Bird Flu now infecting cats & dairy milk, continues to adapt to new hosts

FOCK

Posted (edited)

BNO —  Three more cats have died of H5N1 bird flu in the United States, one of which was a domestic cat with no links to farms, according to state officials. At least 10 cats are now known to have died since bird flu spread to dairy cows earlier this year.

Two of the cats were found dead at a dairy farm in Curry County in New Mexico, according to the state's veterinarian, Dr. Samantha Uhrig. Cows at the farm also tested positive after workers noticed a drop in milk production.

The third case was reported in Yellowstone County in Montana, where a domestic cat exhibited "neurologic signs" after the owner found a dead skunk on the property.

The cat was initially submitted for rabies testing but it was later discovered that the pet was infected with H5N1 bird flu. There were no links to farms or dairy cows, Tahnee Szymanski, the state's veterinarian, told BNO News.

The global spread of H5N1 clade 2.3.4.4b – and the recent spread to a growing number of mammals – has raised concern about the possibility of human-to-human transmission from a future variant. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced in late March that bird flu had been found in unpasteurized milk from sick cows in Kansas and Texas, making those the first-ever cases in cattle. The number of outbreaks at dairy farms has since risen to 42 in 9 states and a farm worker in Texas also tested positive.

CNN —  Cows have human flu receptors, study shows, raising stakes on bird flu outbreak in dairy cattle.

In early March, Dr. Barb Petersen, a large-animal vet in Texas, began getting calls from the dairy farms she works with in the Panhandle. Workers there were seeing a lot of cows with mastitis, an infection of the udder.

Their milk was thickened and discolored, and it couldn't be explained by any of the usual suspects such as bacteria or tissue damage.

Several more dairies called. One owner told her he thought his farm had "whatever is going around, and half of my pets have died," indicating that the contagion had moved beyond cattle.

"The finding in cattle has been so different," said Dr. Lars Larsen, a professor of veterinary clinical microbiology at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark. In mammals, influenza typically infects the lungs. In cats, it can also infect the brain. "Here we see an enormous amount of virus in the mammary and in the milk," Larsen said.

Larsen said the concentration of H5N1 viruses in the milk of infected cows is 1,000 times higher than typically seen in infected birds. He said he and his colleagues calculated that even if the milk from a single infected cow were diluted in 1,000 tons of milk, scientists would still be able to pick up traces of the virus in lab tests.

Sources 1 | 2

Edited by FOCK

Oh that's not..:toofunny3:

Welp, it's over.

I mean, viruses always mutate, it was just a matter of time :gaycat6:

Mother Nature back again with a new era? Based off the last one, I have no hope for humanity 

Gonna be smashing plenty of records I fear

All y'all had to do was stop needlessly funding the slaughter of baby birds & cows. Like. 

nicki-minaj-nicki.gif

• Like 2

Can i still bareback? 

• Haha 4

So we have yet ANOTHER instance of the consumption of animal products leading to a serious disease outbreak :gaycat6:

16 minutes ago, DeadInside said:

Can i still bareback? 

You need to. It also affects condoms.

Oh, it's bad if it's in dairy cows. It can spread very fast:rip:

Another reason how eating & abusing animals comes back around to bite you in the ass 

• Like 1

well its over

34 minutes ago, DeadInside said:

Can i still bareback? 

It's actually recommended. Licking feet on the other hand though.... only one foot a day. 

Posted (edited)

ughhh I wish these diseases would only affect the sociopaths that still contribute to the murder and torture of millions of innocent beings but unfortunately those in the right side of history will also be impacted 

Edited by Last Boy on Earth

harry potter my body is ready GIF

Another good reason to avoid cow milk. :clap3:

• Like 1

that aggressive vegan member here is laughing right now

LG7 is finally upon us :WAP:

I'm ready for more stimulus money honestly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Almond milk to my rescue, until it hits humans in my Republican state :duca:

Indoor cats and non-dairy milk >>>>>>>

Covid 2.0 here it comes 

4 hours ago, Archetype said:

Indoor cats and non-dairy milk >>>>>>>

Also pasteurizing milk apparently kills the virus, although perhaps switching to ultra pasteurized might be a good idea.

In fact, maybe I should just switch to Soy Milk. I used to be afraid of growing boobies from the estrogen, but I bet I could work them now that I'm out of the closet :gaygacat2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.