Lonely Planet: Best In Travel 2024

mercurialworld

Lonely Planet is a leading travel media company and the world's largest travel guidebook publisher. They recently published their annual list of top destinations to visit in the upcoming year, including countries, cities, and regions. Let's look at them together :chick1:

badge.png

Top Countries:

1. Mongolia, Asia

2. India, Asia

3. Saint Lucia, Caribbean

4. Mexico, North America

5. Morocco, Africa

6. Chile, South America

7. Benin, Africa

8. Uzbekistan, Asia

9. Pakistan, Asia

10. Croatia, Europe

encampment-valley-Orkhon-River-Mongolia.jpg

Mongolia, Asia

Top Cities:

1. Nairobi, Kenya

2. Paris, France

3. Montréal, Canada

4. Mostar, Bosnia

5. Philadelphia, USA

6. Manaus, Brazil

7. Jakarta, Indonesia

8. Prague, Czech Republic

9. İzmir, Turkey

10. Kansas City, Missouri

7e865843-city-26243-164a4a25d83.jpg?width=1366&height=768&xhint=3968&yhint=1450&crop=true

Nairobi, Kenya

Top Regions:

1. Montana, USA

2. Donegal, Ireland

3. Trans Dinarica Cycling Route, Western Balkans

4. Kangaroo Island, South Australia

5. Tuscany, Italy

6. País Vasco, Spain

7. Southern Thailand, Thailand

8. Swahili Coast, Tanzania

9. Saalfelden Leogang, Austria

10. Far North Scotland, Scotland

Saint-Mary-Lake-Montana.jpg

Montana, USA

Any surprises? Have you visited any of these places before? Do you agree with Lonely Planet's choices? :johnald:

Posted (edited)

in my opinion, i think they got saint lucia, mexico, & morocco perfect. mongolia looks amazing & i'd love to visit it so i'm happy with it being #1! i feel like Kansas City & Philadelphia making it on the list for cities is so random but maybe there's something c*nty about it! :johnald: also happy mine is in the top 3!

Edited by mercurialworld

Paris still being this high on these lists is comical. Philly and Kansas City are random as hell, but I guess all the regions make sense.

• Like 1

Do not sleep on Kansas City. You're in actual BBQ Heaven (**** Texas)

• Like 3

You can tell they wanted to include "unique" countries rather than actual the best ones cuz wtf do you mean Pakistan, Benin and Uzbekistan :bibliahh:

Also doesn't Mongolia have some of the worst cuisine on earth, this alone should never make it #1, food is extremely important :sorry:

Edited by playboi

Going to Yellowstone in a few weeks and Seoul in September. Should be fun.

Some of the destinations on this list are

Billie Eilish Lol GIF by DASDING

Edited by Edit0rz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, playboi said:

You can tell they wanted to include "unique" countries rather than actual the best ones cuz wtf do you mean Pakistan, Benin and Uzbekistan :bibliahh:

Also doesn't Mongolia have some of the worst cuisine on earth, this alone should never make it #1, food is extremely important :sorry:

Pakistan and Benin I agree but Uzbekistan has it all - great culture, lots of history, amazing cuisine and it's dirt cheap. They relaxed their visa regime a few years ago too so visiting has become more accessible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playboi said:

Uzbekistan is going to be a major tourist attraction in the next few years. Very cheap, a lot of culture, good food, and a rich history that many brush over (the Silk Road alone makes this an interesting place).

Pakistan and Benin are also culturally and geographically interesting places!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, playboi said:

6 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

Uzbekistan is going to be a major tourist attraction in the next few years. Very cheap, a lot of culture, good food, and a rich history that many brush over (the Silk Road alone makes this an interesting place).

Pakistan and Benin are also culturally and geographically interesting places!

Honestly I've always wanted to visit Pakistan, so I don't disagree with its placement at all! It's so gorgeous & I love Pakistan food as it is

FairyMeadowsPakistanPatrickPoendlCanvaPr

Benin is an interesting choice, I'd love to learn more about the country

I've always wanted to visit Jakarta. It's so sad to hear that the city is sinking. :dancehall:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jotham said:

I've always wanted to visit Jakarta. It's so sad to hear that the city is sinking. :dancehall:

Which parts of Jakarta interest you? I've only gone there once in my life and I think it's fine, but not particularly fascinating. They only have one subway line (which is honestly good) and several commuter rail lines. The airport skytrain (between terminals) is freaking infrequent and closed early when I visited, and transferring from one terminal to another requires an expensive taxi ride after the skytrain's operating hours. 

_________

I really would like to recommend Uzbekistan to everyone! Flying to Uzbekistan can be quite cheap if you manage to snag a deal to get to the UAE and then fly on Wizz Air from Abu Dhabi to Samarkand or Tashkent the capital. Once you are in Uzbekistan, you can travel around by high speed rail quite easily. East Asian tourists made up a significant minority of inbound travelers. Getting around Tashkent was easy with the metro. Samarkand was absolutely terrific. Bukhara, Urgench, Termez, Nukus (with its private art collection) and Aral Sea spots are also very worth visiting. There are also some ancient forts and castles in the middle of the desert that you can visit with a guide, and it's fun to climb up and down while admiring the alien landscape. I was also quite lucky to find some companies that offer relatively cheap tours and transfers. It's also easy to arrange side trips to Tajikistan as well. 

Edited by Genius1111
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 3:43 PM, playboi said:

Such a weird choice 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.