Did the world fail Jessie J?

SweetTalker

She has very good album cuts that give a glimpse of the type of artist she was meant to be :'( 

• Like 1

yes

• Like 1

R.O.S.E. was one of my favorite R&B releases of the last decade. She should explore that more. 

i don't know something about her image just felt.... very out of place and annoying but she's very talented tho 

• Like 2

No, she has many classics in Asia. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taste of Honey said:

R.O.S.E. was one of my favorite R&B releases of the last decade. She should explore that more. 

I want nothing but R&B and pop adjacent r&b from her after falling in love with R.O.S.E. That's what her voice was made for:WAP:

Posted (edited)

She's huge in China, right? Who You Are is an underrated pop bible album tbh :clap: 

Hit after hit, bop after bop. 

Not to rehash tired Stan Culture talking points, but I think shaving her head (instead of keeping the iconic black bob) so early in her career messed up her image.

Edited by Reginald

we declared jessie j should be a bigger artist?

• Like 6

jessie-j-no-no-no-no.gif

• Haha 3

honestly, it did. She got undeserved lashings, especially from this article:

It's not about the money! Jessie J leaves lucrative gig at The Voice Australia to focus on fledgling music career... before belting out 'Price Tag' in her kitchen for friends

She was one of pop's biggest names for a few fleeting moments several years ago, but these days she's better known as a professional TV talent show judge.

However, now Jessie J is set to say goodbye to her lucrative gig at The Voice Australia after two successful seasons to focus on her fledgling pop career instead.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, the 28-year-old explained that it was time for her to 'get back to the music' after realizing that it had already been two years since her last hit, Bang Bang, was released.

The former bisexual did two seasons on The Voice UK from 2012 to 2013, before joining the Australian version of the reality TV series last year for two seasons.

While it's unclear just how much she was paid for the Channel Nine series, she reportedly pocketed $420,000 AUD per season for the UK version, and would've likely banked a similar fee Down Under.

The British singer's last sizable pop hit was 2014's Bang Bang, although the majority of the track's popularity was down to its A-list co-artists, Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande.

35E1BD9D00000578-0-image-a-27_1467464347

Straight to the bargain bin: Jessie's music career has been on the decline for a few years, with her last album, Sweet Talker, yielding the lowest sales of her career

Jessie's record sales have noticeably declined with each release since her debut album, Who You Are, was released to great success in 2011.

Following her decision not to return to The Voice Australia, Jessie took to her Sydney kitchen to belt out some of her old hits whilst cooking dinner for her friends.

Makeup-free and dressed in a tracksuit, the down-to-earth songstress delivered a rendition of her best known single, Price Tag, proving that she has yet to grow tired of the song after all these years.

35E1BC9800000578-0-image-a-40_1467464700

She's still got an audience! Despite her dwindling chart success, Jessie's closest friends were happy to hear her belt out 'Price Tag' while she cooked them dinner in her tracksuit pants

'This is how I am at home most of the time,' she wrote to her Instagram fans as she shared the video.

Jessie continued: 'Tracksuit, no makeup, hat (is random but still) always cooking for everyone, singing and rehearsing as I go...'.

The outspoken star confessed to Nova FM this month that she's taking her time working on her fourth studio album, which currently has no release date.

'My next album for me is so important that I cannot rush it and I rushed the last one a little bit, even though I was very lucky to have a lot of success,' she said.

35CF7C3300000578-0-image-m-36_1467464630

• Haha 2

No. She was so overly self conscious about her artistry, being a technically correct singer and her own self belief that she possesses the talent to be considered one of the greatest music legends of all time. That self belief sucked the life out of any actual creativity she potentially had.  

What she does possess is a wide expressive vocal range but that alone did not make people warm to her when she very obviously had an ego the size of a house, which in her case was separate from raw ambition and commercial intuition (two qualities she never possessed).

• Like 1

No she sabotaged herself. You can't blame the world if the music ain't it. 

Posted (edited)

I still think she should've just called herself Jessica J

and yes

Edited by harwee

She failed herself :rip: she has a very irritating and grating personality, she released terrible singles (from mediocre albums) and she focused more on TV than music

Justice for one of her best songs ever

No 

She honestly seems annoying irl. 

When she held those plane passengers captive, that's the last straw for everyone

Posted (edited)

But the Chinese love her. Not Westernized Chinese though. 

If I were a flop everywhere else, I'd be happy knowing that I'm the Empress of China. 

spacer.png

Edited by SoldierofLove

She has a powerful voice and a few decent hits, but her albums themselves are quite dull. She throws everything into each album, and you even forget which album we're talking about.

Justice for Thunder, her best song.

She was a good example of the "faceless" accusations that are thrown around a lot here. No clear identity that differentiated her from the rest. A few memorable bops though, Domino is a classic.

I think the real question we should be asking her is...did the world fail JessieJHeartbeat?

jessie-j.gif

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.