MPG pure album sales since 1999: Britney and Taylor on top

Lana Banana

39 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

OT: if they're gonna count the streams equivalent for the streaming era then they should figure out a way to count the countless times we watched videos on mtv and played their CDs till they scratched lol

This. 

BJW.gif.34b8fb44f6085db3a5df11837d7a16f7

• Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lana Banana

• Blackout2006

• dirrtydiana

• Xtina23

12 minutes ago, Xtina23 said:

ATRL user @Lana Banana - I keep getting notifications of you reacting to my posts and seeing several edits on your comments.

I did not mean to make you sweat defending your itsbritneymeme receipts.

You and @dumbsparce are free to use whichever fan page source makes you happy.

xoxo

tumblr_nxsv932ozy1u6n38po1_400.gif

Girl give it up. It's not about Britney stomping on tanktina anymore. That's a given. If you're gonna complain about miss Banana blowing your notifs up, maybe stop tagging people who have stopped arguing with you over well established facts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Girl give it up. It's not about Britney stomping on tanktina anymore. That's a given. If you're gonna complain about miss Banana blowing your notifs up, maybe stop tagging people who have stopped arguing with you over well established facts.

The girl hasn't left the thread ever since it's been created. Not sure if she knows we can see that ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Say what you want about Britney and Taylor, but both of them knew and know how to market themselves so well.

Britney was the model of a pop star and her influence is still visible nowadays, and even though she's not in activity anymore she still managed to have a top 10 hit in this decade (thanks to Elton too), have the best selling memoir in history and still being one of the most listened artists during the streaming era.

And Taylor, whether you wanna admit it or not, she's a power force in music right now, having a big and diverse catalogue,  a huge and strongful fanbase (similar to Michael Mania), and the highest grossing tour of all time, something that a lot of artists can't brag about.

So while you're concerning about Britney dancing naked or with fakes knives and criticising Taylor for being overrated and blocking other artists to chart at 1# (which is a valid critique imho) they're still making the bank.

Edited by Myah Marie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avril Lavigne had the greatest potential. Her rise to fame but then quick descent into oblivion is tragic.

Shakira is such a legend. Having a 75% non-English discography and listed in the top 10

• Thanks 1

Beyonce's steady growth is really impressive. :clap3:

Too bad her sales will start to lag behind, she is not doing variants and this will her hurt her numbers when compared to others like Taylor, Billie, etc.

Edited by Comedor

Taylor appeals to a much wider audience because she has the singer-songwriter angle as well. I think what's made her so successful is that she combined the super glam, femme, diva pop star of Madonna, Britney etc with the confessional singer-songwriter credibility of an Alanis or Jewel. She has the best of both worlds, and so she appeals to the most amount of people. You get your super pop star fix, but you also get your singer-songwriter fix. Obviously, Madonna and Britney have their singer-songwriter moments, but they never really marketed themselves as that (maybe Madonna during American Life). She's also never marketed herself sexually which I think is quite noteworthy as it marks a real change in what constitutes the #1 female pop star since the days of Britney. Previously when the industry marketed a female pop star being able to 'serve sex' was a big requirement, every other girl that vied for that title had that element, from Katy to Gaga to Rihanna, they all had their sexy videos and performances, but Taylor never did. She kind of single-handedly proved you don't need that anymore and you're seeing it in the younger crop of artists now.

Edited by MatiRod
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MatiRod said:

Taylor appeals to a much wider audience because she has the singer-songwriter angle as well. I think what's made her so successful is that she combined the super glam, femme, diva pop star of Madonna, Britney etc with the confessional singer-songwriter credibility of an Alanis or Jewel. She has the best of both worlds, and so she appeals to the most amount of people. You get your super pop star fix, but you also get your singer-songwriter fix. Obviously, Madonna and Britney have their singer-songwriter moments, but they never really marketed themselves as that (maybe Madonna during American Life).

