UK newspaper calls Taylor's music "uninteresting, repetitive and entirely basic"

midnightdawn

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arrows

• Kristie Kuwa

• Jay07

• ForgottenSoul

9 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

By comparison Swift's music sounds to me like what I would listen to if I had the intellect of a very small worm.

they should do background checks and forbid stan twitter gays to write articles, im not reading this **** further

• Like 17
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 11

Can they please just stick to calling out her greedy chart obsessed practices and pointing out that she is a self-absorbed, egocentric, anti-woman capitalist? Even if some lyrics suck from that last album, it still has some decent songs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

I would've agreed with this article if the author had at least named some of Taylor's peers that are doing more interesting music than her 

The article starts with them discussing popular acts of the 90s 

its just giving bitter gen x 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

Not this clickbait tabloid lol! Smart of them to try to appeal to her parasocial haters tbh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

I understand the criticisms but the fact that millions flock to her tour means she is doing something right. I feel like people who don't understand her appeal greatly underestimate the emotional aspect of music, and this is something Taylor excels at. Her music may not be as pushing as Madonna was, but people have always gravitated towards Taylor because of how she makes them feel, connect, and relate.

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

I physically flinch when adults tell me they love Swift.

Tell me you're mentally ill without telling me you're mentally ill. I'm sure a lot of Atrl will see themselves in this "article" :dies: See if I were jobless, I'd make a thread about every single positive article from actual UK newspapers about her and the Eras Tour but then again it's been quite fascinating watching a lot of regular culprits in this thread sink deeper into parasocial hatred of her than the fans they claim to look down on. :deadbanana2: Like, I used to think Taylor Swift was really impactful but I'm still getting surprised at how irrational and vitriolic she makes her haters. I pray life gives y'all some actual problems to worry about though, because it's giving chronically online dwelling that's literally rotting your brains. :dancehall:

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I mean it's pop music 

That's exactly how id describe her music 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

spacer.png

• Haha 7

She's just a bad person in general and her fans are too blind to see that:lakitu:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

There's a serious problem with the woman writing this "article".

First of all it's just her opinion! Then she's extremely rude to people who like Taylor's music, belittling them and their intelligence! At the same time she only compares her to artists from the 80s & 90s and most of them are Rock acts!  She clearly doesn't know or like Pop music! Giving an example of one lyric from a song as a "bad lyric" actually cancels the examples of amazing writing from older and better Taylor records. 

Also, trashing Taylor for writing about her relationships is so 2012! In a world where it is accepted for rappers to call women "b*tches", I find it offensive when women criticise other women about singing/writing about their failed relationships. That is such a boomer approach to an evolving pop culture! 

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Down 1

ok, to be fair, her music isn't all that much repetitive, not that it would be bad if it was, but it just isn't

as for the other two tho.....

I can't say I disagree

Edited by Petra von Kant

1 minute ago, SylMacPer said:

Also, trashing Taylor for writing about her relationships is so 2012!

I think it's disingenous to downplay the signifiance of what Taylor does. She has a massive audience, and she knows what she's doing in turning her legions of fans against people she claims to have once cared about. And it's one thing to write a few songs about people who have majorly impacted your life, but it's nasty to do it constantly and then paint yourself as some big victim. I think Matty Healy is an awful person, for example, but the fact that most of that new album is clearly about him (while she also stomps her feet and throws a tantrum about why that wasn't problematic) speaks volumes about her character.

I would be seriously weirded out if a guy I dated for a few months wrote an entire album about me. So either she's doing it because she's immature and doesn't see how unhealthy that is. Or she's just using people as fodder to get attention and to get people to buy her albums. Which is it? Either way, she is a creep.

Alanis on when she wrote Unsent:

This is a song called "Unsent". And I wrote this song last summer, started off by writing the first verse and.... once I wrote about this one particular person in a letter that I had not had the courage to send to them, I realized that there were about fifty people that I could write about but I wasn't sure that I wanted to write a song that was going to be an hour long so... I got the top five or six people that I really wanted to have closure with and I think it's... it was one of the most... closure-inducing songs to say the least, and some of them I actually finished the record and couldn't sleep for a long time because well there were several things on the record that made it so that I couldn't really sleep very well knowing that I was about to share it with a bunch of people. But this song in particular... I felt like I needed to call a few people before I actually released this song, so I did. And the song itself actually forced me to deal directly with these people because it's so easy to write a song about something... In the past something would happen to me and I would run somewhere and write about it, and not necessarily talk directly to the person. It was very convenient and it resulted in a lot of release but not necessarily in a lot of closure so, this song I thought I was gonna get away with that once again, and because I couldn't sleep I knew that I was, my plans were foiled. So I had to actually call these people and they were all very very sweet about it, they appreciated the fact that I called them. And now when I sing it I know that I can sing it with permission and blessing, really.[3][4]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Anna van Praagh is the Evening Standard's chief content officer" :rip:

I'm the first person to call taylor out but this is just a poorly written article. It offers no cultural commentary other than "people stupid and taylor bland" yet the tone has a huge superiority complex. This is one of the examples of actual internalised misogyny levied at taylor, not the thousand other things Swifities claim.

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, SylMacPer said:

There's a serious problem with the woman writing this "article".

First of all it's just her opinion! Then she's extremely rude to people who like Taylor's music, belittling them and their intelligence! At the same time she only compares her to artists from the 80s & 90s and most of them are Rock acts!  She clearly doesn't know or like Pop music! Giving an example of one lyric from a song as a "bad lyric" actually cancels the examples of amazing writing from older and better Taylor records. 

Also, trashing Taylor for writing about her relationships is so 2012! In a world where it is accepted for rappers to call women "b*tches", I find it offensive when women criticise other women about singing/writing about their failed relationships. That is such a boomer approach to an evolving pop culture! 

Completely agree. But i'm sure there are far more intresting subjects that she can evoke in her songs. Her failed relationships, her being the victim everytime and vengeance has been her main subjects besides some exceptions. Her latest effort being based on a relationship that has lasted for 3 months and her kim feud that is a decade old.  So yeah her music is so 2012, because she still lives in her early 20's days and refuses to grow up and touch more intresting subjects and lead the pack since she is the most succesful artist at the moment, instead she gives us lyrics like karma is a cat and releases albums with almost 40 songs and 133874646 variants for the sake of dinero 💰. After all, she is the daughter of Scott Kingsley Swift, so no surprise there.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.