Is Sarah Michelle Gellar still relevant?

playwithme

One could argue that her career has been dead since at least the mid 00s, but I was kind of shocked to find out that r/buffy has 130K subscribers, and this show is still big with Gen Z. Is Buffy still keeping her afloat?   

Buffy is one of the most popular coming of age shows on Hulu and Disney+ she will always be legendary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Buffy is the type of show that will keep their lead actress famous FOREVER.

An iconic staple on television history!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF by Pop TV

Edited by scottstreet
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

In our hearts :heart2:

Buffy had another renaissance in 2020. A lot of Gen z started watching it.

Posted (edited)

Yes she also has classic movies like Cruel Intentions and I Know What You Did last summer. 

Edited by Into The Void
  • Like 3

yes, but tbh she needs a great vehicle back, Wolf Pack actually was almost her new breakthrough but P+ getting sold and the writers strike killed it for good

onto the next project miss Gellar, she's looking better than ever

does she need to stay relevant ? she already has the legendary Buffy in her career

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottstreet said:

Buffy is the type of show that will keep their lead actress famous FOREVER.

An iconic staple on television history!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF by Pop TV

Whack the OP again for me! Scooby Doo remains iconic as well.

200.gif?cid=a595bef3j0nh9lbweqmvrutk2pud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Does she even want a comeback like that? Us gays never seem to understand some of our faves enjoy being retired soccer moms 

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

Does she even want a comeback like that? Us gays never seem to understand some of our faves enjoy being retired soccer moms 

She stopped trying when she decided to cancel Ringer when The CW was willing to renew it for a season 2

• Like 1

She's one of those people with such iconic roles they'll always be famous. Sure she may not be in big roles today. But her legacy keeps her secure. 

Considering there hasn't been a vampire TV show as good as Buffy nor will there ever will be, this show will live on forever.

yes, the gays talk about her all the time

Was Buffy A Vampire Slayer

On 5/2/2024 at 10:19 PM, Buffy said:

Considering there hasn't been a vampire TV show as good as Buffy nor will there ever will be, this show will live on forever.

Fixed :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buffy is one of the greatest pieces of media to ever exist. If Buffy has a million fans, then I'm one of them. If Buffy has ten fans, then I'm one of them. If Buffy has one fan, than I'm that one fan. If Buffy has no fans, that means I am dead. Till my last breath I will support Buffy.

• Like 3

I don't understand why she hasn't been able to launch any sort of comeback. Buffy will always keep her somewhat relevant. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

I don't understand why she hasn't been able to launch any sort of comeback. Buffy will always keep her somewhat relevant. 

Her and her husband prioritize their children. I remember her saying they take turns — only one of them gets to act while the other stays at home being a parent. As the years went by, the acting method changed in the industry. The 1920s to early 2000's used more theatrical acting. Buffy was very theatrical with the over-exaggerated acting and slapstick comedy, hence why Buffy always throw puns after she throws down vampires. By the 2010s, the acting style changed to "film acting" — a more serious approach to emoting and dialogue. Take Vampire Diaries for instance, completely a different acting shift from Buffy, Charmed, Dawson's Creek, Smallville, etc. I'm not exactly sure the terminology but TV changed a lot and many actors such as SMG come back looking awkward in front of the camera because they're totally out of practice — not only that but SMG herself has lost her ability to act which is really quite noticeable. Hate to say it. If you don't use your craft daily, your engine doesn't run as good as it used to. My friends say the same thing about SMG. We just can't get into anything new she's done. 

Edited by Buffy
  • Like 2

She'll always be relevant to me, too many iconic roles under her belt for her to not be!

'Buffy' remains one of the best tv shows that made television history along with her performance and the rest of the cast, that will forever make her remembered and not forgotten.

Clearly she's not between the most popular actors currently, but I still hope that she can eventually have a comeback with the right project.

10 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

I don't understand why she hasn't been able to launch any sort of comeback.

A mix of bad luck and choosing the wrong projects, not to mention when you start to collect some flops and becoming less relevant in the eyes of the industry you also start to get less interesting roles and offers.

I still think a comeback for her might eventually happen, look at Brendan Fraser, it's never too late and she still is young.

• Like 1

She will always be relevant 

not just bcos of Buffy but she had countless of iconic movies like IKWYDLS, Cruel Intentions, Scooby Doo, The Grudge etc

• Like 1

I think she has done enough to still be talked about. Buffy and Cruel Intentions is always talked about on TikTok. Her roles in IKWYDLS and Scream are some of the best scenes, the chase scenes always mentioned. I do find it odd how her career went though. How did she not land some more horror movies, The Grudge was big. I think there is some behind the scenes thing against her and her agent is rubbish. 

7 hours ago, Buffy said:

Her and her husband prioritize their children. I remember her saying they take turns — only one of them gets to act while the other stays at home being a parent. As the years went by, the acting method changed in the industry. The 1920s to early 2000's used more theatrical acting. Buffy was very theatrical with the over-exaggerated acting and slapstick comedy, hence why Buffy always throw puns after she throws down vampires. By the 2010s, the acting style changed to "film acting" — a more serious approach to emoting and dialogue. Take Vampire Diaries for instance, completely a different acting shift from Buffy, Charmed, Dawson's Creek, Smallville, etc. I'm not exactly sure the terminology but TV changed a lot and many actors such as SMG come back looking awkward in front of the camera because they're totally out of practice — not only that but SMG herself has lost her ability to act which is really quite noticeable. Hate to say it. If you don't use your craft daily, your engine doesn't run as good as it used to. My friends say the same thing about SMG. We just can't get into anything new she's done. 

I understand that she prioritized being a mom, but even when she did branch out her shows didn't last more than one season. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.