Olly Alexander addresses Eurovision boycott

FOCK

Posted (edited)

It sounds like he understands perfectly what is happening & acknowledged that you cannot seperate the political reality from the competition. No "qualification" is needed, Olly.

Meanwhile, the "complicated situation" is Israel has shut down Al Jazeera, closed the border trapping over a million in Rafah, most of whom are children - & is actively engaging in a massacre. 

Edited by FOCK

he sounds so ignorant, hope the nul points for that terrible song are worth it

• Like 11
  • Thumbs Down 1

The fact that he doesn't even need to respond in the first place

Just pick another contestant to harass

And leave him alone 

• Like 10

i am so sick of hearing people say 'complicated situation' as a cop out from speaking up

wishing nothing but the worst for him and everybody else taking participating in that shitty contest 

• Like 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

not the tears... how exactly is he the victim in this situation? because people asked him to boycott?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Yea calling it "complicated situation" is not it. 

At the same time, boycotting Eurovision does NOTHING for this genocide and is completely performative. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

not the tears... how exactly is he the victim in this situation? because people asked him to boycott?

Because he has been endlessly harassed for something he has no control over?

Edited by abelfenty
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

7 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

he has control over his career and what he does. he chose to participate, that does not make him a victim. people are allowed to criticise him and ask him to boycott, if he can't handle it maybe fame isn't for him. 

• Like 14
  • Thumbs Down 2

he's gonna flop anyway, so

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

So people aren't allowed to criticize and voice their opinions? 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, fememeist said:

So people aren't allowed to criticize and voice their opinions? 

There is a difference between voicing your opinion and straight up harassing someone 

• Like 3

The people purposely mad at Olly as if he's the source of all evil for wanting to participate in a once in a life time opportunity are ruining it for people who genuinely care about the cause.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, fa77ot said:

he's gonna flop anyway, so

what if he wins 

channels4_profile.thumb.jpg.761aad9a3fdd

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

There is a difference between voicing your opinion and straight up harassing someone 

It's the internet/social media. Any artist the size of his nature will always receive "harassment" from anyone(it's very apparent for him because of the type of music and fans he has). That doesn't make it right, so him crying/victimizing himself is very tone deaf, acting as if he's one of kids in Gaza being bombed

• Like 6

he selfishly decided to participate because he thought it would further his career KNOWING it was going to be controversial given everything that's happened with Eurovision and Russia/Israel... and now that he's getting backlash he's starting to think that maybe he made the wrong gamble and it might actually hurt his image among his fans. boo f*cking hoo. i'm sorry but other celebs get dragged daily for way less. i do not feel bad for him and neither should anyone else. let him sleep in the bed he's made for himself. 

• Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Mezik said:

The people purposely mad at Olly as if he's the source of all evil

Nobody thinks that. This isn't even about him / an individual. This is bigger than him & a singing competition. It's about the platform he currently wields & the nation he is representing. 

3 minutes ago, Mezik said:

are ruining it for people who genuinely care about the cause.

It's nice that you care about "the cause". 
If asking someone to actually use their platform to take action "ruins it" for you, then you can keep that, on some "thoughts & prayers" bs. 

Imagine thinking being asked to boycott genocide white-washing is harassment. And yes, it is complicity. Yes, boycotts & disassociation are effective. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The crying ksjsjsjso. You are not the victim in this Olly. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in him because it seemed like he gets it at first, but oh well. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

he selfishly decided to participate because he thought it would further his career KNOWING it was going to be controversial given everything that's happened with Eurovision and Russia/Israel... and now that he's getting backlash he's starting to think that maybe he made the wrong gamble and it might actually hurt his image among his fans. boo f*cking hoo. i'm sorry but other celebs get dragged daily for way less. i do not feel bad for him and neither should anyone else. let him sleep in the bed he's made for himself. 

There's 36 other artists in the competition, multiple of which have bigger social followings than Olly. Yet he's the one that's faced all this harassment. Israel have competed at Eurovision since the 70s, but now suddenly a group of people have decided it's okay to attack one artist out of hundreds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wait why was a pop star on his level taking part in Eurovision? :biblio:

• Like 1

He deserves the lashings because he acts like the biggest SJW and he exposed himself as a FRAUD!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's clear that he is feeling conflicted …. But he willingly put himself in this position. Nobody forced him to enter so he should feel uncomfortable. 

In many ways, I do feel for him because very few people would have the moral courage to actually take a stand. The crocodile tears should stop though. You've made your decision so live with it. 

• Like 3

As evident by some posts in here the world has gone INSANE. I'm truly buffled how some of you expect someone to throw away an opportunity bc of a war they have no control over. Like where's the connection between him and a ******* war?? How are you guys going about your daily lives with a mindset like this?

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, State of Grace. said:

The crying ksjsjsjso. You are not the victim in this Olly. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in him because it seemed like he gets it at first, but oh well. 

I love Olly & I'm more disappointed because he gets it. 

3 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

There's 36 other artists in the competition, multiple of which have bigger social followings than Olly. Yet he's the one that's faced all this harassment. Israel have competed at Eurovision since the 70s, but now suddenly a group of people have decided it's okay to attack one artist out of hundreds 

It's plainly untrue that other representatives aren't facing similar requests - you're just seeing the English ones. Olly just has a higher profile, as does the UK in general, including in its complicity in the ongoing crisis. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

other artists have also been asked to boycott, Olly is not that unique. let's be real, the majority of Europeans don't even know who he is. he's crying because he's losing support from his core fanbase - British gays, but again, that's a situation of his own making. he should've had these conversations before he decided to fly to Sweden. 

literally nobody is forcing him to do Eurovision, just like nobody is forcing him to not do Eurovision. however, people are absolutely allowed to express their opinion on how he's using his platform to support a continent-wide competition that's whitewashing Israeli crimes in Gaza. like I said, he knew it was going to be controversial but did not care until now, why? 

and yes people have been calling for Israel to be kicked out for many years, it's just that the hypocrisy is much more obvious now with Russia getting kicked out and not Israel + the genocide in Gaza made this issue more pressing than ever, which is why there is more people vocalising this opinion. people are rightfully outraged.

• Thanks 3

Does ATRL support a free Palestine like it says? The Eurovision megathread should be CLOSED indefinitely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1