• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virgos Groove

• Jamie Starr

• liquiddiamonds

• Wicked

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/apple-music-celebrates-the-launch-of-inaugural-100-best-albums-list/

CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a celebratory list of the greatest records ever made, crafted by Apple Music's team of experts alongside a select group of artists, including Maren Morris, Pharrell Williams, J Balvin, Charli XCX, Mark Hoppus, Honey Dijon, and Nia Archives, as well as songwriters, producers, and industry professionals. The list is an editorial statement, fully independent of any streaming numbers on Apple Music — a love letter to the records that have shaped the world music lovers live and listen in.

Apple Music is bringing its 100 Best Albums to life with a countdown celebration beginning today, revealing 10 albums each day for the next 10 days, along with a brand-new 100 Best microsite, new and exclusive content, dedicated Apple Music Radio episodes, and so much more. The countdown will culminate on the final day with the reveal of Apple Music's top 10 albums of all time during a broadcast radio special.
"100 Best brings together all the things that make Apple Music the ultimate service for music lovers — human curation at its peak, an appreciation for the art of storytelling, and unparalleled knowledge of music and an even deeper love for it," said Rachel Newman, Apple Music's senior director of content and editorial. "We have been working on this for a very long time, and it's something we are all incredibly proud of and excited to share with the world."

"Putting this list together was a true labor of love, both in that it was incredibly difficult to do and in that we are all so passionate about it," said Zane Lowe, Apple Music's global creative director and lead anchor for Apple Music 1. "We were tasked with selecting the 100 best — that's practically mission impossible. But as music fans, it was also amazing to really take a minute and sit and think about the music and albums and artists that we love so much in this context. If this list sparks more debate among fans outside of Apple Music and gets people talking passionately about the music they love, then we've done what we set out to do."

"There are so many fun facts for our listeners to discover about these albums," said Scott Plagenhoef, Apple Music's global head of music programming. "For example, two of the records revealed today were promoted without the image of the artist, but for opposite reasons — Burial's Untrue because the artist was still operating anonymously at the time, and George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 because the artist was actually retreating from fame."
Discover, Learn, and Share with Friends

List:

Spoiler

100. Body Talk, Robyn
99. Hotel California, Eagles
98. ASTROWORLD, Travis Scott
97. Rage Against the Machine, Rage Against the Machine
96. Pure Heroine, Lorde
95. Confessions, USHER
94. Untrue, Burial
93. A Seat at the Table, Solange
92. Flower Boy, Tyler, The Creator
91. Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1, George Michael

Link

Top 10 will be released on 22nd.

• Like 2

I'm actually here for this, Zane Lowe and Pharrell have a wide reach in terms of history, culture, and knowledge. Charli, Maren, Honey Dijon, and J Balvin should help make sure the smaller musicians and genres get their dues too. Pure Heroine being here is interesting because I'm certain that Melodrama will be higher up, which means Lorde is already guaranteed 2 slots. Madonna and Mariah will probably end up with 2 albums here as well. Taylor will probably have 3, I'm guessing 1989, Red, and folklore. 

• Like 2

I like the first 10 that have been revealed, and I'm glad Solange placed. It's absolutely deserved. :clap3:

With Rage Against the Machine here, I expect to see Linkin Park at some point! Meteora or Hybrid Theory. 

Flower Boy is an interesting choice for Tyler but I'm not mad at it. Frank and Mac should definitely show up though if they're giving Tyler flowers 

• Like 2

RATM's debut that low? Don't ******* piss me off.

• ATRL Moderator

Excited to follow along and see the next 10 albums tomorrow 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gossip_Boy said:

RATM's debut that low? Don't ******* piss me off.

There doesn't really seem to be many (any?) rock enthusiasts on the panel so it's a testament to their quality that they even landed here at all tbh, a win is a win. 

Edit: I googled Mark and found out he's one of the Blink-182 guys so he's the rep for that genre I suppose

Edited by PoisonedIvy

cannot believe they're dragging this out like :deadbanana2: so lame 

#2 Diamonds & Dancefloors :clap3:

Body Talk at 100 :clap3:

But when ROBYN is at #1 :clap3:

Taylor gonna clear the top 20 as always 

1 minute ago, Oxygen said:

Excited to follow along and see the next 10 albums tomorrow 

Oof, for some reason I read the article as 90 - 81 being released on the 22nd, not the top 10 haha. Will edit appropriately

6 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

I'm actually here for this, Zane Lowe and Pharrell have a wide reach in terms of history, culture, and knowledge. Charli, Maren, Honey Dijon, and J Balvin should help make sure the smaller musicians and genres get their dues too. Pure Heroine being here is interesting because I'm certain that Melodrama will be higher up, which means Lorde is already guaranteed 2 slots. Madonna and Mariah will probably end up with 2 albums here as well. Taylor will probably have 3, I'm guessing 1989, Red, and folklore. 

