Tate McRae is ineligible for 'Best New Artist' at the 2025 Grammys (Billboard)

KatyPrismSpirit

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almodusa

• KatyPrismSpirit

• laqqinq

• Paultea

Top Posters In This Topic

Chappell seems like the obvious win to me but I feel like they'll give it to Sabrina which is hilarious considering her debut came out nearly a decade ago.

To be honest they should change the name from Best New Artist to Best Breakthrough Artist or something. That would make more sense. Imagine nominating a girl with 5 albums and 10 year long career for a Best New Artist award.

3 hours ago, RihannaRTT said:

Best New Artist is always the MESSIEST category and I just do not understand how all these artists with 10 years in the industry are being called new just bc they underperformed all this time. :rip:

ikr they might as well rename the award to "Congrats On Not Flopping Anymore".

either just scrap the award or change the rules to something that makes sense.

Edited by Mephisto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lmao they're so weird. I really need them to get their **** together with this award. Nothing is more ridiculous than anitta getting a nom after debuting in 2012 :skull:

• Haha 1

Atp just rebrand as best breakthrough artist because this category doesn't make sense 

9 hours ago, RihannaRTT said:

Best New Artist is always the MESSIEST category and I just do not understand how all these artists with 10 years in the industry are being called new just bc they underperformed all this time. :rip:

The 2011-2015 ruleset was the best one imo

• No previous albums
  • No previous Grammy wins

The above actually means the artist is genuinely "new". Them changing it in 2016 has just led to ridiculous nominations and submissions ever since. :rip:

No Grammy wins makes the most sense. Someone can have released albums previously without having a breakthrough so that is a stretch but the Grammy wins makes no sense considering most of the time (if not all) when an artist who's new is nominated they were submitted for Best New Artist and/or nominated. 

Edited by Doctor Dick

they shold change the title to best breakthrough artists because "new" artist is losing all meaning with these girls been in the industry for 6+ years

yeah i agree with naming it best breakthrough artist or something because this so stupid and confusing :rip:

Good, but Sabrina should also be ineligible.  

The rule needs to be: no full length albums released before this year's eligibility period.

The criteria and rules for this category are super messy, but i don't necessarily think the other ones shouldn't be eligible.

Chappell is an obvious winner imo though. 

21 hours ago, laqqinq said:

Tate already submitted three times (the limit). Sabrina didn't lol.

Tate and her team really should've held off on her 3rd submission until she had a proper breakthrough moment (as she has recently). The rules are nonsensical but that's how to play the game. 

Can we go back to having amazing popstars-to-be as BNA and not some of these boring OHWs? Oop

Doesn't Sabrina have like an almost decade-long career already?

Just bcoz she was flopping the whole time doesn't make her a "new" artist now. Same thing with Chappell. Like pls bffr. :toofunny3:

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Doesn't Sabrina have like an almost decade-long career already?

Just bcoz she was flopping the whole time doesn't make her a "new" artist now. Same thing with Chappell. Like pls bffr. :toofunny3:

She had top 40 radio songs

remember thumbs.   If you make any kind of success your not a new artist

13 hours ago, BussC,XOXO said:

yeah i agree with naming it best breakthrough artist or something because this so stupid and confusing :rip:

But they define it as being for the quality of a new artist's material so even that wouldn't work :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.