Tweet praising California Gurls goes viral on Twitter

naval23

Truly was the definition of pop perfection and gave birth to the blueprint Teenage Dream era

I fear we'll never have a moment like this again 

• Like 5

generic af? child friendly yet sexualized? produced by dr luke? featuring a rapper for no reason? what is so appealing about a basic bubblegum pop song that's nowhere near being obsolete in the music industry? could it be nostalgia? katy perry is still doing sh*t like this and y'all rightfully bully her bfr. smile was campy funky electro pop music. bonnie mckee is out there somewhere dropping songs like the one she wrote for teenage dream, no one gaf. dua lipa is right there making cute catchy pop songs and y'all bully her. selena gomez dropped two generic bombs recently. y'all refuse to see artists are still doing these types of songs but we all grew up and get blinded by nostalgia. no we don't need pop music like this again, we need innovation and maturity, ESPECIALLY from the artist mentioned in the OP who is allergic to growing with her music.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 11

There's definitely strong Katy Perry nostalgia in the air. She could smash with TD 2.0. 

4 minutes ago, playwithme said:

There's definitely strong Katy Perry nostalgia in the air. She could smash with TD 2.0. 

Teenage dream is going viral on Tik Tok :gayoncecat2: She should go back to make pure pop so bad without the rapist

12 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

generic af? child friendly yet sexualized? produced by dr luke? featuring a rapper for no reason? what is so appealing about a basic bubblegum pop song that's nowhere near being obsolete in the music industry? could it be nostalgia? katy perry is still doing sh*t like this and y'all rightfully bully her bfr. smile was campy funky electro pop music. bonnie mckee is out there somewhere dropping songs like the one she wrote for teenage dream, no one gaf. dua lipa is right there making cute catchy pop songs and y'all bully her. selena gomez dropped two generic bombs recently. y'all refuse to see artists are still doing these types of songs but we all grew up and get blinded by nostalgia. no we don't need pop music like this again, we need innovation and maturity, ESPECIALLY from the artist mentioned in the OP who is allergic to growing with her music.

Appreciate all your tea so I mean no disrespect, but I fear you might be too far removed from this specific genre of music if you think Smile or anything Dua or Selena have ever released are equivalent to anything on Teenage Dream. Are they all pop? Yes, but other than that umbrella term, they're really not the same in any capacity.

It's like how pop stans sometimes (accidentally or purposefully) lump all rock/rap/country/whatever other genre together just because they're the same genre and might sound somewhat similar to someone not actively consuming it when the reality is they're worlds apart when you zoom into the niche.

:lee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

Breathe lady ga ga stan, breathe. It's just a silly tweet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

you wouldn't understand.

ezgif-3-7137435e76.thumb.gif.e8a3ac93711

4 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

Appreciate all your tea so I mean no disrespect, but I fear you are too far removed from this specific genre of music if you think Smile or anything Dua or Selena have ever released are equivalent to anything on Teenage Dream. Are they all pop? Yes, but other than that umbrella term, they're really not the same in any capacity.

It's like how pop stans sometimes (accidentally or purposefully) lump all rock/rap/country/whatever other genre together just because they're the same genre and might sound somewhat similar to someone not actively consuming it when the reality is they're worlds apart when you zoom into the niche.

:lee:

i grew up on pop and alt music, the only reason why you think they are worlds apart or not in the same capacity is because albums like teenage dream for most of us who were kids/teens at the time were our introductory moments into big pop moments, they sounded fresh at the time. now we've already heard the same kind of concepts, chord progressions, melodies, hooks, styles a million times over the years so none of the new pop songs "hit" as much as stuff we grew up on, that were the first sonic blasts for our nervous systems. it's like a drug/cigarette and how it will never be like the first hit. it's pure nostalgia and you're seeking that kind of experience again but it's just the part of our growing up. we already had future nostalgia which is as close to teenage dream as you can get in terms of massive hits, big bombastic pop moments, carefree dance bops. how is that worlds apart from teenage dream? if KP tried to do anything like teenage dream now (and she absolutely did try with smile, it was her trying to go back to that kind of vibe after the mess that was witness) y'all would it call reductive, generic, basic and it would flop. we already have espresso smashing, how is that worlds apart from teenage dream? i am open to understand if you can actually explain, but i genuinely think it's just nostalgia. 

23 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

All that text to say nothing in the end- just dust 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

Who hurt you? :rip:

Anyway, nostalgia is very strong and with summer on its way, this is a perfect song for it. It's been a while since we have proper summer smashes, those songs you hear all summer and that basically represent what it feels like enjoying the summer, I miss that.

Just now, UnusualBoy said:

Who hurt you? :rip:

Anyway, nostalgia is very strong and with summer on its way, this is a perfect song for it. It's been a while since we have proper summer smashes, those songs you hear all summer and that basically represent what it feels like enjoying the summer, I miss that.

espresso is right there sis! we have moved on from needing katy perry to serve any summer bops. like a decade ago. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

espresso is right there sis! we have moved on from needing katy perry to serve any summer bops. like a decade ago. 

the fact that this flop still invokes such strong visceral reactions in you all a decade later… the ptsd is real. anyway perched for katy's comeback, it seems you and the GP are also!

31 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

How was it catered to kids exactly? All pop music contains sexual innuendoes. You think teens were not listening to Lady Gaga's "Love Game"? 

