Purple Rain (Prince and The Revolution album) turns 40

Born to Run

en.png

40 years ago today, Prince released "Purple Rain."

• 24 consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200
• Four Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 hits, including three Top 3 hits and two No. 1 hits
• Sold over 25 million copies worldwide
• Added to the National Recording Registry

The GOAT, not my fave album from him but still a masterpiece of musicanship and artistry at his peak. Darling Nikki is my favorite song.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

• Four Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 hits, including three Top 3 hits and two No. 1 hits

That's a... weird way to say it.

This album is just pure shimmering euphoria. That last 5 tracks run is flawless.

Spoiler

I inherited my love and passion for music through my families influences. from the moment i was born his face was all over my sisters walls. mum would scream "turn that dirty little man off" lmao 

he was a constant contribution to my life. my introduction to pirate media and the Internet is all through him. a strange feeling i have is that i feel i can remember so much of my childhood because i had a new album that became the soundtrack to every year. I would buy absolutely everything he was connected with. my collocation is about 300 items. he is in my soul forever.

tl;dr the greatest album of all time by the greatest artist of all time :weeps:

Edited by Mariya Takeuchi
  • Thanks 1

It's one album I never want to end while listening to it. It's just euphoric and brilliant all the way through, which is why I really love listening to the Super Deluxe Edition. It just sounds like a blissful never-ending 80s party.

• Thanks 2

when doves cry was best song on first run through and aged the abosolute worst, my go to for this album now would be computer goddess :sun:

Ugh. One of the best albums of all time. Talk about artistry. The latter half is untouchable. Purple Rain remains the best closing track of any album ever. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.