Megathread: Drake vs Kendrick in a War of Diss Tracks

Devin

20 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

The way I don't wanna believe that insider tea is true, but it's not far fetched at all. 

For a lot of us, it's entertainment and just saw a Billboard article racking up how much both tracks will gross (north of $200 mill). So there's also monetary benefit for all involved. Including the labels. 

But it's equally easy to see how a corporation like UMG and Drake's sponsors like Nike etc may not take to the type of allegations thrown his way. Especially in this climate. Additionally, Drake may be on the industry's biggest deal yet. It's literally in UMG's best interest to keep him "a thing" otherwise there's major financial losses ahead. Kendrick, who is hands down the winner here, won't make them back what an optimzed Drake will, so it figures why they are allegedly intervening. 

At the same time, it's Hip-Hop. The very idea that there are allegedly intervening forces advocating for Kendrick to take his foot off Drake's neck or walk back certain comments is arguably more detrimental to Drake's rep than anything said in the songs. 

Honestly, it's hard to imagine the outcome of this

If Kendrick manages to stand his ground it could be ground breaking, I can't come with other examples of a music genre/culture out right rejecting greedy label monetization in this manner. This could be new territory.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Virgos Groove

• Devin

• REDMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Double post :giraffe:

Edited by Gesamtkunstwerk

If Kendrick stands his ground, it'll be interesting to see the outcome. Usually, when an artist is blacklisted, they're either an up-and-comer or a fading star. Kendrick is the most talked-about artist rn and is about to score 4 top-10s in Hot 100 in the same week. Hell, people are even revisiting Mr. Morale after Drake's Mother I Sober fuckup. It's harder than ever to bring him down.

Just now, Virgos Groove said:

If Kendrick stands his ground, it'll be interesting to see the outcome. Usually, when an artist is blacklisted, they're either an up-and-comer or a fading star. Kendrick is the most talked-about artist rn and is about to score 4 top-10s in Hot 100 in the same week. Hell, people are even revisiting Mr. Morale after Drake's Mother I Sober fuckup. It's harder than ever to bring him down.

Imagine the internet outrage and conspiracies if Kendrick got black listed :skull:

Nah, we're def getting more from Kendrick if Drake is going to drop again.

Akademiks has no line to Kendrick so who else would it be 

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

I don't think it'd work. In the era of streaming and the fact he's an independent artist now he doesn't even need the industry. They might damage his radio play but thats it. We will still be streaming/buying and there will always be folks wanting to work with him. The people, the culture chose him. 

• Like 7

• Like 1

Can't believe Kendrick is about to have 4 top 10s with nothing but RAP songs and NO new album out or Music Video! :deadbanana2:

INSAANNEE!!!

You know what? Let Kendrick apologize. It's not his character at ALLL, and the public will know this apology is coerced. Plain as day. 

That may actually make even more people turn against Drake, if that's even possible. The people ride with Kendrick, and there's no destroying that UNLESS you show some big skeletons in his closet. But then he's gonna do yours :michael:

Besides, the optics of losing a rap battle so hard that your label had to coerce a take-backsies is awful, and Aubrey would know it too (although at this point I guess the label is going above him). 

If his label wants this to go away, just sit still for a month or two, regardless of what Kendrick does or say. Drake will be fine, maybe they can release that CaCa song mess and try to move past this. 

• Haha 1

An apology is unwarranted and won't change anything. The only way this works for the label is to have Kendrick ghost write for Drake.

Call the album "The Best of Both Worlds".

:flame:

• Like 1

oh he had the tea

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cuteboyzay said:

Can't believe Kendrick is about to have 4 top 10s with nothing but RAP songs and NO new album out or Music Video! :deadbanana2:

INSAANNEE!!!

And they're real Rap songs. With BARS. Flow switches, rappity rap. Not background noise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wicked said:

And they're real Rap songs. With BARS. Flow switches, rappity rap. Not background noise.

Literally aaall of this. It's just further proof and gives Kendrick more validity in why he was right. Watching Meg manage to do what she did with HISS and then THIS happening. It's honestly amazing.

• Like 2

• Haha 1

Also, I hope to God Kendrick does not apologize. There's no reason or need to. This sounds like YT people tryna handle black people's business :ahh:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cuteboyzay said:

Also, I hope to God Kendrick does not apologize. There's no reason or need to. This sounds like YT people tryna handle black people's business :ahh:

!!! 

He won't do it unless they really threaten him with something major and even in that case, people would know what's up. 

I just know that white ass executive board is replaying J Cole apology clips and wondering how to AI Kenny's face on to it 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Specter said:

!!! 

He won't do it unless they really threaten him with something major and even in that case, people would know what's up. 

I just know that white ass executive board is replaying J Cole apology clips and wondering how to AI Kenny's face on to it 

Yes to this! But what on Earth could they even possibly do to make THAT big of a threat to make him apologize :deadbanana2:

Kendrick is very smart, and it sounds like he's been sitting on these tracks for awhile. He wouldn't have released it if he knew they could pull something over him to make him take back what he said imo.

It's been quiet today. Do y'all think post-nut clarity hit them?

:suburban:

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Riverbank said:

It's been quiet today. Do y'all think post-nut clarity hit them?

:suburban:

Drake is going to drop another track. It's going to get worse.

Edited by Wicked

The stark contrast in this beef thread and me getting lashed in the Radical Optimism thread  for saying Dua should shade Miley for quick promo is a kii

• Haha 5

Both headed to radio :coffee: we cooking him up this summer (if they don't pull it)

• Like 3

She is a good source, it might be coming!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 99sandthe2000s said:

Both headed to radio :coffee: we cooking him up this summer (if they don't pull it)

It really is SO sweet that Kendrick not only out-rapped Drake (no surprise), but also managed to out-hit THEE hit maker Drake. 

Beating him at his own game :ahh: Not Like Us is about to be one of the biggest rap songs in awhile, and Like That was already huge 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Apparently Kendrick's new track was to be released today but was pulled because of the "shooting" at Drake''s house.

I think the appropriate thing is to wait until the victim comes out of surgery and vital signs are stabilized. It's been reported that there was massive damage to critical organs.

After that they will probably check on the dude who got shot and make sure he is alright too.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.