Years later, thoughts on "Rainbow" album by Kesha?

Taylor fanboy

Immaculate masterpiece. When it came out i completely disliked it because i wanted the old party-girl Kesha back. I was like "wtf is this where are the BANGERS". and as the time was going on, i became more mature and now i realize that this record is actually really stands out in her discography. It gives you real, raw emotions, it makes you FEEL everything she's been through. Sometimes i wish there were more records like this by pop girlies (but born out of less terrible cases like Kesha's because i wish no one would go through what she went through)

• Like 9

concubine
Posted (edited)

An amazing body of work, ignoring some blunders such as Hymn and Woman. Her best lead single. The music was great and it benefitted massively from an amazing album cover and amazing marketing campaign - I wonder if she can reach these heights again.

Edited by concubine

Several classics. Including the smash hit Boots :jonnycat:

• Like 5

Her best album :clap3:

• Like 5

Spaceship and Finding You are top 5 in her discography for me, and an excellent album overall 

• Like 5

Learn To Let Go is still a gospel, Boots is still a banger :clap3:

• Like 5

Houses some of her best like Praying, Spaceship and Learn To Let Go. 

• Like 4

Her best album!

• Like 5

Never rly got into it but I expect what she was doing! :clap3:

Fantastic album. Spaceship is such a perfect album closer

• Like 4

Her best album to this date :bird:

• Like 5

still stunning

• Like 5

She did THAT!

• Like 4

to me this album might always be her best :heart:

Gag Order obviously being a VERY close second! like infinitesimal distance between them, no joke. there's just a lot of relational stuff in my personal life and at different stages of my 20s which are so deeply connected with them, respectively!

but yeah, Rainbow is a pop rock masterpiece, an easy 10 from me :clap3: it's adventurous, beautiful, uplifting, funny, strong… it has an innocence in its songwriting that reminds me, as a songwriter myself, of those rare moments when you can tap into something unbridled and childlike that feels almost instinctive/obvious in its simplicity and yet is somehow, by a strike of lightning in a bottle, wholly original. but what makes Rainbow so special is the fact that Kesha was able to tap into that mindset for the majority of 50ish minutes. not to go with the obvious traumatic reaction rationalization but there's definitely something to be said about retreating into one's imagination and liberating a wide-eyed spirit that may have been previously quashed for long periods of time and unearthing the most stunning songwriting stylings. likewise with Gag Order, Kesha was able to tap into something rare and raw. but Rainbow feels more extroverted in its spirituality while Gag Order is classic introspective reckoning. as someone who is definitely an ambivert (in fact, I believe most people in the world are ambiverts lol), I can appreciate the storytelling of both albums, but in terms of unashamed chaotic energy, Rainbow clearly has more irreverence to let one's freak flag be raised in solidarity with paired with an intuitive pop mastery! dgmw, The Drama is f*cking genius, but the Rainbow-era absurdity feels like the most consistently enjoyable and relatable. as a stan of both artists, I can EASILY compare Gag Order to The Dreaming and Rainbow to Hounds of Love. take that as you will! :gaycat2:

• Like 7

It's a strong album, but not one of my favorites. Praying, Hunt You Down, and Learn to Let Go are career highlights, plus Godzilla and Hymn are up there too. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Her worst effort, musically imo. It's a powerful album for herself and a turning point in her life as well, so I can appreciate that.

I just don't care for anything on the album.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

A masterpiece!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The greatest pop to country crossover from a pop girl :giraffe:

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 6

A great fusion of pop, country and rock. Although I haven't revisited it in a number of years, I remember listening to it obsessively when it was released and I just gave it another listen and still think its great. 

• Like 5

i haven't listened to it in quite a while now, but the last three songs used to be my jam when it dropped. most of the country-tinged tracks are great, and i love the dolly cover/duet. it is somewhat surprising that someone with such an electro-centered output actually fits this acoustic style so much

• Like 5

Stellar! Her best imo :alexz:

• Like 3

A very solid body of work, Learn To Let Go is a career highlight. So vibrant and so fun yet so wise!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Her best pre Gag Order album!!  

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.