Was this Katy Perry's 10th #1 that got away?

Feanor

Such polished pop perfection. :jonny5:

And the carbon copy "Sugar" became a huge smash literally just a year later… she really killed all of the song's potential with that tragic music video. :deadbanana2:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

If the single rollout looked like this, everything would have been Top 10 for the Prism era:

August 2013: Roar

November 2013: Dark Horse

February 2014: Legendary Lovers

May 2014: Walking On Air

August 2014: Birthday

November 2014: Unconditionally

And then a rerelease in February 2015 with Super Bowl.

And then we woke up.

Edited by Imagine Dragon

Yeah, the fact that Sugar smashed just a year later with the same concept for a music video on top of that... She fumbled the bag with this. 

Legendary Lovers, Walking on Air, and Birthday (proper vid) could've done wonders for this era and become bigger than even Teenage Dream.

• Confused 1

Huh.

Literally The One That Got Away which you mentioned in your title.

• Like 1

Yes. This was my favorite song off Prism and one of my favorites in her whole discography. The fact the lyric video has so many more views than the actual video is a pretty big indicator that the music video fell majorly flat. Had she just done a California Gurls 2.0 type music video, it would have 3 billion views and would've gone #1 for several weeks after Dark Horse. It's insane how much pull she lost after that song.

A bit irritating that Maroon 5 smashed with a similar video concept, although I'll admit it was executed way better. 

I could see this song having a "Die for You" type renaissance on Tik Tok though. If it's any song of hers that is most likely to be resurrected it's this one or "Walking On Air"

Edited by Genie in a Bottle

7 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

Huh.

Literally The One That Got Away which you mentioned in your title.

Haha. The One That Got Away not going #1 was so frustrating but kind of expected after five back to back #1's. Her Teenage Dream run is insane. 6 of the 8 singles peaked at 1, Wide Awake at 2, and TOTGA at 3. Every single charted within the Top 3 back when it was organic and much, MUCH harder to do so.

TOTGA should've been the #1 over "Part of Me", cuz she would've broken MJ's record and it's a far more remembered song.

Edited by Genie in a Bottle

she has many, but if she just stuck to doing a basic sexy video like bon appetite but with cakes... wouldve been #1 for weeks 

5 minutes ago, Genie in a Bottle said:

Haha. The One That Got Away not going #1 was so frustrating but kind of expected after five back to back #1's. Her Teenage Dream run is insane. 6 of the 8 singles peaked at 1, Wide Awake at 2, and TOTGA at 3. Every single charted within the Top 3 back when it was organic and much, MUCH harder to do so.

TOTGA should've been the #1 over "Part of Me", cuz she would've broken MJ's record and it's a far more remembered song.

why did I think Wide Awake did go #1? :eek: such an iconic song.

51 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

why did I think Wide Awake did go #1? :eek: such an iconic song.

It went #1 in Canada but Carly blocked her here in the US.

• Like 2

In order of opportunity after "Dark Horse"?

Walking On Air, Legendary Lovers, Ghost, International Smile, Witness (title track), Power. 

I came for her best song and MV i.e. The One That Got Away

I could see an argument for Never Really Over or Chained To The Rhythm but, lmao

Birthday potential was huge but she ruined everything with the video and cursed her career :giraffe: 
it deserved a video more akin to last friday night.

This is the nr1 from that got away from teenage dream. Screams hit

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.