Melodrama is definitely secured, I'd agree on Mariah, Madonna, and Taylor. Think Lana is also the most likely to have 3 entries, but most realistically I can only see artists getting 2 spots on the list if I'm being honest. 

All I know is if I don't see Love Deluxe or The Velvet Rope someone's getting fired!

Hotel California is not a good album. And neither is the George Michael record.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, Wondy Lust said:

Oof, for some reason I read the article as 90 - 81 being released on the 22nd, not the top 10 haha. Will edit appropriately

Melodrama is definitely secured, I'd agree on Mariah, Madonna, and Taylor. Think Lana is also the most likely to have 3 entries, but most realistically I can only see artists getting 2 spots on the list if I'm being honest. 

All I know is if I don't see Love Deluxe or The Velvet Rope someone's getting fired!

imo, Born to Die and probably NFR for Lana. UV and Tunnel deserve but Tunnel is too new and UV doesn't have the strongest cultural narrative in the way BTD does, so it may be snubbed. 

The Love Deluxe, The Velvet Rope, and Miseducation ALL better be here :duca: 

I would keep the hopes low for so many pop girls making the list with multiple entries. It's an all-time list and reaching every genre 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liquiddiamonds said:

I would keep the hopes low for so many pop girls making the list with multiple entries. It's an all-time list and reaching every genre 

I think it's fair to assume Taylor, Madonna, Mariah, and possibly Janet will have multiple entries. Especially since Lorde is guaranteed 2. They're the perfect combination of commercially, critically, and culturally successful peaks.

Every other pop girl will get 1 at best though. 

Anyways hoping to see Joanna Newsom, Bjork, Fiona Apple and PJ Harvey making the cut with one of their records

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

They're the perfect combination of commercially, critically, and culturally successful peaks.

There are other genres and other eras. I can see them having two at best if the list is to accommodate rock, alternative, hip hop/r&b, old school soul and electronic artists

Edited by liquiddiamonds

15 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

I think it's fair to assume Taylor, Madonna, Mariah, and possibly Janet will have multiple entries. Especially since Lorde is guaranteed 2. They're the perfect combination of commercially, critically, and culturally successful peaks.

Every other pop girl will get 1 at best though. 

It's unlikely Taylor will get two while Beyonce gets one. Aside Madonna, Beyonce will likely be the next MPG with more than one entry, if at all.

I'm gonna actually try and (re)listen to every album up here :jonny: listening to Body Talk now!

1 minute ago, chaklux said:

It's unlikely Taylor will get two while Beyonce gets one. Aside Madonna, Beyonce will likely be the next MPG with more than one entry, if at all.

Unlikely in what metric? I'm not trying to be biased but Taylor is clearly respected in the industry at the same level of other legends, Beyonce included. I do think Beyonce deserves 2, honestly maybe even 3, but I can't make a strong enough case for anything except Self Titled. I'd PERSONALLY add Lemonade and Renaissance but Lemonade doesn't have a lot of success sustaining its discussion over a long period and Renaissance is still a little too new, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

18 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

There are other genres and other eras. I can see them having two at best if the list is to accommodate rock, alternative, hip hop/r&b, old school soul and electronic artists

I do agree we start to occupy too much real estate that could be allotted to other artists & genres once we start giving multiple pop girls multiple entries. That's why I tried to keep it to only the 3 or 4 biggest women in music of all time. 

A SEAT AT THE TABLE >>>CONFESSION >FLOWER BOY 

MY GOD, i used to love ASTRO WORLD so much; it was literally the album that define my college years. **** dumb ass Travis Scott! 

I hope there's a total snub for Taylor, honestly. She has not made "great" music, she has made "sate the masses" music and won undeserved awards for her output. And over-saturated the market with her mediocre content. 

That being said, I won't be surprised seeing her here. I won't deny her grip on the necks of white girls, white gays, white folks in general.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

It's only Top 100 of All Time list yet you guys predict some pop girls will have multiple albums tho I predict Taylor and Bey to have two at max

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.