• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cain

• Twixters

• anti-bitch

• AvadaKedavra

Top Posters In This Topic

This research comprises of 5000 respondents between 13-16 years old, while there's between 26000-27000 of this demographic living in Amsterdam. So it's good to consider that less than 20% of the demographic was questioned. Numbers don't lie and it is still very alarming, though. 

Mind you, this factsheet is from 2020 (couldn't find a more recent one like the 2021, 2022, 2023 or 2024 ones), but it shows that 60% of Amsterdam youth now have a migration background. Between ages 13-16, this comprised 50% of non-western countries. Essentially showing how outside cultures and values are influencing existing more liberal views on a variety of topics!

• Thanks 1

By ATRL logic we should start funding a genocide against them. 

Picsart_23-10-19_14-54-24-202.thumb.png.

2 hours ago, insomniac said:

This research comprises of 5000 respondents between 13-16 years old, while there's between 26000-27000 of this demographic living in Amsterdam. So it's good to consider that less than 20% of the demographic was questioned. Numbers don't lie and it is still very alarming, though. 

Mind you, this factsheet is from 2020 (couldn't find a more recent one like the 2021, 2022, 2023 or 2024 ones), but it shows that 60% of Amsterdam youth now have a migration background. Between ages 13-16, this comprised 50% of non-western countries. Essentially showing how outside cultures and values are influencing existing more liberal views on a variety of topics!

Homophobia does not only exist in cultures outside the West. We are currently experiencing a shift to the right across Europe and many of these parties are homophobic. Where does this myth that the European right supports gay rights come from? They don't. The AfD here in Germany is homophobic. The AfD is currently the second most popular party among young people, behind our conservative party.

Blaming it on Muslims or immigrants is a bit too easy. In many countries, the younger generations are very right-wing. This hatred against LGBT+ comes from all sides. The question is, what now? How do we fight it? I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anthinos said:

Homophobia does not only exist in cultures outside the West. We are currently experiencing a shift to the right across Europe and many of these parties are homophobic. Where does this myth that the European right supports gay rights come from? They don't. The AfD here in Germany is homophobic. The AfD is currently the second most popular party among young people, behind our conservative party.

Blaming it on Muslims or immigrants is a bit too easy. In many countries, the younger generations are very right-wing. This hatred against LGBT+ comes from all sides. The question is, what now? How do we fight it? I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I realize that very well, that it can come from any sides and exists everywhere. But those numbers I mentioned are also statistics that are not to be ignored when it comes to Amsterdam specifically (which is what this topic is about). There is correlation. Especially when statistics show that majority of LGBTQ+ assault victims in Amsterdam had aggressors with an immigrant background (Source: Action research Anti-Discrimination LGBTIQ+ report by Municipality of Amsterdam). So that is definitely a problem that should be addressed for Amsterdam specifically.

Also, I never mentioned "that the European right support gay rights", so I am not sure why you brought that up in relation to quoting me.

As for answering the questions of "what now", "how do we fight it" for Amsterdam specifically, I think there should be harsher punishment for those committing assault or even discriminating. Also education plays a large role in all of it. It's an incredibly complex topic with many different views and stakeholders and it's not gonna be solved easily. I do not have the solution.

• Thanks 1

Not surprising, Europe is experiencing a massive wave of Conservativism recently 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.