Rihanna Rated R Appreciation

ImsoLOUD

Which song is your favorite from Rated R?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Rated R track?

• Mad House
    • Wait Your Turn
    • Hard
    • Stupid In Love
    • Rockstar 101
    • Russian Roulette
    • Fire Bomb (her best song ever)
    • Rude Boy
    • Photographs
    • G4L (invented the Navy)
    • Te Amo (Lesbian Excellence)
    • Cold Case Love
    • The Last Song

Posted (edited)

After having a smash breakout era with Good Girl Gone Bad, Rihanna would go on to endure one of the most traumatic moments of her life in front of the world. Feeling heartbroken, resilient, and experimental as ever... she would go on to release a body of work that had little in common with the Pop landscape of 2009. While ANTi is revered as her best album by the GP today, some would argue that it wouldn't even exist without it's severely underrated true predecessor, Rated R.

"Russian Roulette" was released as the lead single from her fourth studio album. The song received positive reviews from critics and peaked within the top ten in numerous countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. It also achieved platinum certification in several countries. Additionally, "Russian Roulette" received nominations for various music awards, further highlighting its success.

"Wait Your Turn" didn't achieve the same level of commercial success as "Russian Roulette," though it still performed well. It reached the top 40 in several countries, including the United Kingdom and Australia, and received moderate airplay and digital sales. While it may not have been as big a hit as some of her other singles, it still contributed to the overall success of the album.

"Hard" featured rapper Young Jeezy and received positive reviews from music critics. The song achieved commercial success, peaking within the top ten in several countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. It was certified platinum in multiple countries and received nominations for various music awards. "Hard" contributed to the overall success of Rihanna's "Rated R" era and remains a fan favorite.

"Rude Boy" became one of Rihanna's biggest hits and the most successful song from the Rated R era. The song topped the charts in several countries, including the United States (her only #1 of the era, which stayed atop for 5 weeks), Canada, and the United Kingdom. It received widespread airplay and digital sales, and its catchy melody and playful lyrics made it a favorite among fans. The song is also the only track from Rated R to be included in Rihanna's Superbowl set list. "Rude Boy" further solidified Rihanna's status as one of the leading pop artists of the time, and it's sound arguably set the tone for Rihanna's next LP (LOUD).

"Rockstar 101"  featured guitarist Slash. While it didn't achieve the same level of commercial success as some of her other singles from the same album, it still performed decently. "Rockstar 101" reached the top 40 in several countries and received moderate airplay and digital sales. Its edgy sound and collaboration with Slash added to its appeal, making it a notable track from the "Rated R" era.

"Te Amo" by Rihanna was not as commercially successful as some of her other singles. Released in 2010 as the sixth single from her album "Rated R," the song didn't achieve significant chart success in many countries outside of Brazil where it reached #1 and became one of Rihanna's greatest hits in the country. Nevertheless, it did receive positive reviews from critics for its catchy melody and Rihanna's vocal performance. While it may not have been a massive commercial hit, "Te Amo" still garnered attention and contributed to the diversity of Rihanna's musical repertoire along with her international appeal. 

Honorable Mentions:

Edited by ImsoLOUD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Her 2nd best album :clap3:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly, this is one of her best bodies of work that she has ever put out in her career. 

If GGGB was the album that cemented her as a global popstar, Rated R was the album that cemented her as a truly versatile artist. After the highs of GGGB, she showed with this album that as an artist, she had mileage. She was here to stay. 

Not only was it infused with an undercurrent of darkness (a probable indirect reference to the terrible ordeal she went through), but it proved that she had something to say as an artist. She wasn't just a pretty face fronting a quick pop hit. This album gave her an artist credibility and integrity and an edge that set her apart from an average cookie cutter popstar. 

It was experimental, she was flirting with dubstep on G4L long before it became a mainstream pop sound. It was vulnerable. Stupid In Love, Cold Case Love, Photographs and even the lead song Russian Roulette show off the emotional capacity of her vocals and tone, in a way that she hadn't really done on previous albums...and it was forward thinking.

G4L gave birth to her fandom name. Rude Boy pointed the way to her next creative direction (Loud) and Hard was simply prophetic in many ways. "That Rihanna reign just won't let up" is still very much true today.

Edited by Zack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Her best album along with ANTI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Zack said:

Honestly, this is one of her best bodies of work that she has ever put out in her career. 

If GGGB was the album that cemented her as a global popstar, Rated R was the album that cemented her as a truly versatile artist. After the highs of GGGB, she showed with this album that as an artist, she had mileage. She was here to stay. 

Not only was it infused with an undercurrent of darkness (a probable indirect reference to the terrible ordeal she went through), but it proved that she had something to say as an artist. She wasn't just a pretty face fronting a quick pop hit. This album gave her an artist credibility and integrity and an edge that set her apart from an average cookie cutter popstar. 

It was experimental, she was flirting with dubstep on G4L long before it became a mainstream pop sound. It was vulnerable. Stupid In Love, Cold Case Love, Photographs and even the lead song Russian Roulette show off the emotional capacity of her vocals and tone, in a way that she hadn't really done on previous albums...and it was forward thinking.

