Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

I was expecting worse tbh. She def would have sold more if they had physicals. She was either set up to fail or this truly was a soft launch. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Cap87

• Sad Beautiful Tragic

• popularmoonlight

this very much feels like a tinashe situation 

she needs to leave the label

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

None of the songs entered the top 200 on any streaming service and there weren't any physicals to boost the sales so I was expecting worse tbh.

An unfortunate situation all around, but at least she got to release the album and it's good. Once the era is done she needs to get tf out of that trash ass label and never look back.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Trip said:

I'm pretty sure her label just released this because they wanted an excuse to drop her so it's possible...

40 minutes ago, Trip said:

Aquarius debuted at #17 and then it got weird for her… :monkey:  This situation feels kinda worse cause atleast Tinashe's debut rollout made sense 

Best thing to do would be a new single in the fall imo

Edited by Tinashebanks

1 hour ago, Mezter said:

I'm pretty sure her label just released this because they wanted an excuse to drop her so it's possible...

Normani being dropped by RCA would be great for her TBH, she actually put out a solid critically acclaimed album, has a loyal fan base and would probably sell a lot of tickets touring (which is where the money is made in music)

Another label would pick her up and probably get more profit because she did her "artist development" in 5H and at RCA so she could just hit the ground running with a second album. Vs them investing in some random Tiktoker who many flop after one song

• Like 2

I'm surprised Little Secrets is the 2nd least streamed song on the album, that's my fave song :rip:

• Like 3

Im surprised theres no performances if there isnt going to be videos.

52 minutes ago, Friendlyreminder said:

Normani being dropped by RCA would be great for her TBH, she actually put out a solid critically acclaimed album, has a loyal fan base and would probably sell a lot of tickets touring (which is where the money is made in music)

Another label would pick her up and probably get more profit because she did her "artist development" in 5H and at RCA so she could just hit the ground running with a second album. Vs them investing in some random Tiktoker who many flop after one song

That's not really how it works.

*If* she gets dropped / leaves, it's going to be with the label of having flopped, meaning she has barely any leverage to negotiate a favorable deal for herself.

Being a "flop" puts you in a worse position than being new and unproven. Lower budget, less creative freedom etc...

Artist development is pretty much dead these days. Labels invest little in that, therefore being "developed" isn't much of an advantage either.

Additionally, labels expect their (newer) acts to be very proactive when it comes to marketing themselves on social media. Normani has never been great at that and even less so in recent years.

Tldr; I hope Normani and RCA have some grand masterplan to turn this era around that we are just not seeing yet and that she doesn't get dropped.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bacardo Royale said:

I'm surprised Little Secrets is the 2nd least streamed song on the album, that's my fave song :rip:

Probably has to do w/ its placement in the tracklist.

28 minutes ago, 40_L3VE said:

Artist development is pretty much dead these days. Labels invest little in that, therefore being "developed" isn't much of an advantage either.

Sorry, but for me your take here does not make sense, the point the poster before you was trying to make, is that labels unwilling to spend coins on artist development, don't need to spend any on Normani in that department.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, indochine said:

Sorry, but for me your take here does not make sense, the point the poster before you was trying to make, is that labels unwilling to spend coins on artist development, don't need to spend any on Normani in that department.

I'm saying it's a wash.

Whether Normani has prior artist development or not, labels are not gonna spend regardless.

It's not the advantage the other poster thinks it it because labels care more about your ability to go viral on social media than holding a note, putting on a good performance or handling yourself in an interview.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40_L3VE said:

I'm saying it's a wash.

Whether Normani has prior artist development or not, labels are not gonna spend regardless.

It's not the advantage the other poster thinks it it because labels care more about your ability to go viral on social media than holding a note, putting on a good performance or handling yourself in an interview.

Still, putting on a good performance people talk about is a way to go viral. Normani is a seasoned performer, if given the opportunity and platform she could definately create buzz again with her performances (like she did in the past). Like, I don't see tik tok influencers exclusively dominating the music indurty..

• Like 1

I need y'all to stop playing Create a Label and open CapCut/TikTok :ghostface:

• Like 2

Little Secrets is so good, its so Rated R coded

• Like 1

i trust in a few years the gp will discover big boy and itll be a tiktok hit and this album will be avenged 

• Like 2

Still is the most popular of the new songs on TikTok.

12 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Still is the most popular of the new songs on TikTok.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by its TikTok numbers. Still nowhere close to being "viral" and it won't have a streaming effect at this level, but it's showing a bit of promise there.

Also, Candy Paint is back to showing a bit of promise - its two main sounds have gained about 100 combined videos so far today. Again, not enough to be viral, but it could eventually turn into something. If the video exists, though, they really need to release it ASAP :deadbanana:

• Like 2

We need a black/white smoke vinyl so bad :jonny: take my money 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shelven said:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by its TikTok numbers. Still nowhere close to being "viral" and it won't have a streaming effect at this level, but it's showing a bit of promise there.

Also, Candy Paint is back to showing a bit of promise - its two main sounds have gained about 100 combined videos so far today. Again, not enough to be viral, but it could eventually turn into something. If the video exists, though, they really need to release it ASAP :deadbanana:

Yes, I've really come around to Still's viral potential tbh.

I'm listening now and this is a good pop album. It's a shame.

Gonna ask an honestly and potentially silly question but wouldn't it cost a label more money to invest in a video and then shelve it ? I'm not saying that's the case here - just wondering. Because releasing the visuals at this point will only help the era w streams 

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.