Madonna's Ray of Light says hello :lakitu:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lana Banana said:

Madonna's Ray of Light says hello :lakitu:

Don't get me wrong I stan 100% and she is just as much a songwriter as Taylor, I'm just talking about the way they're perceived by the public. Madonna has never been able to shake the 'Material Girl' image and the cone bras and being this larger than life controversy artiste, the way people think of her has never been "auteur sitting in her attic writing songs".

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Don't get me wrong I stan 100% and she is just as much a songwriter as Taylor, I'm just talking about the way they're perceived by the public. Madonna has never been able to shake the 'Material Girl' image and the cone bras and being this larger than life controversy artiste, the way people think of her has never been "auteur sitting in her attic writing songs".

I get what you're saying but it's obvious you weren't alive for Erotica to Ray of Light to Music to American Life to Confessions. Taylor could never pull that off. Ever. 

Edited by Lana Banana
  • Thanks 1

Xtina at number 12 after neglecting her music career for so many years is surprising. :celestial2:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lana Banana said:

I get what you're saying but it's obvious you weren't alive for Erotica to Ray of Light to Music to American Life to Confessions. Taylor could never pull that off. Ever. 

Let's get you to bed, Grandma. 

:ryan3:

And Madonna couldn't do folklore & evermore or any of Taylor's country discography. Different strengths. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

26 minutes ago, DevilsRollTheDice said:

Let's get you to bed, Grandma. 

:ryan3:

And Madonna couldn't do folklore & evermore or any of Taylor's country discography. Different strengths. 

Um, okay with the "grandma" assumptions. 

Of course Madonna couldn't do it, she's not basic. Name me a difference between folklore and evermore. Quickly. 

Madonna has Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, American Life, Confessions alone under her belt. Not to mention the tours. What does Taylor have? Millions of teenage girls in cocktail dresses?

Aww my little local latin fave from the favelas of south America up there with all  the major Anglo pop girls. 

Nick Jonas Dancing GIF by NBC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buffy said:

Avril Lavigne had the greatest potential. Her rise to fame but then quick descent into oblivion is tragic.

THIS. I think she had more impact on fashion than any other female artist in the 00s. You couldn't escape the emo-goth chic in '02-'03. 

• Like 1

is this list accurate?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Comedor said:

Beyonce's steady growth is really impressive. :clap3:

Too bad her sales will start to lag behind, she is not doing variants and this will her hurt her numbers when compared to others like Taylor, Billie, etc.

:toofunny2: is this a serious post? Like fr? 

Like, absolutely no one is gonna care if her sales "lag behind" in whatever metric or tactic they'll be using in the coming years to measure so-called popularity. None of that is gonna erase the fact that she is now seen as a certified legend. The young girls are trying to get to her status, she ain't competing with them. To someone like Beyoncé and other older acts, "variants" are for anniversaries.

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pheromosa said:

is this list accurate?

idk gurlllll... the OP used itsbritneymeme as the source.

Take it as you will

tumblr_nxsv932ozy1u6n38po1_400.gif

Not Beyoncé still managing to be in the top 5 despite her lack of excessive promo in the last 13 years. It's almost as if a well rounded music career and platform hinges on more than just sales. Quality and consistency matter just as much. She really set herself up nicely in her youth to be able to do whatever she wanted after age 30. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

Source: itsbritneymeme...

spacer.png

Always a Cristina stan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MatiRod said:

Taylor appeals to a much wider audience because she has the singer-songwriter angle as well.

But the GP doesn't see her as either of those and Madonna grew into her writing as her career flourished and is known as singer songwriter 

Edited by dirrtydiana

24 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

But the GP doesn't see her as either of those

the GP doesn't see taylor swift as a songwriter? :skull: 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, teresaguidice said:

the GP doesn't see taylor swift as a songwriter? :skull: 

Nor a vocalist :skull:

They know she writes but do not hold her to the extent this forum or her fans do 

Edited by dirrtydiana
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, By the Water said:

Britney debuted at the height of album sales... The fact that Taylor passed her speaks volume about the gap in their popularity

Taylor has double the albums. And i don't even begin to count the variants. We'll get to three digits number. :gaycat7:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.