"Dawn FM" and "Radical Optimism" are the example of overexposure with GP?

gwen stacy

The Weeknd and Dua Lipa released in 2020 their biggest albums so far with "Future Nostalgia" and "After Hours" and everyone knows how they broke so many records and had the most successful musical eras in this decade so far with their massive smash-hits.

After this big success they released new albums "Dawn FM" (2022) and "Radical Optimism" (2024) but sadly they couldn't achieve the same success even with amazing singles like "Take My Breath" and "Houdini".

We know their careers are not over but... Is this a coincidence or not? 

Take My Breath 🤝🏻 Houdini

Sacrifice 🤝🏻 Training Season

Out of Time 🤝🏻 Illusion

Popular/OOTG 🤝🏻 Dance The Night

Moth To A Flame 🤝🏻 Cold Heart 

Dua can't be overexposed since ATRL keeps calling her faceless :coffee2:

• Like 7

She just released a horrible album. It's not that deep nor comparable

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Not really, it's just that the music wasn't catchy enough. Both albums have great songs but I don't see them having enough mass-appeal for them to become hits like the ones from their previous eras.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Dawn.FM is def due to overexposure since it was released when the previous era hasn't even settled yet, even though it's better than its predecessor

Radical optimism on the other hand sees Dua doing a similar disco-pop sound on most of its singles, and the album tracks draw inspiration from nineties and noughties sounds that aren't yet palatable to the GP, so it more has to do with the quality of the work itself

Edited by Contessa

any artist who had a smash album is gonna experience some kinda underperformance. 

• Adele: 30 after 25
  • Ariana: positions after thank u, next
  • Bey: 4 after Sasha Fierce 
  • Billie: HTE after WWAFAWDWG
  • Britney: Self Titled after Oops
  • Doja: Scarlet after Planet Her
  • Gaga: ARTPOP after Born This Way
  • Janet: Damita Jo after All For You
  • Katy: Witness after Prism
  • Mariah: Butterfly after Daydream
  • Rihanna: Rated R after GGGB
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, Devin said:

any artist who had a smash album is gonna experience some kinda underperformance. 

Demi: Confident after DEMI
XTINA: Liberation after Lotus

Selena: Rare after Revival

Miley: Younger Now after Bangerz

I don't think that's the case for Abel because after that DFY smashed hard, he also had Creepin' and then the songs from this flop ass show. He's doing more than fine if you ask me.

• Like 2

Both albums were uninspired, I don't think overexposure has anything to do with their underperformance. Especially in The Weeknd's case where he still had hits coming from all over the place during the Dawn FM era.

Posted (edited)

Dawn FM definitely...Not his fault that he smashed so hard with BL and SYT tho, and then DFY and Creepin'. 

Edited by HarajukuPrincess

In Abel's case definitely. In Dua's case I think the songs are just bigger than her and her new stuff just didn't connect.

Posted (edited)

I do think overexposure for Dawn FM was the reason, but also other reason. Dawn FM is a great album - not sure how anyone can find it uninspiring or bad. The issue was he was still having massive hits from his previous project that were still dominating radio and the charts when Dawn FM dropped, and the Dawn FM material just was dropped, with no fanfare or reach since it would detract from the rising success of all the other non-Blinding Lights singles from After Hours. 

I am not really sure why its the case for Radical Optimism, though.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

Didn't know the weekend had a new album 

Not overexposure. 

Just they gave leftovers of the pervious era

Posted (edited)

I think The Weekend flopped cause his album feels like more like a repetition from the last record.
More 80s influenced music and people were like.......Again Same formula? Where's the R&B? Sellout. 
Bad mysoginistic reputation reaching social media  and The album cover is just awful :rip: 
i honestly get turned off with the album cover from playing that record.
Would have been better something more cyborg instead of that confused musty grandpa

