Is Say So the most influential record of the 2020s decade so far?

frankvert

Yes if you're a braindead person
No, cause most of the songs in that Twitter Thread are not even REMOTELY similar to Say So except for Closer and Espresso

Seriously Coconuts, Big Energy are Say So replicas? :bibliahh:h
Big Energy has that DISTINCT Sample, remember?
Its like saying Mariah's Fantasy is a Say So Replica

you have GOT to be joking
this is a 100% satire thread

Also, most of the tracks are products of Dr Luke & his team
Why not add Peacock and throw Boots & Boys and some other Dr Luke Tracks and call it a day?

• Haha 2

Maybe yes but don't get too carried away for that

It all goes back to late 70s and 80s with these songs in the form of Funk Disco/Pop

with this notion, I understand where it's coming from but for this lane I think I'd give it to Don't Start Now over this tbh

but anyway… idk for sure! I feel like there are a lot of valid answers to that query

7 hours ago, Attaboy said:

No def not. It's catchy and glossy but also totally hallow 

Which other song do you think is more influential?

(Also this is about influence, not how it sounds)

42 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

with this notion, I understand where it's coming from but for this lane I think I'd give it to Don't Start Now over this tbh

but anyway… idk for sure! I feel like there are a lot of valid answers to that query

"Don't Start Now" is a phenomenal pop song, but compared to "Say So" and "Blinding Lights" it surprisingly didn't spawn as many wannabes - at least in the anglophone world. Not to mention "Say So" 's influence isn't only for bringing back this vintage disco-pop sound, but also the bubblegum, girly hot pink aesthetics and how it reinterpreted Nicki's "Super Bass" blueprint to create an undeniable crossover formula for female rappers, which then extended to the k-pop world and currently Sabrina Carpenter as a surefire way to evoke summer in music form.

That being said, Dua's "Levitating" did get a few attempts of recapturing its magic:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigBangStan said:

Dr. Luke did that type of sound before with Kim Petras 

This sounds nothing like Say So :toofunny3: 

Pure 2010s synth pop, while Say So calls back to 70s disco 

• Like 1

Yes, Expresso sounds like old Doja. I was shocked out how similar it was and very few people bring it up but now I enjoy Expresso on its own and I barely think about Say SO when listening.

Are there other examples? Expresso sticks out as the most notable one...this shows Doja has developed a sound and carved out her lane...as I predicted years ago.

i remember atrlers saying say so is a copy of a song. most prob some kpop i had forgotten. but say so isn't exactly original to begin with

4 hours ago, discreetinside said:

Maybe yes but don't get too carried away for that

It all goes back to late 70s and 80s with these songs in the form of Funk Disco/Pop

and Doja brought this sound back from the trap bullshit hell we were in pre 2020. Lets thank her :clap3:

Disco music has just been in for a few years now I'm not sure if we can just credit doja when similar sound were being made even a year before. You could maybe say Don't start now and Blinding lights started it and Say so cemented it.

15 hours ago, Mrnoniee said:

Yes if you're a braindead person
No, cause most of the songs in that Twitter Thread are not even REMOTELY similar to Say So except for Closer and Espresso

Seriously Coconuts, Big Energy are Say So replicas? :bibliahh:h
Big Energy has that DISTINCT Sample, remember?
Its like saying Mariah's Fantasy is a Say So Replica

you have GOT to be joking
this is a 100% satire thread

Also, most of the tracks are products of Dr Luke & his team
Why not add Peacock and throw Boots & Boys and some other Dr Luke Tracks and call it a day?

BE wasn't a Say So replica, but she definitely used Doja formula for sure.  

Pop-rap Dr Luke beat using a recognizable sample (like KMM). Round it out with flashy colorful performances with full out choreography (a first for her) + a remix from a legend to boost it. They followed damn near same marketing plan lol.  

But yeah, Latto real Say So replica was "Lottery" — no denying that, it's exact same vein as SS. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.