UK newspaper calls Taylor's music "uninteresting, repetitive and entirely basic"

midnightdawn

On 6/16/2024 at 10:13 AM, midnightdawn said:

More a brand than an artist

:clap3: 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arrows

• Kristie Kuwa

• Rihannito

• SylMacPer

Not sure what this thread is supposed to prove exactly. Should we start doing individual threads for all the positive article about Taylor Swift? Like what's up with ATRL's obsession with threading every single odd article that's negative of her? This major copium needs to stop. I promise you it won't make her magically go away :dies:

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 5:07 AM, storminthedark said:

"Anna van Praagh is the Evening Standard's chief content officer" :rip:

I'm the first person to call taylor out but this is just a poorly written article. It offers no cultural commentary other than "people stupid and taylor bland" yet the tone has a huge superiority complex. This is one of the examples of actual internalised misogyny levied at taylor, not the thousand other things Swifities claim.

How to deflect criticism of taylor swift as a swiftie, a flowchart:

- Is the critic a man or nonbinary? ➡️ it's misogyny

- Is the critic a woman? ➡️ it's internalized misogyny

You all need to come up with some new retorts, these are getting old

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Considering how much hate has been sent her way lately its weird how she outstreams and outsells everybody. I guess we'll see with her next album. I have a feeling she's going to not do as well with her next release

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Not a single lie.

I hope it gets a bit quieter soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Taylor Swift Inc. don't need innovation to print money. 

• Thumbs Down 2

I completely agree. It couldnt be said better. Kudos to the writer. :clap3:

Edited by nightowl
  • Like 1

Pretty much sums up her career and fanbase tbh

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

So how does that work then when the only memorable element in her lyrical oeuvre seems to be an obsession with her failed relationships with men. Am I the only person who finds that incredibly reductive? Can you imagine a man constantly defining themselves by who they used to date? It's laughable, and highly regressive.

Imagine trying to pass yourself as an intellectual and then posting this when:

1) It is not true.

2) It is absolutely misogynistic as there are plenty of men artists that solely write about love/relationships and do not get the same flack.

• ATRL Moderator

What a pretentious, dumb article. 

Also, to people in this thread saying "they're right!!"....the writer would probably say the same exact thing about your faves.  They pass off pop acts like the Spice Girls saying they're for "intellectually challenged" people.

IJBOL writing thinking pieces this and that, viral hate tweet this and that, yall still cant put down these people who's busy streaming her music, maybe you are the one should calm your attempt to discredit her.

No one said her music is the most quality one, but I'm not sure how yall convince yourself her music is mid but people tuned in three decades, or GP always get tired of artist with no reinvention but Taylor Swift can stay there for 20 years without anything new.

On 6/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, Kristie Kuwa said:

Wow, the article perfectly describes how I feel about Taylor :clap3:

Queen of sampling stans don't have much room to talk on being innovative and original...

Edited by Sprite

3 hours ago, Sprite said:

Queen of sampling stans don't have much room to talk on being innovative and original...

Girl, HipHop is deeply rooted in the ART of sampling. Learn ur history. 

Reality: Taylor doesnt have an album as ambitious and genre-bending as Lemonade, an album as seamless and progressive as Renaissance, an album as challenging as CC.

Its all samey, which again is no surprise since theres only so much u can do with the same producers and that vocal range

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:40 AM, Punky Rooster said:

I wish they would stop comparing Taylor to Madonna, they aren't even remotely similar artists even if Madonna is the gold standard when it comes to what a pop star is.

Yea they should stick to comparing her to Beatles

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2024 at 9:38 AM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

I mean it's pop music 

It's ok JoJo Siwa's gonna save it. 

I can understand finding her music basic and even not liking her as a person. But I'm not sure why we are threading bitter Tumblr rants disguised as "newspaper articles."

Fair,  valid & completely reasonable! 

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.