Do you like it when a movie leaves things up to interpretation?

AbeHicks

Or do you prefer it when it has a clearly defined ending with one obvious meaning?

Posted (edited)

It really depends on a movie, if it's sloppy and uses up-to-viewers-interpretation as an excuse to fix plot holes then no but if it leaves you wanting more and contemplating things then it's fun

Edited by Illuminati
  • Like 10

no, it screams laziness on the writer's part. pick a damn side

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

depends on the film 

Depends on the film but most of the time I don't like thinking, so I would love it if things are spelled out for me

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

No, that's not what I consume a piece of entertainment for. Twin Peaks is the clearest example of a cultural work that relies on this, and I hate it :biblionny:

• Haha 1

Depends on if it's tv shows like The X-Files, The original Twilight Zones, some NCIS episodes have open ended final scenes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

it kinda depends how its done. i think i do tho.

what are some good/bad examples?

good, well known examples: shutter island, inception, 2001 a space odyssey

Edited by flower moon

No. I want answers 

Depends on the genre

Yes bc it allows me to be delusional

• Haha 1

No I prefer an implied ending. Creates discourse but not confusion or feeling unsatisfied.

• Like 2

No. Give me a proper conclusion to the story. That's why I hate Netflix movies

• Haha 1

Really depends. If the main plot question is unanswered at the end, you better have a real good reason to do that. But if the main plot question is answered and that specific answer leads to new, unanswered questions that point to a deeper meaning/theme, I'm all for it :cm:

• Like 2

Definitely depends on how well it's written. 

Like most said, it depends on how artfully it's done. One of the most controversial is The Sopranos finale, which felt like a cheap way to end one of the most brilliant TV series of all time.

• Like 1

It ultimately just depends on the context of the moment that's left up to interpretation. Sometimes, it's not about something being left open to interpretation as much as it is a display of poor writing. It just depends, but I generally like things to be solved and explained by the end of a film.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

Like most said, it depends on how artfully it's done. One of the most controversial is The Sopranos finale, which felt like a cheap way to end one of the most brilliant TV series of all time.

I came to speak on The Sopranos. I didn't feel it was cheap at all.

Spoiler

The audience developed a deep connection to Tony so maybe it was for the best to leave out the bloody details of what likely happened right in front of Carmela and the kids. Between that possibility and the killings of Adriana and Christopher, the show just got so emotionally overwhelming after a certain point. Like the Jersey mob was dropping like flies towards the end, so literally what else was there to gather but the absolute worst for Tony, the boss of said mob. 

Edited by BGKC

Depends. Anatomy of a Fall was sensational and the question of "did she do it?" technically has an answer, but there's lot of opposing info. It can be interpreted in different ways and Sandra Hüller has gone on the record as not fully knowing herself. Had they made it overtly clear exactly what had happened, the entire film would've been made pointless because of what it's trying to say thematically. 

• Like 1

Usually I love it. I love interpreting movies that have open ended resolutions that leave it up to the viewer. Unfortunately, I feel like the average person is not intelligent enough to come to logical conclusions when viewing media.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:07 PM, KFC said:

Depends on the film but most of the time I don't like thinking, so I would love it if things are spelled out for me

I love this gen alpha energy

3 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

I love this gen alpha energy

Gen alpha :rip: i'm 54. :lmao:

Are we talking about things being left up for interpretation or about the recent worrying trend of people having absolutely 0 media literacy 

Yes , brokeback mountain did this. Did he die due to hate crime or not?

No, I'm like *****, I paid for this, give me that closure!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.