Is "Together Again" one of the best songs ever?

bowdown

well? who ever slayed so hard while mourning?

• Like 5

That description could apply to a handful of cuts on TVR tbh.

YES. House perfection. :jonny: The DJ Premier remix is great too.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

That description could apply to a handful of cuts on TVR tbh.

YES. House perfection. :jonny: The DJ Premier remix is great too.

:WAP: her power like masterpiece after masterpiece 

• Like 2

YES! It's my favourite Janet song though it faces tough competition from That's The Way Love Goes and If. I've heard some people call the production and groove basic before but I think the somewhat simple production compliments the vocal arrangement and chord structure. Plus it also lets the sentiment of the song take centre stage. And of course the melodies are gorgeous, especially its chorus. The song always puts a smile on my face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes

Still sounds so fresh today 

• Like 2

Yes. :jonny: it's so timeless and it's like a big hug 

• Like 4

I was never a big TA fan tbh. The "together again oooohhhhh" bridge gets me but the hook is kind of weak.

Got 'Til It's Gone is the superior TVR single and TTWLG is the superior Janet 90's #1

Pop perfection, this would be a so much bigger legacy song if not blacklisted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

her best song

still regularly listen to it

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KKKIMO92 said:

Pop perfection, this would be a so much bigger legacy song if not blacklisted.

Here in Europe, it's pretty remembered. It's always playing on MTV 00s.

• Like 2

Yes :clap3:

• Like 2

Yes it very much is:jonny6:

• Like 2

:clap3:

• Like 2

Yes

• Like 2

I love it what a great classic

• Like 2

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I love this excerpt from Stereogum's "Number Ones" blog entry about "Together Again" (it's rated a 10/10, and they'd be right):

In retrospect, it's wild that Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Janet Jackson, three producers who didn't have any background in house music, were able to nail that lush thump that so many other producers have failed to evoke. "Together Again" has a nasty bassline, and it's full of clavinet burps and flute-whistles — all the gorgeous little ornamental touches that surround that booming central beat. Janet sings that song with a tiny ache in her voice, but you can still hear her smiling. Her voice communicates great joy even while describing deep loss. I'm sure millions heard and enjoyed "Together Again" without even realizing that it's a song about death. That's the kind of miracle that pop music, at its best, can pull off. It can turn a funeral into a party. I am not a religious person, but I can get behind that kind of transmogrification.

---

Plus, there are a suite of different interpretations of this song. It was amazing when she performed the DJ Premier 100 In a 50 Remix at the AMA's:

Edited by DammnBaby
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, holyground13 said:

YES! It's my favourite Janet song though it faces tough competition from That's The Way Love Goes and If. I've heard some people call the production and groove basic before but I think the somewhat simple production compliments the vocal arrangement and chord structure. Plus it also lets the sentiment of the song take centre stage. And of course the melodies are gorgeous, especially its chorus. The song always puts a smile on my face.

Yes, totally agree! The simple, repetitive beat is almost meditative :jonny5:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DammnBaby said:

I love this excerpt from Stereogum's "Number Ones" blog entry about "Together Again" (it's rated a 10/10, and they'd be right):

In retrospect, it's wild that Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Janet Jackson, three producers who didn't have any background in house music, were able to nail that lush thump that so many other producers have failed to evoke. "Together Again" has a nasty bassline, and it's full of clavinet burps and flute-whistles — all the gorgeous little ornamental touches that surround that booming central beat. Janet sings that song with a tiny ache in her voice, but you can still hear her smiling. Her voice communicates great joy even while describing deep loss. I'm sure millions heard and enjoyed "Together Again" without even realizing that it's a song about death. That's the kind of miracle that pop music, at its best, can pull off. It can turn a funeral into a party. I am not a religious person, but I can get behind that kind of transmogrification.

---

Plus, there are a suite of different interpretations of this song. It was amazing when she performed the DJ Premier 100 In a 50 Remix at the AMA's:

this is such a beautiful review 

hurt-sad.gif

also, the fact that janet wrote this as a tribute to her friend (and people globally) who had died from AIDS makes the song even more beautiful 

hurt-sad.gif

oh janet you deserve the world 

hurt-sad.gif

• Thanks 1

well yes

• Like 1

Duh

• Like 1

well, yes of course!

• Like 1

the universal praise in this thread :clap3:janet really is that girl 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.