Why is Inside Out 2 so huge...?

Da Vinci

I don't think it coming for Frozen 2 ($1.4B worldwide) and Incredibles 2 ($600M domestic) was on anybody's bingo card for 2024 especially during Disney's "flop era" and family audiences mostly preferring streaming over theaters this decade. Obviously this was never gonna flop but way this is predicted to outgross Barbie :deadbanana:

Will Moana 2 and Zootopia 2 smash as hard?

• Like 1

The sequel teaser in the first movie had younger me perched for all these years, besides it was a good movie and it made purpose of a sequel that was actually going somewhere instead of being a cashgrab. I guess you could say a bit of... nostalgia too

• Like 4

Let's get one thing straight. Disney is in their flop era, but Pixar is NOT. The only reason Pixar had a couple of "flops" is because Disney kept ******* them around during Covid.

But anyways, people loved the original so of course they showing out for the sequel. It's too soon for me to say that it's better than the original, but it at least matches the quality. Pixar's pen and animation is on FIRE. :jonny5: ALWAYS.

• Like 13

I think it´s mostly because it talks about anxiety, and that allows a more adult public to relate with the movie.

• Like 8

Just now, smartalek22 said:

The sequel teaser in the first movie had younger me perched for all these years, besides it was a good movie and it made purpose of a sequel that was actually going somewhere instead of being a cashgrab. I guess you could say a bit of... nostalgia too

This. Ever since I saw the first one when I was a child I was also waiting for the sequel and I really like how they corporated anxiety in the movie too, very relatable :sosad:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it appeals to both children and young adults who fell in love with the first movie. when I went to see it, my theater had mostly adults watching it.

I don't think the movie is anything particularly special per se, but it is a great sequel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skestina said:

This. Ever since I saw the first one when I was a child I was also waiting for the sequel and I really like how they corporated anxiety in the movie too, very relatable :sosad:

They really understand their audience. And they aren't about making sequels just for the hell of it.

I will always stan them DOWN :jonny3:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

it's good, safe, noncontroversial and it's filling a need for family movies in the summer :bird:

pretty much this!

People very rarely go to the movies anymore so the very few movies that do break out (Barbie, Oppenheimer, Avatar 2, Inside Out 2) become huge

Because the Disney hate train was mostly manufactured. 

The last big Pixar sequel (Toy Story 4) and WDAS sequel (Frozen 2) both made a billion. There is no recent precedent for a Disney animated sequel flopping, so of course IO2 will be a smash too. 

• Like 3

Yes quality, yes numbers.

I haven't seen it yet but the first one was the last great original Disney movie so it makes sense.

Because it's Disney :)

Besides it being a sequel to a successful movie, I also think that it's the first movie released this year that is worth seeing. I loved Furiosa but that was a female-led action movie which never succeed, however besides these 2 movies, the ones released this year were just absolutely dreadful. Very bad selection. Often it happened that I wanted to go to the cinema but there was not 1 good movie available. Until Inside Out 2.

Finally there was something to watch. We can sit here and talk about the decline of cinema going tendencies but movies like Lisa Frankeinstein, IF, The Fall Guy, Quiet Place 3, Kinds of Kindness etc. did not need to be made. No one is asking for these. Of course they flop.

zeze.gif

Because the first one is a beloved classic. 

That's like asking why Toy Story 2 was huge.

Or finding Dory.

Monoculture is fading, and 'Inside Out' is one of the last big franchises everyone knows. The film is okay—not great, just okay.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.