Is We Can't Be Friends already on of Ariana's signature hits?

ariananext

I feel like WCBF has become one of Ariana's signature hits in such a short time, but not the TUN or 7 Rings way - huge, in your face, smash hits.

It falls in the same category as One Last Time and Into You for me, not her biggest chart hit (despite being much bigger compared to the other two charts wise) but a moment in pop culture, strongly appreciated by both fans and pop lovers, one of the singles that define her artistry in the long run.

It also gives the same vibes (dreamy pop, the intro is very similar to Into You's). 

What do you think? 

• Confused 1

Yes, so is the video. Excellence won. :giraffe: 

• ATRL Moderator

I don't really see evidence for it being "a moment in pop culture" as you say in OP. I think it's good, but definitely does not feel relevant outside of pop culture fandom, so I don't think "signature hit" really makes sense here.

• Thanks 3

No but eternal sunshine the album will remain a classic in her discography :heart:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I don't really see evidence for it being "a moment in pop culture" as you say in OP. I think it's good, but definitely does not feel relevant outside of pop culture fandom, so I don't think "signature hit" really makes sense here.

The video was a moment in pop culture, nothing close to TUN impact but pretty significant for a music video in 2024. It already surpassed 100 million views in less than 3 months on YT which is like getting 500 million views in the same duration in 2014. The video still gains close to 1 million daily views on that platform despite it coming out over 3 months ago and considering the state of non Latin/K-pop music videos on YT in 2024. The music video impact is what made it surge on streaming which secured the #1 on the Hot 100 release week (no radio at the time) and it was all over TikTok despite UMG efforts to remove the sound due to the dispute with TikTok happening at that time. 

It's also her third best performing song on Hot AC radio (behind NTLTC #4 peak and ROM #3 peak). It's currently #5 there and gaining audience so it's potentially shaping up to be her biggest hit on that format. It also went #1 on pop radio, #1 on the Hot 100, and has strong callout scores. Already surpassed 600 million on Spotify in 3 months and is on track to beat her biggest smash hit 7 rings as her fastest song to 1 billion, and by a large margin too. The stats are there and the synth-pop sound is timeless so it will age really well. I don't see how it's not becoming one of her signature hits considering all these factors. 

• Thanks 4

I really like the song but I disagree, maybe because the song is still too new

23 minutes ago, Tm4074 said:

The video was a moment in pop culture, nothing close to TUN impact but pretty significant for a music video in 2024. It already surpassed 100 million views in less than 3 months on YT which is like getting 500 million views in the same duration in 2014. The video still gains close to 1 million daily views on that platform despite it coming out over 3 months ago and considering the state of non Latin/K-pop music videos on YT in 2024. The music video impact is what made it surge on streaming which secured the #1 on the Hot 100 release week (no radio at the time) and it was all over TikTok despite UMG efforts to remove the sound due to the dispute with TikTok happening at that time. 

It's also her third best performing song on Hot AC radio (behind NTLTC #4 peak and ROM #3 peak). It's currently #5 there and gaining audience so it's potentially shaping up to be her biggest hit on that format. It also went #1 on pop radio, #1 on the Hot 100, and has strong callout scores. Already surpassed 600 million on Spotify in 3 months and is on track to beat her biggest smash hit 7 rings as her fastest song to 1 billion, and by a large margin too. The stats are there and the synth-pop sound is timeless so it will age really well. I don't see how it's not becoming one of her signature hits considering all these factors. 

Exactly!

• Like 1

one of her best songs just based off how she's singing. there's some clunky lyrics here and there but i continue to go back to this even after all the 2024 releases

Yes, imo OLT, TUN, 7r and WCBF are battling for that title 

• Like 1

i disagree hard! I liked this song initially, but it grew old so quickly on me. Its not interesting enough to keep you around after several listens. Its an okay pop song for me, I dont mind hearing it every now and then. As for the big pop culture moment? I'd say that yes, and? That was a response to her being called out so much for her naughty ways. And her big comeback, we all tuned in and were discussing, at least on Twitter

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.