PlayStation fails to secure Final Fantasy exclusivity, series now heading to Nintendo

Comedor

Shift to a multiplatform strategy:

For HD titles, the Group will aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs. Especially, in regards to major franchises and AAA titles including catalog titles, it will build an environment where more customers can enjoy our titles. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-aggressively-pursuing-new-multiplatform-strategy-after-reports-ff7-rebirth-underperformed-on-playstation

Square Enix, the owner of the FF series, is no longer accepting Sony payola. The FF series is now heading to Nintendo platforms to find new success. This comes after the flop sales of FF7 Remake on PS5.

Thoughts?

whitney-houston.gif

• Haha 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tiagol88

• ImpressMeMuch

• JO1s

• Comedor

Top Posters In This Topic

When FF7 and FF17 drops on Switch 2 and outsells the PS version. Oh the Japanese will be GAGGED.

whitney-houston.gif

• Haha 1

Maybe Sony didn't want to bet on a losing horse. FF as an IP is simply not doing great. Plenty of PS exclusives sell way more than Final Fantasy in 2024. This isn't 2000. 

Now where does it says the series is heading to Nintendo specifically? :rip:

It all depends on the Switch 2 hardware.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

This is ******* horrible @Curaga :dies: 

No wonder they didn't quickly report the sales from FF7 Rebirth like they did Remake. 

Posted (edited)

I, for one am not surprised.

I love Square's legacy, but they have been publishing games like a content mill, with little-to-no marketing at all. So many of these games, although great, have flopped because no one knew they even existed, excluding their AAA titles. This was either going to end with Sony buying Square (bad idea for everyone) or them going multi-platform again. 

6 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

FF as an IP is simply not doing great

I hate to admit this is somewhat true. FF7R has brought me back as a hardcore fan, but the mainseries titles have been having an identity crisis for a decade now 

Edited by Reginald

Framing this as Sony's loss is a choice when they're probably wasting money on those deals. SE needs to get their **** together, though, FF7 Remake was a huge flop on Steam, having fewer concurrent players than Persona, Yakuza, Tales etc. upon its delayed release, so their games should be there day one.

Good I hate console exclusives unless they are directly developed by the among company themselves (I.e. Nintendo). Buying exclusivity to third party developer titles is anti consumer

• Like 3

You think the Switch 2 can handle FF when even the PS5 has to make compromises just to get it running at a stable framerate?

• Haha 7

Good. Now they need to get back at making turn based combat. FF12 has been the only good non traditional turn based game they made(Fran hard carried the game too)

whitney-houston.gif

• Thanks 1

Rebirth still highest rated game of the year :clap3:

• Thanks 1

Switch would blow up trying to run modern FF :rip: 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Switch would blow up trying to run modern FF :rip: 

And on Switch 2 it will be no problem

PlayStation and Xbox are both absolutely floundering in Japan, I saw this a mile away even before rebirths performance  

• ATRL Administrator

It’s only for HD titles. So who’s winning and who’s losing?

12 minutes ago, mael said:

Rebirth still highest rated game of the year :clap3:

This. :clap: It's been years since I played another open world where I wanted to discover everything. I wish all of their games were this polished. 

• Confused 1

I hope we get an ATRL banner when the first title is released on Switch 2. :heart:

23 minutes ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

And on Switch 2 it will be no problem

If you think Switch 2 will be able to run PS5 games...oh you poor soul. From the leaks so far it seems to be more in line with a PS4 Pro if anything. 

PS5 literally has problems running the latest Final Fantasy game imagine a Nintendo portable console.

The fact that a whole mainline FF game was released (last year?) and made no noise is insane considering how long they were attempting to milk FF15. They desperately need some mass market appeal.

• Thanks 1

Disgusting.

Good. Give that TRASH to Nintendo.

• Haha 4

Final fantasy in 2024? :coffee:

I personally would not want it to go to Nintendo because that console can't handle those graphics. PC is a way better alternative. 

Also...people talking about exclusives...Nintendo is actually the one with more Square-Enix exclusives. It's not even Playstation:

The OP had a very specific...goal, but the truth is they all win in the end.

23 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Final fantasy in 2024? :coffee:

That's true. Everybody knows that Persona and Xenoblade are the new IT JPRG of the decade.

whitney-houston.gif

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tiagol88 said:

Maybe Sony didn't want to bet on a losing horse. FF as an IP is simply not doing great. Plenty of PS exclusives sell way more than Final Fantasy in 2024. This isn't 2000. 

Now where does it says the series is heading to Nintendo specifically? :rip:

It all depends on the Switch 2 hardware.

FFXIV has out sold and out grossed every PlayStation exclusive since the ps3 era so this isn't true

Edited by JO1s

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.