Lana Del Rey reveals why she closed out Coachella show with The Backrooms meme track.

NOW

73394790007-20240419-coachella-friday-01

There were two reasons my guitar player, Blake, and I decided this was the right song – the way, the three months of rehearsal in Sylmar played out was exactly like The Shining, we would joke about it as people were quitting, burning files—every day was a new insane other worldly challenge. On the other hand, one thing I think about every day is watching my grandfather live with Alzheimer's for 10 years. It was the scariest thing to think that he didn't know where he was or who he was to the point that it affected my sense of who our creator was. If everything happens for a reason, how could there be a reason for letting someone live without knowing who they were or where they were for so long- it didn't seem fair and it made it hard to enjoy life to its fullest knowing he was suffering.

On more pointed simple note it was a beautiful song, coming off the back of the foxtrot version of the great Gatsby song – sonically I think it perfectly embodied both sides of the coin of the rise and the fall of that era.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6JOpjNNKxU/

Lana closes out her Coachella show with the Y&B Jazz Foxtrot mix that then transitions into The Caretaker's It's just a burning memory ~5:20 mark:

In typical LDR fashion, The Caretaker song also samples famous jazz vocalist Al Bowlly:

• Like 5

we love an artist

• Like 2

I didn't know the full story about her grandfather, wow.

• Like 1

a visionnaire  :clap3:

• Like 1

literally one of a kind :alexz:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

a captivating, once in a lifetime artist whose impact & influence will be studied for decades to come while her music will pass through generations

unlike the fad pop girls of the quarter atrl loves to stan whose apparently better singers and dancers than lana... :redface:

Edited by RideOrDie
  • Like 1

she's my fav and I appreciate her artistry so highly but it's so funny to me how she's this interesting and simultaneously attends Churchome regularly :rip: 

Sad that The Caretaker is known as "meme" music. He's made countless beautiful works before the Tiktok crowd sullied his reputation.

I mean, the woman is a genius

1 hour ago, bleuwaffle said:

Sad that The Caretaker is known as "meme" music. He's made countless beautiful works before the Tiktok crowd sullied his reputation.

And that has what to do with this thread exactly 

2 hours ago, bleuwaffle said:

I'd say his music going viral helped give him more mainstream recognition and made sure it'd be remembered by another generation, which is ironic since his music is based on the progressive stages of dementia and eventually losing all of your memories.

It's great that Lana herself is aware of the premise of his music and how it personally relates to her family history. It's also a perfect track to include in the setlist because it encapsulates a huge part of the Ocean Blvd album themes of legacy, family history, and death. Lots of layers to this and I'm impressed she decided to end Coachella with it, when people would normally expect a huge anthem to close out a show but that just wouldn't be her style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a visionary :clap3:

6 hours ago, NOW said:

73394790007-20240419-coachella-friday-01

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6JOpjNNKxU/

Lana closes out her Coachella show with the Y&B Jazz Foxtrot mix that then transitions into The Caretaker's It's just a burning memory ~5:20 mark:

In typical LDR fashion, The Caretaker song also samples famous jazz vocalist Al Bowlly:

I never knew about the burninf memories from Caretaker or whatever. I only knew Heartaches by AI Bowlly and Patsy Cline :skull:

8 hours ago, suburbannature said:

And that has what to do with this thread exactly 

He's literally the artist Lana's talking about and the thread title referred to him as the "backrooms meme". Are you slow?

6 hours ago, NOW said:

I'd say his music going viral helped give him more mainstream recognition and made sure it'd be remembered by another generation, which is ironic since his music is based on the progressive stages of dementia and eventually losing all of your memories.

It's great that Lana herself is aware of the premise of his music and how it personally relates to her family history. It's also a perfect track to include in the setlist because it encapsulates a huge part of the Ocean Blvd album themes of legacy, family history, and death. Lots of layers to this and I'm impressed she decided to end Coachella with it, when people would normally expect a huge anthem to close out a show but that just wouldn't be her style.

That is true. He would have probably faded into obscurity had he not become a copy pasta. The memes gave a project that ended years ago a second life, which is rare. I was being cynical, you're right.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bleuwaffle said:

He's literally the artist Lana's talking about and the thread title referred to him as the "backrooms meme". Are you slow?

That is true. He would have probably faded into obscurity had he not become a copy pasta. The memes gave a project that ended years ago a second life, which is rare. I was being cynical, you're right.

Girl get a grip. I didn't see it in the title 

Edited by suburbannature

Expected no less from my retro-future HONEYMOON chanteuse. :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.