is Selena's 'Rare' underrated?

goverm3nth0ker

spacer.png

So, I was revisiting her discography and although I always say that Revival/Droplets will be her best era, where she gave us everything and she herself was aware of her superstar power.

I found myself that is the album where I like its tracks the most, and I think is her first album with coherence, and is also really cohesive. Where she co-wrote and proved to have a little bit more out there, however, that performance, her health, the pandemic, her laziness, releasing the album in January, call it whatever... one of the most messy recent eras.

But the album is strong, resonates with the gp. And had too much potential as people you know went viral last year (vulnerable deserved)...Rare is actually, by far, her best album. And it could have been bigger. Do you agree? What do you think this era lacked?

JUSTICE FOR SOUVENIR

Edited by goverm3nth0ker
  • Like 4

it's one of the most overrated records by a female singer this decade alone... the way it received praise for critics with a lifeless and uninspired record says it all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

It has a few cute bops like Vulnerable but overall it's bland and not really all that special, even for Selena's standards. Rebible is still her best album 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julia Fox said:

it's one of the most overrated records by a female singer this decade alone... the way it received praise for critics with a lifeless and uninspired record says it all

Dont u like Sabrina's "emails i cant send" album? Its impossible to don't listen to the similarities of the 2021s Sabrina album to the 2020s Selena album. Unless u're blind by the hate. Cuz its like, in your face. Songs like Skinny Dipping, Vicious and more. My friend no my car thought Skinny Dipping was a Selena song btw. 

Edited by Selegend
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

In all seriousness, how is it overrated when is seldom mentioned in conversations about albums of the 2020s, it recieved an average-good critical reception and it's pulling lukewarm numbers on streaming compared to other 2020 MPG projects?

If anything, it's properly rated (which is not, because it actually has more substance than people give it credit for, period).

• Like 1

Selena's most cohesive album!! Poor single choices (leaving it with just LYTLM as a hit) and lack of promo took the life of it, but its still successful.
A #1 album with 3 Billion Spotify streams. Viral non-single (pyk) with 300m, fan favorites like Feel Me with 170m and Souvenir with 100m. So it is very underrated by the stan world that just hates it for no reason but thankfully not that underrated by the GP!! :clap3:

• Like 1

Just now, WaterDiamonds said:

In all seriousness, how is it overrated when is seldom mentioned in conversations about albums of the 2020s, it recieved an average-good critical reception and it's pulling lukewarm numbers on streaming compared to other 2020 MPG projects?

If anything, it's properly rated (which is not, because it actually has more substance than people give it credit for, period).

it's overrated, that album doesn't even deserve more than 75 on Metacritic and she reached number 1 on all markets and had a very bland Julia reject as number #1. her vocal delivery was lifeless, the lyrics were just there and the production was giving Spotify fodder...where's the substance you are implying? sorry but i know Selena isn't talented and music isn't her main passion but when she serves she serves and Rare was just a misstep, even Stars Dance and When The Sun Goes Down offers more personality than Rare and it says everything about the quality of Rare

Just now, Julia Fox said:

it's overrated, that album doesn't even deserve more than 75 on Metacritic and she reached number 1 on all markets and had a very bland Julia reject as number #1. her vocal delivery was lifeless, the lyrics were just there and the production was giving Spotify fodder...where's the substance you are implying? sorry but i know Selena isn't talented and music isn't her main passion but when she serves she serves and Rare was just a misstep, even Stars Dance and When The Sun Goes Down offers more personality than Rare and it says everything about the quality of Rare

We agree to disagree, calling LYTLM a Julia reject considering it's one of the few songs where we know she was completely hands on in the writing department just doesn't sit right with me.

I agree with you saying that sometimes the vocals feel flat because after 2018 her voice went downhill due to lupus (Compare the Kinda Crazy 2017 demo vs the final version), but she still sounds fine in some tracks, specially Crowded Room, her head voice is very soothing.

I don't think it was a misstep, it just didn't live up to the insane expectations we had after the droplet era, and honestly, it has aged quite gratefully in my opinion, even tho Revelación completely obliterated it.

the music is okay, that's it

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

the oonly album that felt inspired of the girl in your avi sounds like some selena songs lol

• Thanks 1

It was a great album, but the whole era was completely mismanaged with bad single choices. Glad People You Know recieved its flowers thanks to Tiktok, Vulnerable and Souvenir deserved single treatment tho.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, goverm3nth0ker said:

the oonly album that felt inspired of the girl in your avi sounds like some selena songs lol

you haven't listened to singular act 1 and it shows but anyway i dont think it sounds like selena songs they just had julia on the writing credits and that's a very different thing lol anyway love on sounds more like a sabrina song than any sabrina song sounding like selena

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.