Do you agree with this 6.6% viral think-piece on music reviews?

mercurialworld

Posted (edited)

Edited by mercurialworld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I agree as long as you're consistent with this attitude

:ryan3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with this 0.129% viral think piece instead :gaycat3:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No. I don't like the implication that the purpose of critic reviews is to define how the rest of us should feel about the music when that's never been the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think people understand reviews.

Metacritic and RottenTomatoes make people focus too much on general consensus. 

Instead of caring about all that, find a critic whose opinion you value and keep up with their reviews. Doing that one can consume more media that they might have missed or thought wouldn't be for them (and yeah, a bad review could be a contributing factor to deciding to skip something.)

• Thanks 3

Nobody is telling anyone how they should feel and nobody is forcing you to read any review. It's not that you waited years for your fave to release music and someone's opinion will ruin your experience, it's that you wanted to see a better review than some other artist to participate in a stan war that now you can't win. :zzz:

• Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

braindead?

I mean, I do think there's something to be said about how in fandom spaces, we allow critics and reviews to drive discourse in a very weird way even if that's not the intent behind reviews. We collectively take these things far too seriously, and where a critic can see a piece of art fall entirely flat, someone else can have a profound experience - and vice versa!

• Like 2

People turning on reviews (that they used to brag about) as soon as their faves releases a dud.

This is why I love stanning Bey. She will never embarrass me like this or have me acting like a flip flop *****

• Like 1

I think a review can Give you a different pov of an Album you don't really Like at First, but you should Care more about your own thoughts. 

The person is right and I have never understood why people make such a drama here. These "experts" are just normal people, mostly heterosexual men who can't relate to the music anyway. Just because someone thinks an album is bad doesn't make it a universal truth. If I think something is good, I think it's good. That's all I'm interested in. I've never read an album review in my entire life.

No one is 'defining' anything. They're just telling you their opinion.

Girl, if you're giving your life to a criticism, maybe the problem lies within you.

Music criticism has its place, but if it's an album I've been anticipating, I'll listen to it regardless of what score it has. It's a little embarrassing when my fav releases a panned album but at the end of the day all I really care about is my enjoyment of the music!

y'all never would have survived the pre-poptimism era when critics would pick one popular female artist they were "allowed" to praise and panned the rest with wildly-misogynistic and off-topic reviews.

now pop stans cry about mildly positive (and fair) reviews focusing on the actual music.

• Like 1

Music journalism in Stan community is just a tool to bring down the artists you hate if they recieved bad score or lift your favs up if their score is huge. No one actually cares about the reviews, it's all about circle jerking

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Music criticism is more about narrative than quality these days. It's cool when my faves receive good scores, but journalists don't affect their career and legacy either way.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruel Summer said:

I mean, I do think there's something to be said about how in fandom spaces, we allow critics and reviews to drive discourse in a very weird way even if that's not the intent behind reviews. We collectively take these things far too seriously, and where a critic can see a piece of art fall entirely flat, someone else can have a profound experience - and vice versa!

I honestly don't think stans take critics that seriously. Every time someone releases, it's just a kii for a week, then we move on to the next. 
Also generally stans and critics align more than we think. Taylor and Dua deserve their lashings. Stans were even harsher.
We've also seen countless times, critics over praise some albums just for stans to pay them dust. There are also many many albums that are panned that stans love and never stopped supporting. 

I truly can't understand how someone's thoughts on an album could change based off a negative critic review? Like ok? They didn't like the album? So? What part of that is stopping you from continuing to listen to it and enjoy it? Like literally just ignore the critics :rip: 

30 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Okay, and how much critical analysis, evaluation, and deeper engagement are any of these critics actually doing when they all pump out their reviews within a day of the album's release?

To say nothing of the fact that we know half of them basically pre-write their reviews based upon a pre-determined narrative and then just fill in the blanks with a few cherry-picked bits. 

rihanna-anti.jpg

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dancehall Queen said:

I don't think people understand reviews.

Metacritic and RottenTomatoes make people focus too much on general consensus. 

Instead of caring about all that, find a critic whose opinion you value and keep up with their reviews. Doing that one can consume more media that they might have missed or thought wouldn't be for them (and yeah, a bad review could be a contributing factor to deciding to skip something.)

Yeah, I agree. The only critics I ever paid any attention to were thesinglesjukebox because it assembled a bunch of divergent opinions on a song in one place and emphasized their writing over the score. I found so many great songs through them over the years. Miss them terribly. :chick3:

• Like 1

No, cause the reviewer is only saying their opinion, not telling me how I should feel.  :cm:

• Like 1

I think also people need to realize what a 6 and 7 are. They aren't "panned" scores. It's not like getting a 60 or 70 on a test. :rip: Mid 60s is still mildly favorable.

• Like 1

I never feel compelled to read music reviews, unless I'm trying to find out what the overall sound of an album is I've never listened to from an artist I'm unfamiliar with. Aside from that very specific scenario, they're pointless to me—especially with all of the biases involved. I'd rather just listen to a release, myself, and form an opinion for myself.

I find a place for reviews once I've heard something and know what I think about it already, where they can make me focus on different aspects of something I might have missed or go deeper on something I'd already thought about. if it's someone I've never heard of, a good review might make me give something a go. I'm absolutely not interested in the narratives that build around records because of reviews tho and I'm not going to read someone slating a record I really like, there are enough bad opinions out on the internet without me going looking for them 

One of the things I noticed when p4k got gutted was all these handwringing thinkpieces about "p4k was great because they told me all the record that I liked were bad" and I just thought, why do you care what they think? So much reviewing culture comes from this supposedly high minded and "tasteful" place and there is a place for looking at music like that, but I often feel like they can't enjoy something unless they can fit it into some sort of cultural framework and I'd rather just be able to appreciate something on its own terms, you can sometimes be blind to a record's qualities if you think too hard about it.

in truth, I'm never really comfortable with a pitchfork score unless it's 6.5 or lower cos that's where they grade all my favourite albums so dua's batting a little bit high there anyway, she needs to make the indie bros a bit less comfortable smdh 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.