With Dua is definitely the music.  Working with kevin parker aka bad pop producer was a mistake
A good lead was very pivotal for the era and Houdini was not. :giraffe:
The songs chorus is very weak and not relatable compared to Dont Start Now-Levitating-Dance The Night
The instrumental too overly experimental for the GP. The video too simplistic too.
Training Season was catchy but the video weird and Houdini already crashed the era. 
After 2 flop singles the third ones rarely do good.
Ilusion is amazing-catchy and the video is so beautiful perfect for the era but i feel like this is a River situation. Too gay for the GP

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Thumbs Down 1

Dawn FM was an excellent album and did much better than RO

• Like 1

I don't think that's the reason

Taylor releases like 30 songs per year and she's slaying despite of being so overexposed in the past 4 years

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No, they're great examples of underperformances after block buster eras for artists who rely quite much on heavy promotion for the GP support and going from 100 to 0 in terms of effort doesn't bring the expected results. 

Abel's situation is a bit different simply because he already has a solid fanbase, the issue is that Dawn FM isn't the type of music most of his fanbase wants from him, they're way more urban oriented, his synth pop singles success is mostly GP's doing.

Anyways I love all those albums, I don't understand how anyone can say that they sound like their predecessors in any way. They're two GP artists, the GP doesn't care if a Dua Lipa song on the radio is the same style as her previous hit as long as it's a bop, that's mostly fans' issue as they want to see growth and interesting music switching from their favorite artists.

Edited by ariananext

2 hours ago, TitanicSurvivor said:

Demi: Confident after DEMI
XTINA: Liberation after Lotus

Selena: Rare after Revival

Miley: Younger Now after Bangerz

Confident did even better than DEMI tho...girl 💀

Just now, Delirious said:

Confident did even better than DEMI tho...girl 💀

DEMI sold much better and single wise it has massive hits like Heart Attack, Neon Lights and Really Don't Care (+ Let It Go) while Confident only has Cool For the Summer. DEMI also outcharted Confident on many markets and was a stable success while Confident kinda lost the points month after release

2 minutes ago, TitanicSurvivor said:

DEMI sold much better and single wise it has massive hits like Heart Attack, Neon Lights and Really Don't Care (+ Let It Go) while Confident only has Cool For the Summer. DEMI also outcharted Confident on many markets and was a stable success while Confident kinda lost the points month after release

Girl confident charted better in every country except Norway.

Confident was a smash 4xplat more than all singles of DEMI

And stone cold has way more streams too

2 hours ago, Devin said:

I mean yeah, because for some reason people expect artists to keep matching or surpassing their biggest successes when in reality that's just unrealistic.

Most careers have up and downs and one thing is going all downhill and another is to have higher and lower points while still maintaining a certain level, like most of ATRL's faves. 

For artists with bigger discographies it's easy to say what's their average level of success for a project, which should be taken into consideration in a conversation about their numbers, like in Ariana's case Positions was a decline from Thank U, Next, but it was in line and/or bigger than a couple of her other albums for example (Yours Truly, Sweetener, and arguably Positions' tracks were bigger than ME's and DW's). I would say Positions is a good indicator of an Ariana Grande performance as a body of work, all things considered.

On the other hand, when you have young artists like Billie or Olivia (or Gaga back then) who smash hard with their debut albums, expectations are over the roof for the follow-ups but it's crazy to expect them to keep up with that level of success for more than one or two eras consecutively.

• Like 1

Confident was a smash 4xplat more than all singles of DEMI

Heart Attack is 5xplat. Also, Confident was released on Island so they upgraded the sales, HR doesn't care about that stuff

Girl confident charted better in every country except Norway.

Peaks mean nothing. DEMI spent 51 weeks on BB200 while Confident 10 weeks less, even tho the promotion was way bigger and better. It didn't help

And stone cold has way more streams too

Confident was released closer to streaming era, DEMI was released in iTunes era, of course it has more streams

Dawn FM I think was that, and the fact that the album cover is him depicted as an old man. Truly serving Witness with that cover. 

Radical Optimism is in a similar boat because of Dua's big mouth. 

3 hours ago, badgirlriri said:

Dawn FM was an excellent album and did much better than RO

like they're lightyears apart the copium is getting out of control :skull:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.