Sabrina Carpenter's autoplay goes viral

Talento

Queen is making the haters fume!

Just now, mike_int said:

Spotify has over 600 million subscribers.

12 millions is just 2% of subscribers, easily half of that can be from autoplay.

Highly doubt it, if you actually monitored this stuff, it usually adds about a million streams for some tracks, less than that for others. 

The song is also HUGE on ALL of the streaming platforms so saying half could be from autoplay is ridiculous. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Yakult said:

Autoplay used to be great for discovering new music. The rate at which certain songs are getting  pushed is becoming annoying tho. I'm getting tracks from the Billie Eilish album no matter what genre I'm listening to.

Exactly. If I'm listening to berlioz I wanna be recommended similar jazz alternative songs, not freaking BOAF after every. Single. Song

I just know that all of the sudden 10million+ songs we had lately on spotify were because of autoplay 

And people saying it's not that much. I remember before when Sabrina's Nonesense started getting autoplay it added like 1million streams and autoplay is bigger atm. 

• Thumbs Down 1

People just want to complain. You can turn the autoplay feature OFF and listen to whatever you like :rip: if you want to find artists, listen to playlists. This has been a thing for years now. 

Labels are simply using what's available to them to make their content successful, from auto play to dozens of variants.

Be mad at Spotify for launching this payola program. And be mad at Billboard for having charts that are easy to manipulate.:michael:

Wouldnt be mad if PPP just starts playing, its such a good song, plus ESPRESSO is THAT SONG Too

it seems haters are fuming already

queen is here to STOMP STOMP STOMP

Tsareena Stomp GIF - Tsareena Stomp Feet - Discover & Share GIFsTsareena Stomp GIF - Tsareena Stomp Feet - Discover & Share GIFsTsareena Stomp GIF - Tsareena Stomp Feet - Discover & Share GIFs

It is a hit. Stop the BS

3 hours ago, Lose My Breath said:

Highly doubt it, if you actually monitored this stuff, it usually adds about a million streams for some tracks, less than that for others. 

The song is also HUGE on ALL of the streaming platforms so saying half could be from autoplay is ridiculous. 

You also have to listen to at least 30 seconds of the song for the stream to count, so people are clearly listening and not immediately skipping it. This is the big difference between autoplay and classic radio payola. With radio, spins count whether people are choosing to actively listen to it or not. With Spotify you have to choose to listen to at least some of it or it doesn't count. There's far more consumer control than stan twitter thinks. 

Anyways Sabrina is definitely benefitting from autoplay exposure but Espresso and Please x3 success doesn't exist in a Spotify vacuum. They've been relatively stable across a number of platforms this past week. As of yesterday these were Please's streaming stats:

US Apple Music — #1
US YouTube — #1
US Spotify — #1
Genius — #2 
US iTunes — #5
US Amazon — #5
US Amazon Best-Sellers — #8
US Shazam — #15

Sure the Spotify numbers are probably partially inflated but not in a way that actually takes away from the fact that the song is a hit. Autoplay is not enough to make a GP hated song #1. Maybe it'd make a flop a top 40, but not a top 10. You can push a song on a people all you like but if they don't like it it will still flop. 

Also autoplay is a lot of positive feedback. The top performing songs will get pushed at a higher rate because they're top performing. It's not the seedy witchcraft stan Twitter has made it. It's not turning a moldy pumpkin into a shiny carriage. 

Edited by Poptart89

she's doing great in other plataforms although this push might be unecessary, it isnt that bad.

9 hours ago, duadududt said:

the song became viral because people liked it, you can't force people to like your song.

No but you can sure can force them to listen to it and make it catch on faster. You can pay to make it dominate the streaming market and influence listeners.

Sabrina has had blatant autoplay since Nonsense but now with Short and Sweet the GP actually latched on

I'm pretty sure that most of the people defending Sabrina are the same ones that spent years call Dua Lipa a TTH artist.

22 hours ago, Kanes said:

Switch autoplay off.

No one is claiming that it can't be switched off, but most people just leave every app on default settings, so most people will get songs that are pushed by autoplay.

This is from 10 years ago, but I don't think a lot has changed. They found 95% of users keep the default options with their programs.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/01/default-settings-change-phones-computers

I don't use autoplay much but usually if it plays a song I don't like I change it. Do many people really let songs they don't actually enjoy listening to play all the way through?

Interesting that mainstream media is suddenly parroting stan twitterd narratives. Not a big fan of Sabrina but something tells me that some people in the industry are threatened of her growing fame and success 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.