Megathread: Drake vs Kendrick in a War of Diss Tracks

Devin

Just now, Burn said:

I had a feeling Abel wouldn't take kindly to the lyric "Weeknd music getting played in all the spots where boys got a little more pride".

Is that supposed to insinuate that Weeknd is only worshipped by gay men :deadbanana4:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Virgos Groove

• Devin

• REDMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Weeknd and Drake camp's are at war

2 minutes ago, MusicLoverDude said:

Is that supposed to insinuate that Weeknd is only worshipped by gay men :deadbanana4:

Yeah 

3 minutes ago, Burn said:

I had a feeling Abel wouldn't take kindly to the lyric "Weeknd music getting played in all the spots where boys got a little more pride".

I feel like he might be more mad about the line that came after. :gaycat3:

3 minutes ago, MusicLoverDude said:

Yes.  It's not correct tho since Abel has tons of appeal from basically all demo groups. It is kinda true tho that he's probably most gay men's fav male artist right now…

nicki.png

Posted (edited)

Drake is just mad the gays didn't stan Honestly Nevermind. Jealousy in the air tonight, I can tell...

:clack:

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Haha 7

Kendrick v. Drake >>>> Nas v. Jay Z :michael:

Maybe an unpopular opinion lol.

But this is definitely one of the biggest moments in hip hop ever! One of the greatest emcees ever versus one of the biggest commercial acts ever (literally second only to Taylor Swift). 

Kendrick kinda reclaimed hip hop for the culture in a way. Not saying Drake is that much of a vulture but people outside of hip hop often don't respect the ART of it. And just because you can come in and get the biggest commercial accolades doesn't make you the BEST!  That probably goes for other genres too but especially Hip Hop.

Also, is this the first time a producer has made a beat and let people drag their target? :rofl: This is a battle for ages but being in the internet/streaming era seems to make it feel so much bigger. But, looking at the aforementioned vandalism, well that's case in point. 

• Like 14

Do not hurt my baby Abel, literally the only pop boy making great music still

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

But this is definitely one of the biggest moments in hip hop ever! One of the greatest emcees ever versus one of the biggest commercial acts ever (literally second only to Taylor Swift). 

Kendrick kinda reclaimed hip hop for the culture in a way. Not saying Drake is that much of a vulture but people outside of hip hop often don't respect the ART of it. And just because you can come in and get the biggest commercial accolades doesn't make you the BEST!  That probably goes for other genres too but especially Hip Hop.

Also, is this the first time a producer has made a beat and let people drag their target? :rofl: This is a battle for ages but being in the internet/streaming era seems to make it feel so much bigger. But, looking at the aforementioned vandalism, well that's case in point. 

I lived through the Biggie Vs. PAC beef and I'm with you. The difference is that things moved a bit more slowly back then. No internet downloads or streaming so everything was done through the radio. It took a long time (relatively) for the response to come and also penetrate the public.

Just alone Drake released Family Matters only for Kendrick to stun everyone by releasing "Meet The Grahams" 30 minutes later. Like that was only possible in this generation.

And generally like you said the biggest commercial rapper vs the most acclaimed rapper. To me, this is the biggest and best.

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

Really interesting take and I think I pretty much agree with it all!

Not the biggest Hip-Hop head, but I know the players, know all the preceding context, and definitely gage the stakes. 

Kendrick's back-to-back-to-back(!) angle will for sure make this go down in history as one of the greatest spars and it's undoubtedly the biggest dent in Drake's armor to date. 

When it comes to the Nas/Jay-Z comparison, I'm almost inclined to agree until I remember the era we are in. The internet has definitely made this a huge/global/everyone invested simultaneously thing. But...the internet era is also hella fickle and people move on very very quickly. Attention spans are in the toilet. Hell, come Kendrick's 2nd or 3rd track, there were even people in this thread moaning and wanting to fast forward to the outcome/new normal. Granted they probably aren't the target demo, they do represent the time we live in. Very much a "that was cool, what's the next thing we're talking about?" tea.

I say all of that to say, given how quickly the timeline moves on, it will be interesting to see the longterm resonance of this showdown moving forward. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Virgos Groove said:

Drake is just mad the gays didn't stan Honestly Nevermind. Jealousy in the air tonight, I can tell...

