UK newspaper calls Taylor's music "uninteresting, repetitive and entirely basic"

midnightdawn

48 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Madonna's discography has far more dimension, but to be charitable, we can't pretend she didn't give us Killers Who Are Partying and Funana. :rip:

Ok I'll give you the horrid Funana, but Killers is actually brilliant

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arrows

• Kristie Kuwa

• Rihannito

• SylMacPer

it's true and they should say it! 

no more of these publications and award shows pretending and gaslighting us. enough! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Take podcasts away from straight men and journaling pieces about female artists away from gay men please god 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

I understand the point of view of the author, but they seem to go too far. She deserves her flowers because she's worked very hard to get to where she is right now. And she also has some good lyricism and ear for the songs. So I think it's the excessive lashings are unnecessary.

I do agree that she's overrated in some ways, but then she represents the society of today. People see themselves in her because she embodies that spirit. The ME culture, the capitalism, the online drama fictions. 

This is not the 80s or the 90s anymore. 

They spilledT the tea mefears

5 minutes ago, Rihannito said:

Completely agree. But i'm sure there are far more intresting subjects that she can evoke in her songs. Her failed relationships, her being the victim everytime and vengeance has been her main subjects besides some exceptions. Her latest effort being based on a relationship that has lasted for 3 months and her kim feud that is a decade old.  So yeah her music is so 2012, because she still lives in her early 20's days and refuses to grow up and touch more intresting subjects and lead the pack since she is the most succesful artist at the moment, instead she gives us lyrics like karma is a cat and releases albums with almost 40 songs and 133874646 variants for the sake of dinero 💰. After all, she is the daughter of Scott Kingsley Swift, so no surprise there.

I get your point, but I don't entirely agree!

TTPD is not her strongest album and upon announcement I was not sure about an entire record written over her past relationship! But tbh when she released these songs I knew that there's loads of exaggeration and her approach is dramatic because she's dramatic as a person! She was like that since the beginning, way before her massive success! Her refusing to grow up became her brand and I actually like it (and obviously many others too!).

Folklore and Evermore were the proof of evolution when she needed it! And that's 3-4 years ago!

Let her play and be ambitious for now! She will bounce back!

Her overexposure era is back in time for rep tv

:suburban:

I wish they would stop comparing Taylor to Madonna, they aren't even remotely similar artists even if Madonna is the gold standard when it comes to what a pop star is.

• Like 6

Speak on it. Anyone who ever entertained comparing her to Joni Mitchell, Madonna and Michael Jackson should be certified.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Swift's music sounds to me like what I would listen to if I had the intellect of a very small worm.

tumblr_p2xyrnIXFu1tdnbbbo2_640.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 2

Glad to see and appreciate that this OTH is employed and writing for a newspaper:clap3::clap3:, unlike most of their jobless kind who can only vent their frustration on an Internet forum

• Thumbs Down 2

She made most of people feeling relatable and seen and heard, that's always the reason why she can stay relevant even with basic music and not so much singing ability, as a (well now almost an ex) Swifty for over a decade, her position has always been the same, you will never feel threatened or out of reach by her, she has no edge and that's what makes her approachable.

Bey and Gaga and other artists definitely have more talent and a special style on their stuff, but they are edgy and have a clear image attached to their names, they can secure a die hard fan base but not enough for general tastes.

Taylor Swift had never tried to be edgy or artistry, she's very consistent on being a product, even with folklore and evermore, she did step up her music, but those 2 albums kinda downplayed her popularity, so she went back to Midnights with Anti Hero, catchy and flashy style as she used to be.

She did improve with her growing old and maturing, you can see that from Lover to Midnights, but then TTPD was a huge downgrade of her "maturing", she went back to that little blonde and innocent girly style, whining all the time like a teenager, but her sale numbers are going higher and higher, so why would she change back to a mature style?

For most of people they just want to relax and have fun while listening to music, they don't even think of art or anything else, that's why now Sabrina is smashing too, people just want to chill, not to be giving a lesson or hearing any hidden messages.

• Like 1

They will never make me hate you and your music Taylor Swift!

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Its interesting to see more and more writers begging for Pop artists to be more adventurous.

I think her being this successful with music that isn't pushing any needles bothers people. I will say the lyrics isn't the biggest issue, it's the arrangements. They're so flavorless everytime I try to recall my favorite tracks off folklore I have to go back and listen again to jog my memory. They don't stick. She needs a collaborator that can bring more interesting compositions to the table. idc if you talk about relationships, I do care if its over a basic arrangement with the life EQ'd out of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I agree The Tortured Poets Department could have been edited better though but the rest of the article is meh. The comparisons to Madonna are a bit weird cause Madonna is The Madonna. Are they all forgetting the cultural impact she had?

Edited by Princess Aurora

By comparison Swift's music sounds to me like what I would listen to if I had the intellect of a very small worm. Not only is it uninteresting, repetitive and entirely basic, her lyrics are brain-numbingly banal. Take the following: "You smoked, then ate seven bars of chocolate/We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist/I scratch your head, you fall asleep/Like a tattooed golden retriever." Or "My muses, acquired like bruises", or "even statues crumble, if they're made to wait".

It's all absolute nonsense.

She's completely over-rated as a songwriter and lyricist. Those are normally the main things people use to praise or defend her because they know she can't sing or perform, but she's actually not that good a writer either.

• Like 9
  • Thumbs Down 3

This is exactly why comparisons to her being the next MJ or Madonna make zero sense. She is not a champion for change. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Take podcasts away from straight men and journaling pieces about female artists away from gay men please god 

The journalist is a woman :skull:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

the fact that this reads like a stan twitter/atrl rant says alot about its credibility :zzz:

Ouch. Tay is overrated tbh. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Carla Rosón said:

Ok I'll give you the horrid Funana, but Killers is actually brilliant

Its necessary to understand the culture behind Funana, Madonna did it so good. Its sad people say that the song is horrible without trying to understand it. Liking a song is a choice, not understand it is being dumb.

they spilled

I enjoy some of her music (two and a half albums in total) but it's about charts not arts for her, which turns me off so much

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.