Ed Sheeran doesn't believe artists who "don't care" about charts/perception

TalkThatRihanna

2 hours ago, MardinBeksloy said:

ATRL gonna hate on him even though he's spitting fact. Beyonce and Billie immediately come to mind despite the way their fans try to push them being above the chart 

Then please explain Beyoncé sabotaging her releases with weird release strategies :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• DiabeticGrandpa

• Wicked

• AvadaKedavra

I know Dua doesn't care about charts because there's no charts to care about at this point

• Haha 4

Plenty of artists don't care about charts.

Most artists are not mega successful. They care about creating a body of work that they can tour off of and make a decent living with. 

• Like 5

King is right :giraffe:

Well, it's true.

He's right I think all artists want their music to be listened/streamed by people not only because of charts,money etc but because they like their music to resonate with people and create a connection with them.

When an artist gets some chart's success will consequently cares, not necessary in a bad way like be obsessed. I think it's human.

• Like 2

Of course they do. The only distinction is the primary motive for releasing music - are you releasing [X] album/song to cater to the masses or to express your artistry. 

He's CLEARLY the former. 

• Thanks 2

All artists care about charts if only in the sense they're all signed to major labels and the budget they are given is decided on how much money they make the label.

What ATRL doesn't understand is that a Billboard hit doesn't necessarily translate to huge revenues for the label and the artist.

• Like 1

Of course they care

But not all of them are chart obsessed 

• Like 1

all artists care to an extent 

Posted (edited)

Whatever makes him feel better about his sh*t, chart-pandering music:bird:

Edited by sneakyishere

Any artist who releases multiple variants of their album is chart obsessed. If they care so much about their fans, they wouldn't let them spend so much on one album and instead let them spend that money on concert tickets and merchandise if they want to attend.

• Like 3

I mean, it's a job in the end but a wise man once said Art for art's sake :gaycat5:

Not going to willingly play an Ed Sheeran video but if he said perception then they certainly do, especially the ones mentioned in this thread. 

Of course artists care about perception, and to a lesser extent, charts. Artists are creatures of narcissism. It's always nice when something you've created gets love from people, or gets talked about.

The "problem" comes when that ends up being all they care about. That's usually when their output becomes sterile and bland. Witch is clearly the case here. So idk

• Like 1

maybe if he wasn't chasing easy hits he wouldn't be panned all the time

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

I mean, it's a job in the end but a wise man once said Art for art's sake :gaycat5:

An even wiser woman said Art and capitalism can be friends :clap3:

• Haha 1

Every mainstream artist cares about sales

5 hours ago, ABeyBraith said:

Then please explain Beyoncé sabotaging her releases with weird release strategies :deadbanana4:

right? if she cared enough she would have had her albums everywhere. she has enough money promote the **** out if it by herself :rip:

He must've been severely depressed when his latest album TANKED

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

?

thee undisputed eternal princess of pop, hurricane adele, an amazing singer who puts out record after record without stepping on stage and Lana who's an alternative artist whose only hit on the charts is a dj remix while the rest of her career flourishes and has actual impact in the industry….

You're funny, I'll give you that

He didn't lie. :clap3:

Every artist, especially the bigger ones, crave some form of positive validation of their art and work through chart success, awards, acclaim, sold-out shows etc. etc.

This so true especially BIG artists. They all care. 

10 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Britney's the only artist of the past 30 years who I genuinely believe doesn't care about the charts, or awards for that matter. Most of the others though, I dunno.   :clack:

:clap3:

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.