Is Taylor really a worse capitalist than her peers?

PoisonPill

Posted (edited)

A frequent topic on ATRL and the internet is Taylor's extreme capitalism and insatiable greed, supposedly evidenced by her deluge of music releases and variants.

However, Taylor is the only person in history to become a self-made billionaire solely from music and songwriting. She has kept her career focused on her artistic output, and declined to follow the lead of her pop music peers who sold their names and faces for beauty brands, product endorsements, partnerships with morally questionable companies, and other cash grabs. 

Do you think the "capitalist" narrative against Taylor is fair and justified? Why do you think her pop girl peers avoid such intense criticism?

story.jpegRIHANNA+VITA+COCO.jpg

278776093_10158576026137233_8039098906355652084_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=pC_erjyoFcEQ7kNvgE7lQlS&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBv_Hnald_HERuEPQX4bQHSPSIc40GgJs486-n53NAOIA&oe=66379B06

GettyImages-2028108979.jpg

71IgxAVE-2L.jpgGagaNurtec.png?VersionId=cwyg0Jn2mTpeTk2ryh7nuIZjP2joM2qw

mariah-black-irish-summer-promo.jpg?w=900

d2k6e9k-247d7fbf-671e-4609-b87b-abd3ddaaimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRggyYpS-WnzUY3d9jCFmi

MS231435.jpg568537?width=1200&crop=4_3&signature=RiwMvhjSjoDFwQnETJp6-ia8o5I=

1025-great8.png

Edited by PoisonPill
  • Like 4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonPill

• Prodigal Self

• Jay07

• Frappucino

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I clown her I like to delude myself into thinking she's a nice gal and it's HER STANS that perpetuate this stereotype. :sadviolin:

Do you mean "worst" or "most money hungry"?

because she's definitely the most money hungry

however, one of the women mentioned here lends her name, platform and relevancy to a brand that enslaves and exploits poor women in South Asia, so I think that woman is definitely the worst of them all. A true capitalist. 

4 minutes ago, By the Water said:

All the girls are capitalists and chase whatever makes them the most money. ATRL's bitterness comes from the fact that Taylor makes her money from music while their faves ignore their music career since it's not as profitable as their side ventures

And boys

U can't be in this business and not be a capitalist lol

Yes, of course. 

every music artist dives into a new venture as another source of income. esp when they move out of the commercial market.

taylors music still attracts kids so its lucrative for her to continue in music. i wouldnt be surprised if she eventually capitalize and drops kids books, nursery rhyme soundtracks, etc.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 4

18 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

Why do you think her pop girl peers avoid such intense criticism?

But Rih and Gaga have been criticized as greedy capitalist figures and faced backlash for their business ventures and brand partnerships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

off topic: rih and bey brands are smart bc their products is beneficial in the black-poc community. 

mariah & gaga are very active abt they brands and successful given its something they passionate about. taylor doing the same just with her music.

• Haha 2

Gaga selling headache medicine is still so insane :deadbanana: 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Marry The Gods said:

But Rih and Gaga have been criticized as greedy capitalist figures and faced backlash for their business ventures and brand partnerships. 

Key words "why do they avoid such intense criticismas Taylor receives?

• ATRL Moderator

They're all greedy capitalists. It's silly to pretend otherwise. Taylor is unique in that her greed goes into her music (and affiliated merch). But, greed is greed. We shouldn't be giving any of them a pat on the back for it.

Taylor gets the amount of criticism she gets on ATRL because she's the "it" girl. ATRL loves to tear women apart. Let's not forget the hell this site sent Lorde's way after her modest (albeit lacking) third album came out. It didn't matter how niche she is nowadays, the girls still went for blood because they love dunking on any female artist they can.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

rihannafan

No, she, Rihanna, Gaga and Beyonce are all the same 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Devin said:

off topic: rih and bey brands are smart bc their products is beneficial in the black-poc community. 

mariah & gaga are very active abt they brands and successful given its something they passionate about. taylor doing the same just with her music.

How is Rihanna selling tighty whities beneficial for the black community?

Edited by Josh

Obviously no. All of them are terrible and would set their stans on fire for profits. But at least the other girls get to hide behind their brands, Taylor just pops up and says buy my album 4 times to make a ******* CLOCK. It's a good strategy to maximize album sales, yes. It's also embarrassing and she doesn't even need it. But hey, let's just sell as much **** as possible cause, y'know, MONEY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bloo said:

They're all greedy capitalists. It's silly to pretend otherwise. Taylor is unique in that her greed goes into her music (and affiliated merch). But, greed is greed. We shouldn't be giving any of them a pat on the back for it.

True. I imagine the other girls would be just as "greedy" with their musical output if they were able to generate anything close to returns that Taylor does with hers. Instead they need to enrich themselves with makeup, shoes, liquors and medications from big pharma.

Edited by PoisonPill

Posted (edited)

I'm assuming you're not black or that you're not active on twitter because I can definitely say that Beyonce is heavily criticized for her capitalism. It was even worse around 2020, you would see a think piece on twitter about it every few days I promise :rip: Just google everything noname was saying about her at that time for instance (as well as other brutal critiques at that time - haters will having a field day with The Gift/BIK and capitalism was just one of the many complaints). It's let up just a teeny tiny bit but not completely. She still gets criticized all the time for being an "evil greedy capitalist."

One thing that I have seen Taylor almost solely blamed for though is her private plane usage and yeah idk why they only call her out since most A-list celebs that travel frequently are guilty of the same thing.

Edited by KingBeyonce.
typo
  • Like 6

• Like 1

No they all are pigs but what's particularly known about her is her eco-terrorism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, KingBeyonce. said:

I'm assuming you're not black or that you're not active on twitter because I can definitely say that Beyonce is heavily criticized for her capitalism. It was even worse around 2020, you would see a think piece on twitter about it every few days I promise :rip: Just google everything noname was saying about her at that time for instance (as well as other brutal critiques at that time - haters will having a field day with The Gift/BIK and capitalism was just one of the many complaints). It's let up just a teeny tiny bit but not completely. She still gets criticized all the time for being an "evil greedy capitalist."

One thing that I have seen Taylor almost solely blamed for though is her private plane usage and yeah idk why they only call her out since most A-list celebs that travel frequently are guilty of the same thing.

Yeah.....I vividly remember people attacking Beyonce as a capitalist and claiming that she and Jay-Z sold their souls for money and profit. Also, Beyonce received backlash for performing Renaissance in Dubai. 

Taylor's just so big that her controversies are overshadowing a lot of other MPG's controversies. 

They're all equally capitalists and all have been criticised but Taylor gets the most heat because she's hugely popular. The bigger you are the more hate you get.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, By the Water said:

All the girls are capitalists and chase whatever makes them the most money. ATRL's bitterness comes from the fact that Taylor makes her money from music while their faves ignore their music career since it's not as profitable as their side ventures

And here it is 

Posted (edited)

Happy for Taylor being the first billionaire from music, but the way you tried to villainise the other pop girls for venturing out of music and downplaying their business achievements by implying they sold their names for cash grab is not cool. 

Many men in music have always been celebrated for being jack of all trades. The likes of Jay z, Kanye West , Diddy, Dr Dre are/were admired by the society  because of how they are able to build an empire outside of music. Same thing as the likes of Elon, Mark, and other billionaires with multiple companies under their name.

It is really nice to see the pop girls that continue to push the boundaries too, showing that women can also be successful at many things at the same time. 

Edited by chaklux
  • Thanks 3

Lady pharma is still the worst to me tbh.

• Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.