Are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo?

mercurialworld

Posted (edited)

Cinco de Mayo, also known as the "Fifth of May", is a holiday that is celebrated by many in the United States (and fewer in Mexico) to commemorate the unlikely victory of the Mexican army against French forces in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. However, many people often confuse this holiday with Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually celebrated on September 16th. Despite its historical significance, Cinco de Mayo has become synonymous with sombreros, margaritas, and Mexican-themed parties in the U.S.

But where did this tradition come from? The holiday first gained popularity in the U.S. during the 1960s, when Mexican-American activists utilized the celebration as a way to promote their culture and fight against racial discrimination. Over the years, Cinco de Mayo has evolved to become a commercialized holiday, with many companies using it as a marketing tactic to sell products and capitalize on the festivities. This has sparked debates about cultural appropriation and the true meaning behind the holiday.

So, ATRLers, are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo this year? Do you think it is important to honour its historical significance or is it simply a fun excuse to have a party?

Mexico_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Edited by mercurialworld
  • Thumbs Down 1

dollaritas time, salud! 

• Like 1

In Mexico we don't celebrate that, it's a day like any other :giraffe:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nah none of the latinos I know irl celebrate it like that. I feel like I only ever see gringos celebrating, using the holiday as an excuse to drink

"CiNcO dE dRinKo" :juanny:it's insulting

Edited by Bhabylon
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm on call so I had to do my margaritas last weekend

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Bhabylon said:

not really. i feel like I only ever see gringos celebrating, using the holiday as an excuse to drink

"CiNcO dE dRinKo" :juanny:

Just now, Redstreak said:

I'm on call so I had to do my margaritas last weekend

Not the prophetic call out :eli:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Yes it's my birthday.  And I am Latino.  My family and I are actually celebrating by going to a festival.

Edited by Happylittlepunk
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yes. On my way taco bell as we speak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Ay pues pues no soy Mexicano pero me encantan las Mangonadas así que si pero no 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yall (gringos) are so annoying

• Haha 4

there's May 1 In Italy instead :giraffe:

• Like 1

No, ¡but viva Puebla! :gaycat1:

• Like 1

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

Nah none of the latinos I know irl celebrate it like that. I feel like I only ever see gringos celebrating, using the holiday as an excuse to drink

Well to be fair, May 5th is also the day when the Netherlands were liberated by Nazi Germany (and thus a national holiday), yet Dutch people use it as an excuse to get absolutely hammered :rip: there are techno festivals happening too 

• Like 1

Yes. On my way to Chipotle as we speak.

• Like 1

I was gonna get tacos but the line was crazy so i just got my fav tequila and some mcdonald's lmao. I don't "celebrate" bc I gathered that mexicans don't really celebrate so I don't want to hijack their holiday but I do use it as an excuse to drink if I feel like it lmfaooo 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BLΔCKP!NK said:

I was gonna get tacos but the line was crazy so i just got my fav tequila and some mcdonald's lmao. I don't "celebrate" bc I gathered that mexicans don't really celebrate so I don't want to hijack their holiday but I do use it as an excuse to drink if I feel like it lmfaooo 

mcdonalds and tequila, yikes 

• Haha 3

Yes. On my way to Moho as we speak.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bhabylon said:

Nah none of the latinos

You mean Mexicans. :giraffe:

On May 5, 1862, the Mexican army defeated the French in the Battle of Puebla. This prevented French Emperor Napoleon III from supplying weapons to the Confederacy during the Civil War. Napoleon III had planned to trade weapons for cotton with the Confederate states during France's invasion of Mexico.

This is why Americans celebrate 5 de Mayo. 

I wouldn't use the word "celebrate," but I observed it by going out for Mexican takeout today. I generally do every other month, as it is, but all of the talk of Cinco de Mayo had me wanting it today, however.

There's never anything wrong with genuinely and respectfully observing or celebrating a culture. People are learning that it's not necessarily a Mexican holiday, at this point, but will still observe it all the same. And I live in a region where people will look for any excuse to get together and have a good time.

Posted (edited)

No soy mexicana (Soy niña colombiana) pero dejame me compro un burrito bien carnudito y enchiladas quesuditas para celebrar :gaycat4: 
Una aguita de esas de mexicali :gayriahcat1:
Y me pongo esta de Thalia wey.

El que me rompe el coco :gaycat5:   

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.