:clack:

probably a little more that Heated (a co-write that i'm doubtful he put that much effort into) became a bigger club hit than anything off his actual club album.

"Only the radio can play me" is such an Aubrey line.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mtjjproducer said:

Drake Kendrick said yo mamas a hoe. Now go record so more tracks to stop camilas release :lmao:

Not the camila strays :khalyan:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

apparently UMG are trying to force Kendrick to apologise

screenshot in case tweet doesn't load:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Burn

#Kendrick 💪💯💯

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Burn said:

Hide contents

spacer.png

They are pathetic :doc:

1 hour ago, Burn said:

Hide contents

spacer.png

I hope he doesn't budge or if he does I hope he don't walk back what he said. That doesn't seem like Kendricks character. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I hope he doesn't budge or if he does I hope he don't walk back what he said. That doesn't seem like Kendricks character. 

As much of a hypocritical messiah he's been playing in this entire beef (and in general, to an extent), I at least hope he doubles down and doesn't apologise 

• Confused 1

The way I don't wanna believe that insider tea is true, but it's not far fetched at all. 

For a lot of us, it's entertainment and just saw a Billboard article racking up how much both tracks will gross (north of $200 mill). So there's also monetary benefit for all involved. Including the labels. 

But it's equally easy to see how a corporation like UMG and Drake's sponsors like Nike etc may not take to the type of allegations thrown his way. Especially in this climate. Additionally, Drake may be on the industry's biggest deal yet. It's literally in UMG's best interest to keep him "a thing" otherwise there's major financial losses ahead. Kendrick, who is hands down the winner here, won't make them back what an optimzed Drake will, so it figures why they are allegedly intervening. 

At the same time, it's Hip-Hop. The very idea that there are allegedly intervening forces advocating for Kendrick to take his foot off Drake's neck or walk back certain comments is arguably more detrimental to Drake's rep than anything said in the songs. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

At the same time, it's Hip-Hop. The very idea that there are allegedly intervening forces advocating for Kendrick to take his foot off Drake's neck or walk back certain comments is arguably more detrimental to Drake's rep than anything said in the songs. 

Further cements he's a Pop star and a cancer to the culture. 

• Like 2

I would like to reiterate that Abel is responsible for what is by far Drake's best and most iconic album and I wish more people would wake that tea up!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

The way I don't wanna believe that insider tea is true, but it's not far fetched at all. 

For a lot of us, it's entertainment and just saw a Billboard article racking up how much both tracks will gross (north of $200 mill). So there's also monetary benefit for all involved. Including the labels. 

But it's equally easy to see how a corporation like UMG and Drake's sponsors like Nike etc may not take to the type of allegations thrown his way. Especially in this climate. Additionally, Drake may be on the industry's biggest deal yet. It's literally in UMG's best interest to keep him "a thing" otherwise there's major financial losses ahead. Kendrick, who is hands down the winner here, won't make them back what an optimzed Drake will, so it figures why they are allegedly intervening. 

Not only that, but this beef is turning Drake's Toronto parties into a "topic" (it's been bubbling up for years). We haven't heard actual cases (yet), but lots of people are speaking out about how it was an open secret that something was hapenning. If this keeps going, it's only a matter of time before a reporter picks up on the story and does actual investigative journalism. If they find something, it's over for Drake.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I would like to reiterate that Abel is responsible for what is by far Drake's best and most iconic album and I wish more people would wake that tea up!

Ehh... he did 5 out of 20 songs. I love Abel's contributions, but 40 had far more to do with building up Drake's hazy sound.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Ehh... he did 5 out of 20 songs. I love Abel's contributions, but 40 had far more to do with building up Drake's hazy sound.

Oh for sure I'm not claiming that Abel was solely responsible for Take Care, just that I see little Drizzies running around Twitter after the shootings claiming that Drake made Abel when all he really did was leech onto talent that was already there. Meanwhile, Abel contributed to the album that really solidified Drake's career, not so much the other way around. 

• Like 2

The pride line in Drake's song is just disappointing. He couldn't help himself huh. He can join DaBaby in the blocked homophobes department of my Spotify. It's not like anything of value from the last 5 years is being lost.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.