More iconic: California Gurls vs. Firework

naval23

Which one?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the most iconic?

Which of these epic #1 smashes thst went top 5 year end in both 2010 and 2011 is more iconic?

One is the defining anthem of summer while the other is an iconic 4th of July banger.

Fireworks at the time was a juggernaut. That was inescapable. Idk what's bigger now tho cuz I know Cali girls gets played on radio a lot now. But I still think Fireworks is one of her signature songs

I never liked Cali Gurls, and I don't think it's played much. Firework has a sorta festive vibe that's fitting for any occasion

Can you strip down CG and still serve like she has with Fireworks? I think not

CG is still not at 800M?? Wow that's crazy to me, such an iconic song and video and not even the Sims payola could help it :jonny6:

plastic bag was a bigger hit, cg is more iconic

• Like 1

CG is more iconic. 

• Like 1

I still hear Firework being played at various venues and such. I can't say the same for California Gurls.

E.T. washed them both :clack:

OP: firework of course

8 minutes ago, TitanicSurvivor said:

E.T. washed them both :clack:

OP: firework of course

The one OG Teenage Dream single that's struggling to pass 500M streams 

Talent really loss and time was the ultimate truth teller 

Both MASSIVE hits and very recognizable in the music landscape.

But while Cali Gurls was the song of the summer and overall summer banger, Firework was much bigger and still is very iconic in terms of pop culture reference. It still gets 4th of July/New Year's Eve boosts to this day, and people from multiple generations know "do you ever like a plastic bag" more than anything from CG. 

1 hour ago, TheBoss said:

CG is still not at 800M?? Wow that's crazy to me, such an iconic song and video and not even the Sims payola could help it :jonny6:

It was age restricted for some time on youtube i think, and also her views started skyrocketing after the Firework video was released. Her singles before that were pretty slow to catch up.

the one that has good and timeless production, is a redux of Tik Tok but still a great pop song, and also references Big Star in its title :clap3:

the other one is so f*cking bad, and nowhere near iconic. 

I love "California Gurls" but "Firework" will forever be Katy's most recognizable song.

In terms of iconiqueness:

Cali Gurls mv > Firework < Cali Gurls

Firework is more iconic to the public, but I vastly prefer California Gurls. Firework is a bit trite, easily the worst TD single.

Also, the California Gurls music video gave us this legendary scene. Had the 14-year old me in awe.

music video GIF by Katy Perry

music video GIF by Katy Perry

CG aged better

Firework

Firework >>>

Maybe it's just me, but I've never cared about California Gurls at all. :rip:

CG obviously

it was a huge Moment when it was released

it's for the culture (I also remember the CG vs Empire State Of Mind comparisons because of East/West coast beef)

Firework only gets more boosts (and in the US more) because they celebrate 4th of July with it or whatever..

The summer anthem, California Gurls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.