Do the new wave of Gen Z pop girls have the same work ethic as their predecessors?

judasmonster

Majority of the MPGs we argue about on this site daily have built long careers through hard work and putting themselves everywhere. 

Building their fanbase, creating a brand, and finding their sound for example. Do you think the new girls are putting in enough work to do the same or is their lack in doing this affecting their potential and longevity? Discuss  :gaycat2:

Gen z pop girls with recent hits that come to mind:

Madison Beer

Sabrina Carpenter

Olivia Rodrigo

Billi Eilish

Tate McCrae

Renee Rapp

Tyla

• Like 1

:skull: 

I mean still too early for most of them. Some of these artist didn't blow up till like this year. Give it 5 years and we'll see how thier longevity and work ethic becomes

They might not have the same level of commitment as Taylor Swift or k-pop artists, but it's a relief that they're not taking such long breaks anymore. Releasing music once a year doesn't seem like too much to ask, right?

I've yet to see an artist do as much promo for an album as Gaga during Born This Way era. She was EVERYWHERE promoting that god damn album, performing on every show, every talk show, the ***** was booked, booked, booked and those prosthetics and costumes were CONSTANTLY applied. She was busy as all hell!!!!! And then that huge ass tour. Queen's work ethic, no wonder she burned herself out and is now M.I.A. other than pandering to straight audiences in tedious superhero adjacent films.

• Like 6

I think they are not making as much money as their predecessors. 

• Like 3

Work ethic aside, they just don't possess the same it factor as the previous crop sorry to say. I can see the new ones have the drive, but they just don't hit the same

• Thanks 4

not like they cancelled their works and talk show dates, the demand are reasonable for pop girls from shoot to performance. it's... less visible towards public because they all promo in tiktok atm.

Most are just glorified TikTokers/influencers

• Like 1

I understand that media consumption has changed but really only Taylor pulls out all the stops. Maybe Drake too. Remember when he plastered himself on every spotify playlist cover:rip:

I do miss the days when we'd be perched at 7AM to watch our faves on Good Morning America tho

2 minutes ago, geodude said:

I understand that media consumption has changed but really only Taylor pulls out all the stops. Maybe Drake too. Remember when he plastered himself on every spotify playlist cover:rip:

I do miss the days when we'd be perched at 7AM to watch our faves on Good Morning America tho

Taylor is lazy with promo now too. little to no talkshows, no live performance, no magazine covers.  (I am not pretending she doesn't have alot of promo. But it isn't the type I would praise her work ethic for.  Her team ensures she has a lot of promo but it's tiktok and spotify promotion not something she is doing herself).

Even for Taylor, that type of promo isn't worth it anymore.

47 minutes ago, Iaintsorry said:

Work ethic aside, they just don't possess the same it factor as the previous crop sorry to say. I can see the new ones have the drive, but they just don't hit the same

It also seems like the new generation of stars are targeting a much younger audience than the last gen ever did

Rihanna, Gaga, Katy, Beyonce all made pop songs, but they never really felt oriented to teens only

Sabrina, Olivia, Tate all seem to be for a very young audience and like someone over 30 could never enjoy their music

• Like 2

Networks like MTV, VH1 and BET used to carry the industry, obviously. The music video countdowns, docs and award shows were events for the entire household, so there were bigger and better slots to fill that required more of an investment production wise, so they had to secure hard working artists worth the investment. The new girls today just have to maintain a level of interest on social media that attracts sponsors who will pay them to do the bare minimum. It's just a matter of what they themselves are willing to invest in from there as the labels take note. Investing in new music, rehearsals, singing lessons etc quickly becomes less of priority all together for a lot of the newer girls, especially when the talent was already lacking. It's easier to just be hot and post on the gram/tiktok for a quick check. 

Edited by BGKC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not even close 

Fast Food Face GIF by MOODMAN

Machete

Did the old girls have more work-ethic or were they just in stricter more slave-like contracts?

Music contracts have become more freeing overtime due to artists of the past speaking up on their experiences. See Olivia Rodrigo owning her masters out of the gate.

• Like 2

The shift from TV, talk shows, award shows, music channels, radio and so on to social media just made it nearly impossible to maintain public interest for long.

14 minutes ago, Machete said:

Did the old girls have more work-ethic or were they just in stricter more slave-like contracts?

Music contracts have become more freeing overtime due to artists of the past speaking up on their experiences. See Olivia Rodrigo owning her masters out of the gate.

Contracts were pretty similar.  The heavy promotion they did wasn't written into the contracts.

However, promo was key to success back then.  No success meant that they would get lower budgets/get dropped. So they hustled.,

Olivia was able to own her masters due to her already being  a minor celebrity due to disney. but most new artists don't even have that much leverage so have to give up their masters.

Upcoming artist oftentimes replicate the behavior of the greats of their time. Beyonce, Pink, Gaga, Riri, etc all grew up in a time where they saw Whitney, MJ, Madonna etc everywhere.

The new girls see Beyonce, Taylor, etc doing the bare minimum in terms of traditional promo and kind of focussing more on savvy business moves. Thus we get this from the new wave of stars now. I wouldnt necessarily blame the new wave for it.

• Thanks 4

I truly think the music industry would benefit greatly if TikTok was banned in the US. Give us back our SUPERSTARS we do not want "relatable" artists

6 hours ago, teresaguidice said:

the reason they don't go on talk shows or whatever is not because they're lazy, its because the people watching those shows today are geriatric so its not where the labels are investing their time. its not 2008.

This + it's expensive.  

When I worked in the label world execs were questioning if they were worth the effort.  Money spent on hair, makeup, dancers, etc….and most times it never resulted in a bump in streams/sales (lately). Same with award show performances.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saintlor said:

It also seems like the new generation of stars are targeting a much younger audience than the last gen ever did

Rihanna, Gaga, Katy, Beyonce all made pop songs, but they never really felt oriented to teens only

Sabrina, Olivia, Tate all seem to be for a very young audience and like someone over 30 could never enjoy their music

how old are you

katy rihanna gaga etc were all for 25 and younger

if you were older than that age you had to be fckd drunk to be allowed to enjoy that music

i have an older brother and sister so i know just from them that this music was in fact for tweens 

The millennial pop girls don't even have that work ethic anymore.

• Like 1

im kind of sick of this tired narrative where you guys keep complaining about the new

like we get it, you're old 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.