Shaboozey & Beyoncé make history on country songs chart

Stepfon

Shaboozey's "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" bounds to No. 1 from No. 6 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart (dated May 4). The song, which interpolates J-Kwon's 2004 hip-hop classic "Tipsy," marks the first leader on the list for the Virginia native (born Collins Obinna Chibueze).

"A Bar Song (Tipsy)" surged by 95% to 20.9 million official U.S. streams; 1,202% to 170,000 radio airplay audience impressions; and 48% to 14,000 sold April 19-25, according to Luminate.

Notably, as Shaboozey dethrones Beyoncé's "Texas Hold 'Em," which reigned for the past 10 weeks, two Black artists have led back-to-back for the first time since Hot Country Songs became an all-encompassing genre ranking in 1958.

A week earlier, Shaboozey soared to No. 1, from No. 34, on the Emerging Artists chart and "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" topped Digital Song Sales and Country Digital Song Sales, marking his first coronations on Billboard's charts. He adds a second week atop Emerging Artists, while the track paces Country Digital Song Sales for a second frame.

• Like 8

Amazing achievement. Justice for Old Town Road being removed prematurely from the Country Songs chart. :clap3: 

• Like 2

She achieved what she wanted, the return of black artists to country charts.

Oh what a legend you are BKC.

• Like 10

As someone who is black and likes country music this makes me extremely happy. I hope this will open the door for even more Black Country artists to become mainstream. There's some great ones out there.

• Like 2

This is a huge deal and accomplishment. :clap3:

I wish ATRL was a bit more excited and celebrating it as well. Very proud of him and Beyoncé! :gayoncecat3:

• Like 1

This is very much the impact Hive talks about and gets mocked for. :clap3: So happy for Shaboozey.

• Like 3

Congrats. :clap3:

Beyoncé did that! 

Everything next to her really does light up :clap3:

:clap3:

Posted (edited)

I want "Sorrys Don't Work No More", "I Ain't A Cowgirl", and a "Buckle Bunny" remix with either B or Megan Thee Stallion to appear next, as well as K Michelle, Blanco Brown, Reyna Roberts, and Willie Jones' contributions. I can't wait for this wave to become a deluge.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.