G4L gave birth to her fandom name. Rude Boy pointed the way to her next creative direction (Loud) and Hard was simply prophetic in many ways. "That Rihanna reign just won't let up" is still very much true today.

this entire post :clap3::clap3::clap3:

• Like 1

A masterpiece! I can't believe there was a time I thought it was overrated (by the navy) 😭 definitely her 2nd best album

• Thanks 1

Her best album :clap3:

Fave tracks, Hard (her most underrated single), Russian Roulette, Fire Bomb, Cold Case Love :jonny5:

• Thanks 1

my fav Rih album. everything went right going into it. the emotion, the lyrics, the instrumentals, the vocals, the visuals, the delivery, everything,

i just wish it was longer or had a deluxe edition to include more songs than just Hole in My Head. :jonnycat:

• Thanks 1

Cold Case Love is 1 with Rude Boy :sorry:

• Thanks 1

I love this album and think it's her magnum opus.  Talk about an album she needed to release at the time, It's a perfect portrait of what she was going thru.  Revenge fantasies, anger, regret, sadness, and optimism.  

G4L is that track.  :clap3:

• Thanks 1

her best era - the fact her critical acclaim era was sandwiched between 2 smash eras and she did that at the age of 21 

Russian Roulette, Te Amo, Cold Case Love, Firebomb ugh 

if this got released in the poptimism era, it would easily have a 90+ on Metacritic because getting 75+ on Metacritic in 2000s was insane 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UGGGHHHH this is my favorite era of hers (overall).  It also helps it's the first time I met her…I was blinded by the beauty. :jonny5:  And she was so sweet.  

It's one of her most cohesive albums too sonically.  Just holds such a special place in my heart.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Fire Bomb, Photographs, Cold Case Love.

I remember Rated R was downloaded to my Nokia phone.

8ca90ce682acbd637484b3d95f3b11d2.jpg

Edited by Bends
  • Thanks 1

The album is basically flawless and everything about it just has Rihanna's own essence all over it, something about it makes me believe no one else could have pulled off such project. If GGGB made her a star, Rated R made her the pop icon she is today even if it didn't have the commercial success of it's predecessor and successor. :gaycat5:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

UGGGHHHH this is my favorite era of hers (overall).  It also helps it's the first time I met her…I was blinded by the beauty. :jonny5:  And she was so sweet.  

It's one of her most cohesive albums too sonically.  Just holds such a special place in my heart.  

OMG you met her back then :jonny5: jealous is an understatement lol I've been to two of her tours but I don't even know if I could handle actually meeting her I'd probably pass out :ahh: 

18 minutes ago, Bends said:

Fire Bomb, Photographs, Cold Case Love.

I remember Rated R was downloaded to my Nokia phone.

8ca90ce682acbd637484b3d95f3b11d2.jpg

this just triggered some real nostalgia I forgot all about her lowkey tragic Nokia show for the album :jonny6:

18 minutes ago, WaterDiamonds said:

The album is basically flawless and everything about it just has Rihanna's own essence all over it, something about it makes me believe no one else could have pulled off such project. If GGGB made her a star, Rated R made her the pop icon she is today even if it didn't have the commercial success of it's predecessor and successor. :gaycat5:

No one else!

spacer.png

A really great album and probably her best. So many gems and i love the whole vibe of the album

Her opus :clap3: it's not immediate, but with time and understanding you feel everything that she was going through here. I'm grateful she put that pain into something positive for her that's left a lasting impact. Justice for Fire Bomb (and Photographs!).

Cold Case Love still goes to this day, classic album. :clap3:

such a hauntingly beautiful album :heart: full of some sexy ass moments too no less lol

my second fav full length of hers after Unapologetic for sure!

Fire Bomb is my fav, but I also looooove Russian Roulette and Te Amo and Cold Case Love 

6 hours ago, ImsoLOUD said:

OMG you met her back then :jonny5: jealous is an understatement lol I've been to two of her tours but I don't even know if I could handle actually meeting her I'd probably pass out :ahh: 

Lmao…she was so beautiful.  A literal life size doll.  I was shook.  :gaycat6:

All I could think to say was: "I love you and hope to work with you one day." 😭😭😭 I told her I was going to school for music business + she was like: "Aww…you seem very smart.  And I'll see you at the top!" 

I still ain't worked with her…yet.  And at this rate, it might not happen given her pseudo retirement… :skull: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Lmao…she was so beautiful.  A literal life size doll.  I was shook.  :gaycat6:

All I could think to say was: "I love you and hope to work with you one day." 😭😭😭 I told her I was going to school for music business + she was like: "Aww…you seem very smart.  And I'll see you at the top!" 

I still ain't worked with her…yet.  And at this rate, it might not happen given her pseudo retirement… :skull: 

That is so sweet :chick3::heart: I still have hope for R9 :WAP: and for a collab between y'all two!  

• Like 1

That she was able to make something this beautiful despite all that pain she was in at that time, also a reason I'll never understand why people claim Anti is her only "album" :deadbanana4:

Conceptually and visually, this remains her best era. Such vision, such risk-taking, and the fact that she didn't give people easily digestible "I-made-it-through-the-pain-I-am-stronger-than-before" music but a legitimately vulnerable album and wasn't afraid to touch on such morbid and dark themes. Literally the era that made me fall in love with her as an artist and a person, and I owe it a lot getting me through dark high school years myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure how I forgot to add G4L to the OP: 

I haven't anything more to say. You probably wrote everything. 

It was a very important step in her career. Without Rated, she won't be as big. 

Cold case love and firebomb are my favorites. 

People were expecting something pop and catchy after GGGB or something very victimized after the drama. 

But she came back in a dark side with some experimental sounds, very deep but also very rude and stronger. 

A powerful woman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.