Europe's music tastes becoming more local

SoldierofLove

According to Spotify.

The amount of royalties generated by European Union artists on Spotify has tripled in the past six years, and listeners' tastes are becoming increasingly local.

So says Spotify's inaugural European Union-focused Loud & Clear report, which for the first time breaks down Spotify listener and royalty data specifically for the European Union.

The report also found that listeners' tastes are becoming increasingly local, with 44% of the royalties generated in the EU going to EU artists. Spotify says that's the highest percentage since it started tracking this data in 2017.

German artists accounted for 73% of the titles featured in the German daily top 50 in 2023.

The report also found that 71% of artists appearing in the daily top 50 in France in 2023 were French. 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/europes-music-tastes-becoming-more-local-as-royalties-from-spotify-triple-in-just-6-years1/

https://loudandclear.byspotify.com/#introduction

Interesting :gaycat5: 

Is this report accurate for European ATRL gays? Do you have local taste in music? 

• Like 1

I listen to a lot of music but 2/3 of my favorite artists are from Sweden like me so I guess you could say my taste is local? idk!

The other one is Lana Del Rey but I feel like the entire world loves her! :heart:

• Like 1

eu male mostly listen to local rap now, straight junky toxic drug addict guys actually come for hip-house beat lately. voguing along good old drill tracks or some

girls center around dua type music and spam espresso all day to local h&m playlists. oh and edm tracks here and there

• Like 2

Yeah I've been noticing this for a very long time. I don't know if it has to do with growing up or what, but when I was a kid all of us were obsessed with Britney spears, DC, justin timberlake and so on and then even as a teenager lady gaga, katy perry and rihanna were everywhere and people were talking about them. We were consuming a lot of American music and media in general.

Now I'm in my late 20s and almost nobody I know irl listens to foreign music like that anymore. Sure you'll hear the occasional hit out and about at the mall or stores but it's not like people would play it at home or on their phone. 

Again, might be an age thing too as I'm not very in touch with what the kids are into nowadays; but I have a co-worker who's niece is obsessed with Taylor swift and they're even flying her abroad to see her in concert so maybe that feeling is still there for some. 

• Like 5

Well It means that us music became very local sounding and only appeals to locals, americans. End of soft power I guess....

That is true though. I guess the US decline is real 

• Like 3

I prefer music from countries like Italy, Serbia, Sweden and Turkey. I often find American music boring these days. I think it's a good trend and promotes diversity.

Yes, has been that way since 2016 when HipHop Rap became more popular on the charts and it just stayed that way. It constantly evolves which makes it kinda interesting but Ive stopped following about 3-4 years ago

This makes sense. Local hip-hop is way more popular here than American music BUT I think that goes for straight audience because all gays seem to share the same taste and it's UK and US music 

it's true. in my country German music has become more popular than ever (both pop and rap), it's dominating the charts and even festivals are dominated by local artists. the few international hits mostly originate from tiktok these days. 

It makes sense, it honestly feels like production value of music and music videos in EU has increased so much, in my country (Serbia) artists are releasing new singles and videos and local girls are touring and having concerts much more frequently than before. 

I haven't actually looked into the data for it but i feel like also with Eurovision we're seeing way more acts comfortably singing in their native tongue as opposed to opting straight to sing in English? I love it tbh, discovering local music scenes is one of my fav things to do on vacations

Yeah, speaking from a Portuguese perspective, I've noticed there are way more local acts going #1 in comparison to the 2010s (and the recent radio quotas are only going to make local music even more popular).

I think streaming made it way easier for local acts to compete in the charts. Plus, local rap music was always popular, but there was no accurate way to measure it since iTunes never took off here.

I gotta say though, I've tried multiple times to find Portuguese artists that excite me and... not that many do it for me. :deadbanana4:  The local scenes are either:

• hip hop tuga, which is... fine, I guess, but European rap still hasn't found its true identity if you ask me (though I did have a Wet Bed Gang phase a couple of years ago. I still don't where that came from. :dies:);
  • "sofrida" singer-songwriters, with some of the worst lyrics you've ever heard (Bárbara Tinoco, Carolina Deslandes, etc.);
  • Lisbon singers forcing "Portugalidade" to the point where it feels like they're mocking the listener (Pedro Mafáma in particular, who deserves to be tried for that Preço Certo song).

Slow J, Vanyfox and Eu.Clides are the only ones that made it on my playlist, and I enjoyed the latest Ana Moura and Sara Correia albums too. Everything else... no, thanks!

qd09F07.gif

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Yeah, speaking from a Portuguese perspective, I've noticed there are way more local acts going #1 in comparison to the 2010s (and the recent radio quotas are only going to make local music even more popular).

I think streaming made it way easier for local acts to compete in the charts. Plus, local rap music was always popular, but there was no accurate way to measure it since iTunes never took off here.

I gotta say though, I've tried multiple times to find Portuguese artists that excite me and... not that many do it for me. :deadbanana4:  The local scenes are either:

• hip hop tuga, which is... fine, I guess, but European rap still hasn't found its true identity if you ask me (though I did have a Wet Bed Gang phase a couple of years ago. I still don't where that came from. :dies:);
  • "sofrida" singer-songwriters, with some of the worst lyrics you've ever heard (Bárbara Tinoco, Carolina Deslandes, etc.);
  • Lisbon singers forcing "Portugalidade" to the point where it feels like they're mocking the listener (Pedro Mafáma in particular, who deserves to be tried for that Preço Certo song).

Slow J, Vanyfox and Eu.Clides are the only ones that made it on my playlist, and I enjoyed the latest Ana Moura and Sara Correia albums too. Everything else... no, thanks!

qd09F07.gif

I hate most of it, but I lowkey enjoy Barbara Tinoco, she's cute af and loved seeing her live :heart:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tjspy said:

I hate most of it, but I lowkey enjoy Barbara Tinoco, she's cute af and loved seeing her live :heart:

Yeah, she's princess. I saw her live and it was really fun, but the music...

britney-spears-cover-ears.gif

• Haha 1

Good to see that the European music scene is thriving, I wish and hope the British music scene gets new energy soon since the UK chart is so American dominated right now :rip:

8 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

eu male mostly listen to local rap now, straight junky toxic drug addict guys actually come for hip-house beat lately. voguing along good old drill tracks or some

girls center around dua type music and spam espresso all day to local h&m playlists. oh and edm tracks here and there

Yeah kind of, but at least here in Italy I reckon straight girls have wider tastes than straight guys in general tbh.

Generally speaking girls mostly listen to whatever is charting, so most of the time italian pop. Many don't despise local rap at all however, and italian indie also goes hard among them, as well as Sabrina Carpenter/Dua Lipa more international type of pop music as you said. While for straight guys it's almost EXCLUSIVELY local rap, sometimes even italian pop songs are considered somewhat more feminine.

True but Italy and Spain moreso than the other countries. Like no international star ever performs well over there anymore. I think France and Germany have already become more receptive to international hits again over the past two years.

I think it was always the case but piracy and file sharing made it hard to track the data. I never once thought music in english was more popular than music in my mother tongue, especially since most of the population does not know English. monocultural media just had a way to push us international artists so we wouldn't feel out of what happened in the globe, but local artists were clearly the biggest force with touring and popularity. I suspect it was the same in other countries, but radio and MTV made it feel like otherwise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.