11 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

i grew up on pop and alt music, the only reason why you think they are worlds apart or not in the same capacity is because albums like teenage dream for most of us who were kids/teens at the time were our introductory moments into big pop moments, they sounded fresh at the time. now we've already heard the same kind of concepts, chord progressions, melodies, hooks, styles a million times over the years so none of the new pop songs "hit" as much as stuff we grew up on, that were the first sonic blasts for our nervous systems. it's like a drug/cigarette and how it will never be like the first hit. it's pure nostalgia and you're seeking that kind of experience again but it's just the part of our growing up. we already had future nostalgia which is as close to teenage dream as you can get in terms of massive hits, big bombastic pop moments, carefree dance bops. how is that worlds apart from teenage dream? if KP tried to do anything like teenage dream now (and she absolutely did try with smile, it was her trying to go back to that kind of vibe after the mess that was witness) y'all would it call reductive, generic, basic and it would flop. we already have espresso smashing, how is that worlds apart from teenage dream? i am open to understand if you can actually explain, but i genuinely think it's just nostalgia. 

FUME gaga stan! 2013 going STRONG!

36 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

Stay mad, that girlies want cotton candy dreams and not music to watch planes make chemtrails over their honeymoon banister at the Holiday Inn. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phaunzie said:

Stay mad, that girlies want cotton candy dreams and not music to watch planes make chemtrails over their honeymoon banister at the Holiday Inn. 

DAILY over a million:

Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection - 4,487,891

PRISM (Deluxe) - 1,735,482

One Of The Boys - 1,308,742

Born To Die – Paradise Edition (Special Version) - 6,206,427

Ultraviolence - 3,319,840

Norman ******* Rockwell! - 2,605,052

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - 2,065,780

Lust For Life - 1,169,785

Honeymoon - 1,291,730

Posted (edited)

One of her worst singles, the song is atrocious. Just listen to TikTok or whatever it sounds like.

Edited by M.R.
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hes right. But he's also a guy who has viral tweets every other Tuesday 

Edited by Hexchromatica

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

DAILY over a million:

Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection - 4,487,891

PRISM (Deluxe) - 1,735,482

One Of The Boys - 1,308,742

Born To Die – Paradise Edition (Special Version) - 6,206,427

Ultraviolence - 3,319,840

Norman ******* Rockwell! - 2,605,052

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - 2,065,780

Lust For Life - 1,169,785

Honeymoon - 1,291,730

I'm srry but we are talking about 2024 charts, when the girlies are clearly itching for their bubble pop fix and not florida kilos. Like Miss Carpenter is on top of her espresso straw super-soaking the rest of girls in her juices. Like is it that good? I think so. Campy Bubble Pop is coming back, Lana's ultra-violent blues are nowhere near the Billboard Hot 100 top 10s. Like a recession is coming queen, society wants their pop, lock it and drop it.

Spring Break Dancing GIF by Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter's 'Espresso' Leads Midweek U.K. Chart (billboard.com)

Edited by Phaunzie

Absolute pop perfection. Stomps on Teenage Dream too

3 minutes ago, Phaunzie said:

I'm srry but we are talking about 2024 charts, when the girlies are clearly itching for their bubble pop fix and not florida kilos. Like Miss Carpenter is on top of her espresso straw super-soaking the rest of girls in her juices. Like is it that good? I think so. Campy Bubble Pop is coming back, Lana's ultra-violent blues are nowhere near the Billboard Hot 100 top 10s. Like a recession is coming queen, society wants their pop, lock it and drop it.

Spring Break Dancing GIF by Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter's 'Espresso' Leads Midweek U.K. Chart (billboard.com)

That is daily Spotify charts from this week sweetie! I hope that helps

@RideOrDie Teenage Dream >>>>>>> Born This Way

OT: The title track and The One That Got Away are the best song on the album.

• Like 1

The fact that even an ounce of Katy Perry praise brings out the worst most unhinged meltdowns from haters :ahh: She truly has done a number on some of y'all's brains and lives rent free in your heads. Praying for y'all.

OT: Timeless summer anthem and classic. It was truly one of a kind music combined with Katy's infectious bubbly personality, and defined early 2010s pop music, no wonder people are always bopping. :clap3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

I'm speaking purely of the sound of the music, not about about the size or impact of the era itself, which is a separate topic altogether and I do agree in that capacity some comparisons can be made with other artists like Dua as you pointed out.

Katy actually did hit that "Teenage Dream sound but make it modern" sweet spot with Never Really Over and she was praised for it accordingly. The fact that it somewhat underperformed despite that speaks more so to her career standing than to the actual reception of the song.

I definitely don't hear many strong similarities between most late 2000s/early 2010s pop and most modern pop songs (like the ones you pointed out in your original post) other than them being under the pop umbrella, and I don't think that's just nostalgia because I can say the exact same thing for most 90s pop versus most 2000s pop and so on. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with them being different, but just highlighting that they are indeed different enough to be distinct and it's not just nostalgia blinding the senses.

I do agree Espresso has some sonic ties to that early 2010s pop sound, but I also think if Katy did that, she would indeed be praised for it just like she was for NRO and not be dragged for it as you believe. Would it smash like Espresso? It's doubtful, but again, that's more an indicator of her career standing versus Sabrina's and it's very likely that people who enjoy Espresso by Sabrina would enjoy it about the same if it was by Katy.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.