Which artist's year is Taylor's 2023 comparable to?

GiftFromGod

Herself in 2015/2016. Massive peak, wannabe edgy gays and incels are already throwing hate and will continue as she keeps stomping on their faves, giving her the perfect set up for Reputation TV and so the cycle for her next peak begins again.

Edited by Blue.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Beatles 64, Bee Gees 78, MJ 83, Madonna 89, Britney 00, Adele and Gaga 2011.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Beatles 64, Bee Gees 78, MJ 83, Madonna 89, Britney 00, Adele and Gaga 2011.

I agree with this but not Gaga* 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

Just now, NoOneDiesFromLove said:

Jesus Christ, Year 1

Let's not rewrite history pls. Unlike other girls, He was flopping relentlessly for 30 yrs straight. He didn't reach his peak until Year 33.

ot: Jesus Christ, Year 33

• Haha 13

1 minute ago, dumbsparce said:

Let's not rewrite history pls. Unlike other girls, He was flopping relentlessly for 30 yrs straight. He didn't reach his peak until Year 33.

Girl not the year he died :jonnycat:  

• Haha 1

Elvis in 1959, The Beatles in 1964, Michael Jackson in 1984 (or 1987), Madonna in 1989, Whitney Houston in 1992, Britney Spears in 2000, Lady Gaga in 2010 and Adele in 2015.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, James_Joint said:

I agree with this but not Gaga* 

Lady Gaga's accomplishments during her peak:

- Number one, number two and number four best-selling songs globally in IFPI's year-end chart

- The best-selling album of 2010 according to Mediatraffic

- The most viewed music video of all time (Bad Romance) breaking YouTube's all-time record

- The biggest first week in digital sales history with Born This Way (song)

- The best-selling digital album of all time (The Fame)

- Biggest radio debut (Top 10) of all time in the US with (Born This Way)

- The most followed person on the internet next to Michael Jackson and Barack Obama

- The most searched for in Google in 2010

- Most VMAs in one night (2010)

- One of TIME magazine's People of the Year

- 11 consecutive top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 (that's official singles)

She was absolutely massive. Do you live on Planet Earth? :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

28 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

not church and world icon Jesus Christ serving 0 to 100 and then out :gaycat4:

On a purely commercial basis, if we exclude the tour, I'm relatively certain that the Thriller era was the last time anyone moved as many units in a single calendar year as Taylor did in 2023; recent major peaks, even those that reached stratospheric highs like Gaga and Adele, don't come close, having moved less than half as many units per year in the US (where we have the best data). If you account for the tour, well… I think you'd be hard pressed to find a similar year for any artist in history, since the context of the touring industry in 2023-24 has been vastly different than at any other point.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

not church and world icon Jesus Christ serving 0 to 100 and then out :gaycat4:

he's been terrorizing the religion charts. the male taylor swift :clap3::clap3:

• Haha 1

I would say Adele's 2011

Adele had no rival at that time so as Taylor this year

or Britney's 1999/ 2000

Taylor's 2014/ 15 still had Katy Perry and Adele

Edited by shakeyourbombom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Dick said:

Lady Gaga's accomplishments during her peak:

- Number one, number two and number four best-selling songs globally in IFPI's year-end chart

- The best-selling album of 2010 according to Mediatraffic

- The most viewed music video of all time (Bad Romance) breaking YouTube's all-time record

- The biggest first week in digital sales history with Born This Way (song)

- The best-selling digital album of all time (The Fame)

- Biggest radio debut (Top 10) of all time in the US with (Born This Way)

- The most followed person on the internet next to Michael Jackson and Barack Obama

- The most searched for in Google in 2010

- Most VMAs in one night (2010)

- One of TIME magazine's People of the Year

- 11 consecutive top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 (that's official singles)

She was absolutely massive. Do you live on Planet Earth? :suburban:

I said what I said and I'm not going to read this essay 

I'd say 1985 Madonna.

Unprecedented success - Like a Virgin was the first album by a female artist to be certified 5x platinum in the U.S.

Hit singles - 5 Top 5 hits in the U.S (including two #1s) + 8 Top 5 hits in the U.K.

Tour - The Virgin Tour.

TV - Live Aid, SNL, MTV.

Film - Desperately Seeking Susan.

High-profile relationship - Sean Penn.

Controversy - Playboy / Penthouse nudes.

Fashion - Instead of friendship bracelets, there were fingerless lace gloves, rubber bangles, hair bows and crucifix earrings.

Catalog resurgence - Her first album was re-released internationally and

"Holiday" re-peaked at #2 in the U.K...blocked by Madonna's own "Into The Groove".

Media saturation:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruel Summer said:

On a purely commercial basis, if we exclude the tour, I'm relatively certain that the Thriller era was the last time anyone moved as many units in a single calendar year as Taylor did in 2023; recent major peaks, even those that reached stratospheric highs like Gaga and Adele, don't come close, having moved less than half as many units per year in the US (where we have the best data).

That would be because we're now including all impressions as album consumption now. All streams, including tertiary, are being included as album sales. During Michael Jackson's peak, only sales counted as sales. If you added impressions to his stats, he would still dogwalk every artist except The Beatles.

If you were to include impressions for Michael the way you do for Taylor, his video plays on television would crush Taylor. "Fortnight" did poorly and isn't really a smash by 2024's standards - it got overshadowed by Sabrina Carpenter and Ariana Grande despite having a fanbase stream it heavily. 

I'd love to hear the Swifties' thoughts on how "Fortnight" was bigger than "Thriller" in its debut year, though.

• Like 3

I don't think anything is really comparable because of late in her career she is, and because of how her entire discography is smashing simultaneously

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.