• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sunbathinganimal

• Sad Beautiful Tragic

• ImpressMeMuch

• kimberly

To think most of the negative reviews are probably because she took so damn long to release the album and it didn't live up to it's expectations, had she released 3 years ago this would be sitting pretty in the mid 80s

• Like 1

Lol it's clear that the mixed reviews are ppl who expected her to have more of a pop influence. They're gonna say it's because it didn't live up to expectations, with those expectations being pop music like motivation lol. 

I've seen so many ppl say they don't like it because it "all sounds the same" or "omg I miss when she made motivation". So ppl are just going to bounce around the obvious and not give credit where its due.

Lbr this album exceeded expectations, the quality is top tier, the vocal layering is superior and it's cohesive. Everyone's debut doesn't go this way lol nor does everyone have this many hits in their debut. 

There's about 5-6 or more songs she can push off of this.

Edited by Ms.cleo
  • Like 13

I would say a good score for this album would be a 65 to 75 range. IMO it's not an 80 or above album. But it is a good debut. 

I just finished listening to it, and it is a really fantastic album. I'm in love with it! The wait for it was really long, but it was worth it! "Distance" is my favorite from the album. I could have sworn Dawn Richard was featured on "1:59." She sounds just like her on some parts of that song.

I hope she promotes it and quickly releases a follow up, within the next year or so. If we're going to be on the ball, then let's be on the ball. All I'm hearing and seeing is potential bursting through.

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Oof, it deserves so much higher. I was shocked by how good this album is. I didn’t think she had it in her!

• Like 1

72 is extremely fair tbh

72 is too low for what this was. I wan't blown away but it's a great debut album. maybe a nice and flat 80 would be more accurate. 

12 hours ago, Ms.cleo said:

There's about 5-6 or more songs she can push off of this.

push where? the girl has barely pushed anything on this album so far. she kind of pushed Wild Side... that was 3 years ago :gaycat6:

I agree, there are several songs here that could be hits. I don't think they will, at the rate this era is unfolding.

Edited by kimberly

why are the reviews so mixed

1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

why are the reviews so mixed

I think others are right in that all signs were pointing to a bad album so reviewers already made their mind up even though it's actually great

spacer.png

72 is quite nice. Solid debut album.

I've listened to it and it's a cute album. Some interesting production choices here and there. 

It's a very been there done that by other girls type of album, it won't gag critics… 72 is fine for what it is. Had she been a bit more inventive with production choices it could break the 80s

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

17 hours ago, suneclipse121 said:

This man has no business reviewing this album :deadbanana4:

when you read his review it's pretty clear he knows pop and r&b music though! 

• Thumbs Down 1

these read like chloe album but normani stable a bit for now. maybe not, spotify number coming very soon...

Spoiler

literally what they have in mind for those scores is a certified hit that incline to public favor despite of shameless success stanning among critic circle and sympathy point to gain victimized narrative with real life pr relationship. none of music is matter for quality contain because normani is pop catered artist first and foremost, critic wants mixture of motivation upbeat and DWAS midtempo with 5H drama lyrics for viral music video/visual ala rap girl beef or eternal sunshine music wise to please those white mid 40 folks. and for r&b side, they are picky from beyonce mindset that only few selected artists could accomplish their pass and continue to stan sza and summer walker without giving a chance to newcomer, even victoria monet struggle first even whole album is beyonce tribute album, normani wont get further from them unless keep collab with those r&b artists to get their slightest of trust. that's said, it's ultimate gift for her fans and casual could like the album or not their choice.    

tumblr_mhg89bpCGs1rdfzeso1_400.gif

7 hours ago, kimberly said:

72 is too low for what this was. I wan't blown away but it's a great debut album. maybe a nice and flat 80 would be more accurate. 

push where? the girl has barely pushed anything on this album so far. she kind of pushed Wild Side... that was 3 years ago :gaycat6:

I agree, there are several songs here that could be hits. I don't think they will, at the rate this era is unfolding.

I said there are 5-6 songs she can push from this album, you just reiterated what I'd already said 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ms.cleo said:

I said there are 5-6 songs she can push from this album, you just reiterated what I'd already said 

lmaooo :dies:

4 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

It's a very been there done that by other girls type of album, it won't gag critics… 72 is fine for what it is. Had she been a bit more inventive with production choices it could break the 80s

This

7.4 score from Pitchfork:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

7.4 score from Pitchfork:

Oh wow I don't keep up with these dumb scores but it seems the album is doing better than ES, HMHAS and TTPd

:deadbanana2:

• Thumbs Down 1

7.4 is great from Pitchfork :clap3:

• Like 1

Acclaimani

:clap3:

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.