Examples of Artists who aren't seen as "real artists" by the GP but have better music

Josh

What are some examples of artists who were never seen as "real artists" by the GP but they have better music than the real artists the GP respect

Doja pre-Say So/Planet Her. A lot of people saw her as a meme rapper because of Moo! and many thought that she got luckily with Say So.

selena gomez until rare

• Like 1

great another thread for people to complain about artists they dislike so fun

Prime example: Shakira

Often simply seen as the "lolelolelole" (though I adore Whenever, Wherever) and belly dancing "hips" girl from South America when in actuality she is more than just her dancing skills and catchy songs. She has very eclectic albums with great songwriting as well as great performing skills.

Also Britney of course with her strong catalogue, though I feel like Britney's work has got somewhat of a reappraisal in recent years which is great.

Honestly this applies to a lot of our pop girls in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dua before New Rules

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Punky Rooster said:

La Toya Jackson > Lana Del Rey 

AOTY user score:

Lana del Rey: 79 (based on 41.935 ratings)

La Toya: 78 (based on 2 ratings)

:toofunny2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, holyground13 said:

Prime example: Shakira

Often simply seen as the "lolelolelole" (though I adore Whenever, Wherever) and belly dancing "hips" girl from South America when in actuality she is more than just her dancing skills and catchy songs. She has very eclectic albums with great songwriting as well as great performing skills.

Also Britney of course with her strong catalogue, though I feel like Britney's work has got somewhat of a reappraisal in recent years which is great.

Honestly this applies to a lot of our pop girls in general.

shakira is seen as a big creative mind in south america tho, mostly because her pre-laundry service music is still so big here and she cultivated a more singer-songwriter persona during that era.

• Thanks 4

carly rae jepsen.

• Like 3

Carly Rae Jepsen. GP loves to remember her as the CMM girl but Emotion, Dedicated, TLT are better than some careers

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Raphy23 said:

carly rae jepsen.

You beat me :dies:

• Haha 1

Just now, Sadie Saxton said:

Carly Rae Jepsen. GP loves to remember her as the CMM girl but Emotion, Dedicated, TLT are better than some careers

Her label's decision making I Really Like You as the lead for Emotion didn't do her any favors they had so many other good songs to be a lead for that album

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Punky Rooster said:

La Toya Jackson > Lana Del Rey 

• Haha 5

Tinashe. I think most people in the stan world may see her as a "real" artist but I think the GP is sometimes surprised by how high quality her music, videos, and performances are.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

shakira is seen as a big creative mind in south america tho, mostly because her pre-laundry service music is still so big here and she cultivated a more singer-songwriter persona during that era.

That's a good point actually, thanks for adding it to my post. I didn't really consider that South American audiences would remember the Dónde era and understand her talent as a result. Sadly in Anglo speaking markets the view of her is a little more narrow from what I've experienced.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly, Seth MacFarlane. 

Hear me out. The man has a genuinely great singing voice and has even sang some of his own songs for his TV shows and some movie appearances. 

But Seth is pretty much only known as a voice actor despite having multiple albums. 

Edited by Storm653

most women in music. men have it so much easier with the GP than women

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aespa, red velvet, girls' generation :bird:

2 hours ago, Karla Cabello said:

I'm from south america too :heart:

• Like 1

Britney has one of the best pop discographies of all time. You can always find something new to appreciate in it. (I pretend Britney Jean doesn't exist btw)

• Like 4

Rihanna, most people know her for songs like Work, Rude Boy and Umbrella but she also has more to offer in her deep cuts too, songs like Fool In Love, P.S. I'm Still Not Over You, and Cold Case Love are some of the best songs ever 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.