Lily Allen: "Nepo baby is a term exclusively used for women, like Karen"

Hector

Posted (edited)

"Nepo babies, I think it's quite like 'Karen', in the sense that it's just a word that is basically used for women who are taking up space, and we'd rather they didn't, and they should just go away," the "**** You" singer said on her Miss Me podcast.

Allen, 39, is the daughter of British actor Keith Allen. Her brother Alfie is also an actor, best known for his work on Game of Thrones. "My brother, for instance, doesn't get called nepo baby, and I do," Allen continued this week.

Allen elaborated that the "infantilizing nature" of the term "baby" is "something that is almost exclusively used for women," adding, "I don't think I can even really name any male nepo babies."

Nevertheless, she said, it's her observed male-female difference that is most annoying. "I feel like a lot of the time over the past 15, 20 years when I've been written about it will always say 'Lily Allen, daughter of Keith Allen' and I don't see that happening with boys as often as it does with girls," she said.

Allen added that she thinks the dissonance comes from audiences seeking an explanation for "what it really was that put" famous women on the map, whereas male fame seems already acceptable.

Her hot takes every month are... something :suburban:

Edited by Hector
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

She's also far more famous than her brother though.

Also isn't Brooklyn Beckham the go-to for using nepo baby as an insult?

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Seems she hasn't heard about "Kevin"

• Thumbs Down 1

her takes are ice cold lmao

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Fitzswiftie said:

She's also far more famous than her brother though.

Also isn't Brooklyn Beckham the go-to for using nepo baby as an insult?

I don't know if fame is the factor. Nobody knows George Clooney is a nepo baby. With certain actors like Josh Brolin, Charlie Sheen, and Michael Douglas it's almost seen as a positive.  However, everyone knows Jen Aniston, Gwyneth Platrow and Drew Barrymore are nepo-babies though very few people can name their parents. And it's always stated derogatorily, especially with Paltrow.  

• Like 6

I agree they go really hard on rich women in general; sometimes for no reason. I'm poor but they seem so jealous and vengeful to me. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Wealthy British people who were born wealthy are always hilariously out of touch and unaware of their own privilege

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Thumbs Down 1

Nepo Baby is just a dumb trend. Nepo Babies should only be bashed if they are untalented. The talented ones can stay

3 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Wealthy British people who were born wealthy are always hilariously out of touch and unaware of their own privilege

I'm not sure she is unaware of her own privilege though. She raises a valid point that her family connections have always been used to undermine her success and yet it's just assumed that her brother got his acting career based only on his talent.

• Like 2

when keeping it real goes wrong

5 minutes ago, raisetheroof said:

You deliberately left out the part where she acknowledged that there is truth to the claims. She doesn't dispute it, she just points out how it's most often weaponized against women:toofunny2:

I honestly do think she raises a valid point. You often see it used against women in a way that inherently tries to undermine their talent and success in a way that you don't often see it used against men. When men garner success, even if aided by nepotism, that success is usually not attributed only to those nepo ties.

It reminds me of the discussions around Taylor, where there seems to be an underlying tone of sexism. Sure, Taylor's carbon footprint is significant, and it's a real issue. But we rarely see the same level of scrutiny aimed at male celebrities like Jay-Z or Drake, who also top the lists for celebrity carbon emissions each year.

There's a delicate balance, though, to strike between dismissing valid critiques due to accusations of sexism and recognizing when criticism might be disproportionately harsh or more pointedly directed at women. 

Please can we forget about taylor ******* swift for one second lol

Anyway, who are these nepo baby women that are getting more heat than the men? You give zero examples.

I feel like we have time to lash both genders and we generally do.

But yes, sexism is a thing. Who knew?

Another Ice cold take from this flop to make us feel sorry for her..write another "Everythings Just Wonderful" or RETIRE sis

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 3

2 minutes ago, TYMPS said:

Please can we forget about taylor ******* swift for one second lol

Anyway, who are these nepo baby women that are getting more heat than the men? You give zero examples.

I feel like we have time to lash both genders and we generally do.

But yes, sexism is a thing. Who knew?

Another Ice cold take from this flop to make us feel sorry for her..write another "Everythings Just Wonderful" or RETIRE sis

Why are you so pressed :toofunny2:

It seems your frontal lobes are not yet developed enough to understand the layers of systemic sexism. Put the phone down and go to bed, it's a school night:deadbanana2:

• Like 2

She never claimed she is not a nepo baby so I don't know why people are angry here.

• Like 1

… Ben platt, Brooklynn Beckham, Jaden Smith, and plenty of other male nepo babies exist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

she's right about Karen being a misogynistic insult idc

• Thumbs Down 4

as if Brooklyn Beckham isn't the poster child of nepo babies :rip:Karen please

Posted (edited)

I think women generally do get the nepo baby title a bit more, but that's part of a larger issue. Women are just treated worse period, rich, poor, famous or otherwise. 

Edited by ShouldersSideways
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Not sure about other countries but in Mexico we're tired of how Eugenio Derbez keeps shoving his ugly family down everyone's throats :ryan3:

Edit: Oh and I was forgetting he was being dragged to hell and back recently for being a nepo baby too s:wan:

Edited by BrokenMachine
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

Not sure about other countries but in Mexico we're tired of how Eugenio Derbez keeps shoving his ugly family down everyone's throats :ryan3:

Edit: Oh and I was forgetting he was being dragged to hell and back recently for being a nepo baby too s:wan:

The fact that he claimed he made it on his own after someone told him no, when his mom literally worked for the network he started in, she was literally the first protagonic in their first telenovela :bibliahh:

• Haha 3

Shutup nepo baby. 

• Like 1

Can she just release music instead of these stupid observations?

She's right about the Karen part. I worked customer service for years and there's actually more male Karens than women Karens. Nobody notices them tho because guys are expected to be assholes and women are expected to be meek

Now for the nepo baby, men have also been called it often, so she's wrong, but I think the whole nepo baby discourse is stupid anyway

• Like 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.