No UK act has topped British singles chart in 23 weeks, longest in decades

Fitzswiftie

jade thirlwall bout to reset the culture and topping the chart for a good month.

• Thanks 3

The UK needs her (Ellie Goulding).

20 hours ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

How the UK went from being a prominent art and music capital in the world during the 2000s to essentially being devoid of artistic identity today is both interesting and alarming. About 99% of the music from British "artists" today is faceless electronic dance music, often just a rehashed version of older tracks too. The rap and alt scene are probably the only music scene that somewhat strive for identity. Even then, there is a persistent issue in the UK where it is very hard for rappers (and even pop artists too tbh) to sustain popularity or a fanbase for more than 1.5 to 2 years. Typically, one rapper reaches the peak, collaborates with American artists, becomes huge, then fades away, only to be replaced by another. This is why, despite his music being somewhat generic, I respect Central Cee for maintaining his position and not becoming another passing fad like Fredo, Loski, Headie One, etc.

Thank you for summing this up. For decades Britain was the brain-trust of modern music. Where are the big British bands like Oasis and Coldplay? Where are soul divas like Adele, Amy, Florence? Seems like now it's just faceless EDM feat singers and revolving-door X-Factor contestants.

yeah the UK acts used to be popping there. I think the country/alternative trend ended up giving an advantage to american acts.

Taylor, Hozier, Shaboozey, Noah Kahan, Dasha, Post Malone with Morgan Wallen etc are all currently top20.

It's a travesty that talent such as Perrie and Leigh-Anne have had so much trouble charting well in the UK when they didn't at all with Little Mix. Spice Girls had 4/5 members reach #1 as solo acts. Girls Aloud already had a bit more trouble, but at least Cheryl managed to have a big solo career. Perrie and Leigh-Anne are struggling so much. Perrie managed 1 week top 10 and three more weeks top 40. Leigh-Anne couldn't even crack top 10.

Harry aside, the other 1D members cannot get a hit single since... idk 2017? 

I was recently thinking about Mabel, who had a huge year 2019/2020 and I looked up when her last release was. 2022, and it didn't crack top 40. What is going on?

2 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Niall managed a cute top twenty last year with some decent longevity with Heaven (#16 peak and two months in the top 20) and the year prior with his Anne-Marie duet Our Song (#13 peak and 7 weeks top twenty).

Speaking of which, Anne-Marie is a surprisingly reliable hitmaker but never seems to get traction her unless it's a collab. She's had 8 certified songs since 2002 in 2018 and only 1 is solo (Birthday).

6 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

I was recently thinking about Mabel, who had a huge year 2019/2020 and I looked up when her last release was. 2022, and it didn't crack top 40. What is going on?

Her last release was actually a few weeks ago and it didn't even chart :dies:

3 minutes ago, glitch said:

Her last release was actually a few weeks ago and it didn't even chart :dies:

Oh god, that's so much worse than I thought.

5 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Niall managed a cute top twenty last year with some decent longevity with Heaven (#16 peak and two months in the top 20) and the year prior with his Anne-Marie duet Our Song (#13 peak and 7 weeks top twenty).

Speaking of which, Anne-Marie is a surprisingly reliable hitmaker but never seems to get traction her unless it's a collab. She's had 8 certified songs since 2002 in 2018 and only 1 is solo (Birthday).

Yeah, I guess Heaven could qualify as a small hit, mostly because of longevity, I guess I was looking more at the peaks, since I gave some sh*t to the Little Mix girls and they charted at 10 and 11, but they're not having longevity, so it's a different scenario. Still, Meltdown was a huge flop. And Zayn and Liam, who've had bigger hits in the past...

14 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

It's a travesty that talent such as Perrie and Leigh-Anne have had so much trouble charting well in the UK when they didn't at all with Little Mix. Spice Girls had 4/5 members reach #1 as solo acts. Girls Aloud already had a bit more trouble, but at least Cheryl managed to have a big solo career. Perrie and Leigh-Anne are struggling so much. Perrie managed 1 week top 10 and three more weeks top 40. Leigh-Anne couldn't even crack top 10.

Bar a few expeditions British female artists have always had a very hard time maintaining success here sadly. It's not really a new thing. Mabel is one of the countless women whose career just came and went.

They let Queen Pixie Flop, they better Rot in hell.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Thank you for summing this up. For decades Britain was the brain-trust of modern music. Where are the big British bands like Oasis and Coldplay? Where are soul divas like Adele, Amy, Florence? Seems like now it's just faceless EDM feat singers and revolving-door X-Factor contestants.

There's barely been any EDM music doing well in the charts lately, you're all just talking nonsense

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 5:41 PM, Gwendolyn said:

This is not shocking at all.

The Tory Party has given so many cuts to the local UK Music scene for the past 14 years, causing talent that isn't from London and the Working Class to practically never have a chance, as well as gatekeeping the industry for people who are Private School educated/BRIT Schools students who do not ever appeal outside the London Music bubble and often flop on the charts. Just see how the BRIT Awards were in March, it felt like a BRIT School reunion and the majority of the artists who were nominated in the British categories got mass amounts of 'Who's' on social media. :rip:

Even our pop girls have become such a non-event because they're forced to jump on dance tracks since that's a way for UK labels to get money. It's so sad how we have destroyed such a big industry. Where are the new bands? Where are the pop groups? 

It's a real shame because the UK music scene used to be one of the best in the 2000s. You had acts like the Sugababes and Girls Aloud paving the way for poptimism, the dance scene birthing a new subgenre every other week, that whole indie sleaze wave, blue eyed soul acts like Amy, Adele and Duffy, as well as groundbreaking acts like M.I.A. and the XX.

I went through a UK music "phase" last year and I was amazed at the quantity and quality of the material that country delivered. (And this is just the 00s. If we start talking about the 80s and 90s, we could be here all day. :dies:)

Edited by Virgos Groove

so crazy that now we can only name Adele and Harry as an internationally known artist from the UK. In the 10s we had way more who made noise worldwide. There was Ellie Goulding, Jessie J, Geroge Ezra, all the 1D members had 1-2 big hits and now they all gone

Girls Aloud, Rachel Stevens, Sugababes, All Saints, the Saturdays, Diana Vickers, Pixie Lott, Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis etc. must all come together now to stop this.

Posted (edited)

I hope this will change quickly.

Edited by Zaynsus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.