Top Posters In This Topic

• MusicIsMyMaster

• Miichael

• V$.

• josesuxx

Gaga and Tony's soul have possessed her. :alexz:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm really indifferent at the direction her career has taken following Escapism sonically. Lots of M21CB and this song share the exact same problem of not being the type of music I can consider listening to constantly. Whether that's because of the preachy word-salad lyricism is another thing. I don't think I'll be returning to this unfortunately. :monkey:

yeahhh ESS was her peak musically for me. at least give us more Black Mascaras

i get that she had a personal journey but it feels like all her songs now are about her addictions

nvm this clicked and we love her again

• Like 1

I like part ii, the part iii is not bad but feels out of the place in the whole thing but on its own, it's cute.

Incredible 😲 

genesis part II aka the radio edit is FANTASTIC

the whole masterpiece is amazing with the accompanying video ugh

ugh she's so ******* talented

what are the differences between all those parts?

Oh my, just watched the video and listened It for the first time, I'm so blown away. This is great.

30 minutes ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

what are the differences between all those parts?

part I = monologue/first verse

part II = the song

part iii = jazz edit

genesis. = 3 parts together

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I like Part II. I think she's at a point (especially in the UK) where she could easily play the game again and be a full-on pop/R&B star if she wanted, but she's been so traumatized by the industry side of it all that she just wants to create the art she wants for now, which I respect. It is why she went independent after all. Even though this specific single is a bit messy for me, I can see the passion she's put behind the song and concept, which is rare to see from bigger artists today who have major labels casting a shadow over their artistic vision.

i do think she knows she's an outsider, if she gets a hit it's because she would go viral, so it's better to be faithful to her artistry than to play the game. it's so smart because she's building a fanbase that will buy her albums, go to her concerts,... and maybe get a hit

barely to no one is doing it like her. probably she's the realest musician from our time

Edited by theweekend
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Part II is excellent. :jonny: Part III is... gonna take some time to grow on me. Appreciate the ambition tho. :clap3:

Edited by Virgos Groove

Video slaps

• Like 1

It's incredible :jonny:

• Like 1

This is excellent!  Definitely lived up to the hype!  And I love that she made both a longer version for herself and a shorter version for radio and streaming - we stan an art AND the charts chanteuse :fan:

• Like 1

The video is so powerful omg 

6 hours ago, alexaalto said:

ikr.

This new type of music isn't really my type of what I listen what she's done with most of M21CB (I love Escapism, The Thrill Is Gone demo, Black Mascara, Hard Out Here demo and sometimes Flip A Switch ft. Normani.) but all the other tracks have all under 10 streams cause it just ain't my type.

I was so hyped (and she seemed to be too at the time) when she teased songs from the scrapped album which was supposed to have cest la vie, born again, fantastic etc. The outtakes and demos from that era are just TOP TIER. she seemed to enjoy those songs too

I get that she wants to do "meaningful, critically acclaimed, sonically impressive" music like M21CB but she also has loved doing dance beat tracks according to her previously. I get all the label drama cause I've followed her a long time but still she created so many dance beat songs for her scrapped album(s) which she loved and wanted us to hear based on her ig stories.

it broke my heart a bit when she said that quote under. I became her fan in 2019 because of her dance-y tracks and that's how I personally got to known her as an artist so yeah this genre switch is something to chew on. it just sucks she undermines her previous work:katie: 

I think lady gaga is a good example that she knows what her fans like but also does something for her (the jazz albums, country etc) and still doesn't bash on her pop/dance work, in summary.

5 hours ago, glitch said:

Yeah I don't understand her trashing her previous songs. Like yeah it makes sense for things like BED or By Your Side because those were DJ collabs her label made her do, but nothing about her SECOND EP was giving label forced. Side Tape was kinda the best of both worlds with a commercial sound that still felt authentic to her and the same goes for Euphoric Sad Songs to a certain extent. She expects me to believe she hates songs like Shhh, Love Of Your Life and Natalie Don't? I won't accept it sorry

She's said that she never came into the industry to be a dance artist and that it was a genre that was totally forced upon her and she had to learn to love it and train herself into enjoying writing those songs, she probably doesn't hate every song she made during that time but it just doesn't really represent who she is as an artist. I enjoy a lot of her old dance music but I prefer hearing her make the kind of music she wants to, the level of passion in the music is clearly on another level. Those songs will always exist and be there to listen to, but she's definitely moved on from it now. I can still see her doing the occasional feature or dance remix though like with Waterfall and Prada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

video of the year:clap3:

damn.what a queen 

I tried to give this another chance but unfortunately a second listen has just further reinforced the fact that this song simply isn't for me. I do hope that she takes full advantage of her talent and creative freedom to explore different themes/concepts moving forward.

Lyrically & thematically this really doesn't offer anything she hasn't already done on My 21st Century Blues. Whilst I do admire her honesty and vulnerability in her music, another album cycle centred around the same topics isn't something I would personally be interested in. I remain optimistic that she has more material to come that I will enjoy a bit more than this. 

30 minutes ago, tbhmatt said:

I tried to give this another chance but unfortunately a second listen has just further reinforced the fact that this song simply isn't for me. I do hope that she takes full advantage of her talent and creative freedom to explore different themes/concepts moving forward.

Lyrically & thematically this really doesn't offer anything she hasn't already done on My 21st Century Blues. Whilst I do admire her honesty and vulnerability in her music, another album cycle centred around the same topics isn't something I would personally be interested in. I remain optimistic that she has more material to come that I will enjoy a bit more than this. 

It's worth remembering that she started writing this song in 2022, so when she was still firmly in the M21CB headspace.

What a video. :WAP: Song is amazing too.

25 minutes ago, Miichael said:

It's worth remembering that she started writing this song in 2022, so when she was still firmly in the M21CB headspace.

Hopefully this is a standalone single to wrap up the themes and concepts of M21CB and is acting like a musical "bridge" in to a new era. (Hopefully not a jazz era tho ddddd)

• Like 1

oh this was absolutely everything!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tbhmatt said:

Hopefully this is a standalone single to wrap up the themes and concepts of M21CB and is acting like a musical "bridge" in to a new era. (Hopefully not a jazz era tho ddddd)

She calls it in an intermission in this Interview so it is basically a closing to the M21CB era. Who knows what comes next but I honestly think she will keep genre hoppping on album 2. 

Edited by beatsandbops

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.