What if Toxic had been the lead single for In The Zone like Britney wanted?

Josh

Britney wanted Toxic, Jive wanted Outrageous and then Britney decided on Me Against the Music. Where would ITZ be if Toxic had been the lead instead of MATM?

The album would've debuted with MUCH better numbers in Europe. Probably an extra 100k in the US too.

• Thanks 1

The album would have had better debuts and figures worldwide. And Everytime & Breathe On Me would have been the perfect 1-2 punch for the second & third singles. 

• Thanks 1

Toxic and everytime gave the album legs. MATM was the perfect lead single choice

Slightly higher debut numbers, but that's it.

Imagine pushing for Outrageous when u got a toxic in the vault 🙃

Not much would've changed, she probably would've debuted with 800k-900k 

Higher album debut numbers and probably a slightly higher Hot 100 peak. But it was a global smash and an all-time pop classic, so can't imagine much better outcome. 

• Like 3

No one cares it's already the most iconic song of the century

Def would've been top 5 on the hot 100

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

No one cares it's already the most iconic song of the century

You do apparently otherwise you wouldn't had commented in my thread

I never read anywhere that Britney wanted Toxic as first single. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it would have really changed anything regarding her chart position (#9) in the U.S. Maybe slightly higher, but nothing dramatic. Looking back, it's legit baffling that iconic singles like Oops!, Toxic, Hung Up, just to name a few weren't #1 hits considering how massive and impactful they were (and continue to be all these years later) 

Edited by 90skid9191
  • Like 1

iirc I don't think we ever heard that Britney wanted Toxic as the lead single, just that she definitely wanted it to be the second single but Jive didn't want it and they wanted to go with Outrageous or Boom Boom instead.

• Like 4

Bigger debut of album sales, but it's not like she missed out on anything since ITZ sold over 1 million copies in its first week globally if I'm not wrong. I do think the album's chart performance in the UK would've been drastically better. ITZ's #14 peak on the official chart is still so befuddling to me :rip:

• Like 1

I like MATM, i think it's the perfect intro for the era, maybe BOM second single and Toxic third? 

I actually think it would've helped the album a bit more. In Europe, France was the only place where it peaked at #1 and the rest of Europe were top 15 peaks.

Chart (2003–2004) Peak
position
Argentine Albums (CAPIF)[129] 1
Australian Albums (ARIA)[105] 10
Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[130] 10
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[131] 7
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[132] 5
Canadian Albums (Billboard)[133] 2
Czech Albums (ČNS IFPI)[134] 6
Danish Albums (Hitlisten)[135] 8
Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[136] 9
European Top 100 Albums (Billboard)[101] 3
Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)[137] 15
French Albums (SNEP)[100] 1
German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[138] 2
Greek Albums (IFPI)[139] 5
Hungarian Albums (MAHASZ)[140] 7
Icelandic Albums (Tónlist)[141] 8
Irish Albums (IRMA)[142] 4
Italian Albums (FIMI)[143] 16
Japanese Albums (Oricon)[144] 3
Malaysian International Albums (RIM)[145] 4
Mexican Albums (AMPROFON)[109] 1
New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[107] 25
Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)[146] 11
Polish Albums (ZPAV)[147] 23
Portuguese Albums (AFP)[148] 11
Scottish Albums (OCC)[149] 12
Singaporean Albums (RIAS)[150] 2
South Korean International Albums (RIAK)[151] 1
Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)[152] 14
Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)[153] 8
Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[154] 6
UK Albums (OCC)[98] 13
US Billboard 200[155] 1

Although not sure if that would've also affected the longevity on the album since Toxic & Everytime helped it to stay stable after MATM.

Edited by UnusualBoy
  • Like 1

Britney fought for MATM to be lead, that's why she asked Madonna to be in it, then fought for Toxic to be a single instead of I Got Your Boom Boom and Outrageous.

Had Toxic been the lead the album would've sold more initially, but I don't think the chart position (for the single) would've been better, in fact it was only during the Toxic run that radio started playing her again, although I'm not sure if it was due to demand. MATM came out after American Life, neither Britney or Madonna were being played on the radio.

• Thanks 2

She wanted MATM and Madonna for the lead, not Toxic.

MATM was a big European hit anyways so I don't the European placements would've been affected. It went number one on the European Hot 100 and reached the top 5 almost everywhere. Besides, ITZ peaked so low because it came out during a very competitive period. Its sales were quite solid regardless. Toxic being a bigger hit would not have been able to help it that much.

In the US, maybe the album would've had a bigger debut but unless they had gone for Breathe On Me as the second single in Toxic's place, the album would have lacked the legs it had.

Source? I've always understood Britney fought for MATM to be the lead and then fought for Toxic as the label insisted on Outrageous until they were able to make it the 4th single 

OT: it would've done similar to MATM as that single was the last one affected by the radio blacklist

Edited by dirrtydiana

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.