'Dopamine' debuts with 2.8m on Spotify / Day 2: 1.8m

dillan

Bad numbers but tbh who launches a debut album with no music videos (on release date or prior), no radio singles, no physicals, no pre order, a tracklist 3 days before… etc etc :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apolonio

• SoldierofLove

• Ethereal

• dillan

This Charli XCX kind of flop... :rip:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 16

Why would you wait years to make an album and then do no promo :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dillan said:

the difference here is that I would say Chloe actually wants to release music (and she has a fan base with her sister and Beyoncé support)

Normani taking 5.5 years to release this proves she doesn't care that much (and if she did, she would have released random independent music outside of this release and without label support in between)

messed up to say this about someone who has publicly stated that they put their album on hold while BOTH their parents underwent treatment for CANCER but you do you ig

EDIT: oh and you created this thread as well just to revel in this woman's struggles. nice.

Edited by fromily
new info
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

??? charli's latest album debut with like 18 million 

• Like 14

And people called Radical Optimism a bomb :ahh:

Honestly, that was always going to happen. People just aren't into Normani, the GP has no idea she even exists. Twitter vibes =/= real life demand.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Huh?

Charli XCX just debuted with 15M

• Like 4

At least the album is good and it's not like they're even trying to make this album a success.

• Like 1

Normarni obviously won't get any hits from this era, so they should've done the Billie route. Announced the album cover + name and release the album with no pre-release singles a month later

The numbers probably would be even worse, but the main goal is to get the album out

Word of mouth marketing would benefit this era a lot since I've seen a lot of people on social media genuinely like this

:michael:

It's a shame, because there are multiple could-be hits on this album. I have no clue what her label is thinking :rip: What a bad look for them. Normani and her music producers exceeded expectations, though.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Baby Charli did 80M in her first week :skull:

• Like 2

She debuted 1/108th of Taylor's recent album, legend. :clap3:Stream All Yours, Grip, Little Secrets, and Candy Paint

The album was actually good. And if she's given more singles I can see her having a hit in All Yours for example. But I'm scared for her, I can sense her getting the same treatment as Chloe. The label won't invest in her future projects and she'll be in limbo 

The fact this is surprising to anyone is the real surprise. Normani released the album after YEARS of announcing it, the management wasn't good and she has no following as of now. The good thing is, she dropped a flawless album that regardless of numbers is great.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cain said:

Baby Charli did 80M in her first week :skull:

And it debuted #3 in the US and #2 in the UK

Normani will be lucky to debut in the top 100

Some people just say anything at this point  :skull: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

judgejudylaugh.gif

20 minutes ago, Parallel said:

The album was actually good. And if she's given more singles I can see her having a hit in All Yours for example. But I'm scared for her, I can sense her getting the same treatment as Chloe. The label won't invest in her future projects and she'll be in limbo 

Difference is that Chloe had Parkwood. In Pieces bombed, but she was still promoting it everywhere, there was a video for Cheatback during release week (after many other videos) and she still toured in a small scale as a headliner, in spite of twitter mocking her ass for flopping. This year only she has bagged Coachella and it's currently dropping songs for a sophomore album, even if nothing has clicked so far with the R&B GP. RCA washed their hands with Dopamine so Normani's management needs to come through and put her out there. Normani's advantage is that people are warming up to Dopamine better than In Pieces so it's time to start building upon good will for a sophomore release. It's really givin amateurism how they are handling the project for its debut week - it's arguably the most important one for every release…

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Starkboy said:

all of this when no sane person is claiming she's the next big thing in 2024. :rip:

Thank you.

It's been evident for some time that she isn't aiming to become a massive pop sensation. The fact she only tweeted about the album two times and then moved on, should be quite indicative of that. Besides, none of us fans ever claimed we were expecting more than 10 million on Spotify in 24 hours.

Yes, the album might be considered a commercial flop, but considering all the challenges during its release and Normani and her team's apparent indifference, we're just glad to have received such an outstanding body of work.

Edited by Ethereal
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

:skull:

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Is this enough for top 5 on Billboard??

They gonna come for Taylor for blocking her from #1 😂😂😂

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Digitalism said:

Why would you wait years to make an album and then do no promo :rip:

Right. Her ass needs to be doing something. Go sit on Jimmy Fallon or whatever. Go on Kelly Clarkson. She deserves to flop if she can't even get this right. :dies:

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone expected this to do serious numbers when there wasn't a hit/viral song carrying it, the rollout has been atrocious, multiple delays, etc etc.

I am just so happy the album serves QUALITY and she delivered. The album could also get a second wind with the right single taking off (lets hope)!

14 hours ago, Ethereal said:

I don't care what anyone says. For an album with minimal promo, no visuals beforehand, and multiple delays, no one expected great numbers. But she carved out a unique sound with top-tier material, stellar production, and fantastic songs. She exceeded everyone's expectations, showcasing her artistry with attention to melodies, sultry vocals, and incredible ad-libs. This is undoubtedly one of the best releases of 2024, regardless of what you miserable twinks on ATRL

say. This is a win for both Mani and Nation.

I hope the numbers improve, but she'll be fine in the long run. This is just the beginning for her, and unlike some ex-girl group members and recording artists alike,  this won't be her peak.

PLEASE tell me this is a really, really bad joke :rip:

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

She deserves way better because the album is really good… but what I will say based on Tinashe's experience with RCA is that I wouldn't be surprised if Normani wasn't on great terms with the label. RCA knows what goes into a successful rollout because there are plenty of other artists, like Tate, that get a much better backing for their debut with even less chart success. Normani has been open about her personal struggles delaying the album, but it's hard for me to believe that she personally chose to release only 4 songs over a period of 6 years. The moment Motivation wasn't a smash out the gate, RCA seemed to put her on the back burner and then her career was in limbo. It was the exact same for Tinashe after Pretend didn't perform how they intended and she had to fight and take legal action before they gave her the okay to release more material and that took her 4 years. I hope Normani can see the value in signing with a major for management, then going with an indie label that can focus more on her when it comes to the material. That would give her a better path to building a fanbase and showing her talents. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.