Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

57 minutes ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

The story goes like this: the album was never planned to be released in the first place. She decided to announce the album out of the blue with the artwork, putting the label on blast without any notice, and basically forcing them to release something. Of course, this manœuvre didn't go to well as there was nothing to announce to begin with, no final tracklist, no date, nothing (explains also the long silence that ensued). 

Label decided to go with it but with minimal investment as to prove their point: the album is not solid enough and without any investment on our side you won't go anywhere. Don't expect any video or performance or anything, this is the whole project as it is. 

This perfectly captures exactly what I legit think may be going on. 

That or/and her budget is depleted on recording and elaborate videos and, as you said, the label aren't playing ball as much anymore. Especially given what you said about them wanting her to go Pop (I'm almost 100% certain is one of the big central issues). A "our way or the Tinashe-coded highway" tea.

I just wish the insiders would spill something. If it's "the album was released on some contractual ish and don't expect much else", it'd be amazing to know to manage expectations. If, there's this grand plan to be deployed (I have heard "a" video is a thing), it'd be great to be able to brace for it.  

• Like 1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Wonbin

• Cap87

• popularmoonlight

Yeah need insider tea about this albums bts drama bad...

It wouldn't shock me if Normani announced when nothing was ready to sort of force RCA to let her release. It worked though and Normani can't really hide how she feels about anything and she went on live during release week and shouted out RCA execs in a positive way and has interacted with the RCA instagram page recently too. I think she may just be happy that her album is finally out :laugh:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

The story goes like this: the album was never planned to be released in the first place. She decided to announce the album out of the blue with the artwork, putting the label on blast without any notice, and basically forcing them to release something. Of course, this manœuvre didn't go to well as there was nothing to announce to begin with, no final tracklist, no date, nothing (explains also the long silence that ensued). 

Label decided to go with it but with minimal investment as to prove their point: the album is not solid enough and without any investment on our side you won't go anywhere. Don't expect any video or performance or anything, this is the whole project as it is. 

This is not true. when she dropped album cover back in February one of the insiders said she has 2 dates for Q2, one of them was for single in April so it's not true that nothing was planned. she also had website with a pre-save and unlikely any artist can do without label's permission. RCA posted album cover just after she announced it instagram.com/p/C3n15OyvrYn/. artists can't post album cover without label's permission and approval.

• Like 4

Sorry but on the Terrell preview it almost seems like when she's asked about the videos her response looks like " something bigger is coming" because she has this paused grin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nefertiti0 said:

This is not true. when she dropped album cover back in February one of the insiders said she has 2 dates for Q2, one of them was for single in April so it's not true that nothing was planned. she also had website with a pre-save and unlikely any artist can do without label's permission. RCA posted album cover just after she announced it instagram.com/p/C3n15OyvrYn/. artists can't post album cover without label's permission and approval.

Look you don't have to believe me like you don't have to believe that 2 versions of the renaissance movies were scrapped but the label posted the album cover 2 full days after Normani after realizing that there was a bit of buzz around it and because they didn't have any other choice at this point. That said, they agreed to release it but the budget for this year was already done with no pocket for Normani. 

i understand why she did it and I understand also why they are going to fire her very soon. 

1 minute ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

the label posted the album cover 2 full days after Normani

it was posted on the same day February 21 and some websites, like pitchfork.com/news/normani-announces-debut-solo-album-dopamine/, had photo of cover from RCA on the same day

• Like 2

insomnia, tantrums and lights on are my fave tracks :chick1: solid debut album

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nefertiti0 said:

it was posted on the same day February 21 and some websites, like pitchfork.com/news/normani-announces-debut-solo-album-dopamine/, had photo of cover from RCA on the same day

Babe I am just giving you what I was told in my professional environnement. Her whole team was on it, including PR as it is handled at her team level not RCA. They were flabbergasted that's all I can tell you ! 

Edited by Monsieurgedeon

I'm with the label. There is no money to be made off of this album if there are no sure fire hits. I think it's great to stick to the quality of music that she wants to put out but at the end of the day, if that isn't what is hot or marketable or what your label whats...then there are other artists who are willing to do it. 

Why promote more $ into videos (see Wild Side) if they aren't going to make them $ back in return. It's a game, sadly. 

At this point, I am also not expected a music video for Candy Paint (the only song that could potentially be on pop radio from the album) 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Mke1979 said:

At this point, I am also not expected a music video for Candy Paint (the only song that could potentially be on pop radio from the album) 

What about Take My Time :giraffe:

38 minutes ago, Sergiov said:

Wasn't a video for Candy Paint ready to go years ago? Why is not being released now? 

Because it was filmed with budget allocated to last year. This fiscal year there is just 0 dollars to push for her. They have no media budget to push it or re-edit it and they decided that they would rather cut their losses than collecting a video with 100k views. 

Edited by Monsieurgedeon

i can't get over how good this album is…like it's the perfect mix of crossover appealing songs combined with normani's musical safe space of ambient, mid tempo 2000s r&b inspired records; i love the slight experimental production here especially on all yours. the mismanagement of her career is so depressing bc hit potential is on many of the songs on DOPAMINE and this album deserves to reach the level it aims for :WAP:

Edited by Dolce Vita
  • Like 2

The CP video and 1:59 video were filmed this year. That person is trolling.

Edited by AFullMoonlight
  • Like 1

The candy paint video has been filmed last year at the same time as the Bose ad that was part of the launch package. Of course things have been delayed afterwards. Alright that's my last post on this topic take it as you wish I just wanted to share the few info I had on this particular rollout. 

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Sergiov said:

Wasn't a video for Candy Paint ready to go years ago? Why is not being released now? 

I don't think so. A snippet leaked because she was dancing to it and the Fair release party but the reliable insiders that we KNOW are reliable said that RCA last year didn't want her to even release Candy Paint as a single. They wanted another song called DUI that sounds like Blinding Lights by The Weeknd so they send both to DSPs and it turned out that the radio programmers liked Candy Paint more but nothing ever came out other than the Bose ad.

Also someone is in here writing straight up fanfiction pretending to be an insider even now. The album is out. No need to do that :deadbanana:

On 6/19/2024 at 11:54 AM, collin said:

People do this all the time, such as her label mate SZA as well as Nicki Minaj.

Hmmmm.

Okay.

Thanks.

The candy paint video was definitely filmed this year lol. There was pics of her filming it. And what about the album trailer ? Clearly there was some type of budget. I seriously doubt her announcing her album without the label approving is something her or her management would do or let her do. I'm sure she wanted her project out but she's not an idiot 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.