Are music critics getting out of touch?

Meev

This year, with TTPD being panned by music critics everywhere, it had seemed to mark that poptimism was on the wane.

When you look at the highest rated albums on metacritic this year, the only 3 albums from major pop acts that are in the top 150 highest rated albums are Brat, Cowboy Carter and HMHAS, all 3 are ranked within the top 10 albums of the year, with Brat being second and CC being third, and HMHAS being 9th.

Of these entries, as a pop and country fan, I can't fathom how Brat and CC are so high in critical praise. Listening to Brat, it is literally the type of music targeting the lowest denominator gays.

When we talk about white gays listening to the worst music you have ever heard, that basically summarises the whole Brat album to a T. I know a lot of gays are wanting to become music critics due to their love of music in general, but honestly the taste level of the gays in music cannot be trusted.

Cowboy Carter on the other hand is not a good country album. It might be a good Beyoncé album dipping her toes into country, but if you tell any country fan that this album is the highest rated country album of the year, they would tell you that this is outrageous. 

HMHAS is legitimately an amazing album from Billie, and I more than agree with it's score and ranking, but I also feel that Billie is also catering to the music taste of white gays with this album.

All other pop and hip pop acts have been decimated in critical reviews. I do agree that it is a long time coming for the end of poptimism, but I feel that music journalism are being skewed towards to taste of gay men, especially in the area of pop music.

I don't think this is a good thing for the music critic world, as the group of people involved in music critical reviewing is increasing moving away from the taste levels of the average person as well as objective understanding of the music genre(s) that they are reviewing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 10
  • Thumbs Down 73

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Green

• Virgos Groove

• LOTF

i don't actually think its skewing twds the tastes of gay men at all.

my feeling is that things like CC, HMHAS, brat etc are being rewarded for being the kind of records that you can review like a rock album - CC with it big expansive concept and political dimension, billie's album with its more lush sound and structural trickery, brat diving into v meta areas lyrically etc - they all lend themselves to having quite rock crit things to say about them. 

i like the taylor album but i think that reviewers like novelty and clever bits to talk about and it is kinda just another post "taylor is for the dads now" taylor record, albeit the best of that kind imo.

the flaw of critics these days is the same as its always been, they run too much on vibes and are less interested in a decent tune.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They've always been as they've also been unnecessary and outdated 

Edited by dirrtydiana

15 minutes ago, Meev said:

I know a lot of gays are wanting to become music critics due to their love of music in general, but honestly the taste level of the gays in music cannot be trusted.

I strongly disagree with this take.  Most gay men have better-than-average taste in music.  Try going to a regular "straight bar" then go to a gay bar and the difference will be palpable.  Most straight men are content with having mumble rap and bro country on in the background.  If that's your idea of good music then I don't know what to tell you, sis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Just now, JO1s said:

Imagine saying all this while trying to defend an album with dated synths and corny lyrics like ttpd that she recycled from midnights which is what are both actually what you're describing.

He only mentioned TTPD to show that maybe poptism is on the way down

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 7

Just now, ericcartman said:

He only mentioned TTPD to show that maybe poptism is on the way down

Nah we know why the cult member made this thread.

• Thanks 1

Has it ever crossed your mind that TTPD might be a bad album and is rightfully panned, which doesn't have to do anything with poptimism? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Honey.... CC and BRAT are great albums-- even though CC is forgotten after two days and no one irl cares about BRAT. Let them have their cute moment. :skull: but in all seriousness, I kinda agree that this "pop music is back" discourse certainly gives circlejerk energy. Like no one really cares.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.