Why couldn't Adele keep her momentum like Taylor did?

A Million Lights

Did the GP realize she kept releasing the same songs again and again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cuteboyzay

• NoName

• Taylena

• Blade Runner

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Laziness. Adele abandons her "eras" the moment an album is dropped. 

• Like 5

Longer breaks and she was a low promo girl which is the opposite of Taylor

She never wanted the astronomical heights that 21 and 25 reached and priorities changed after motherhood

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

I mean after hello it lowkey felt she gave up on promoting much.

1 minute ago, naval23 said:

which is the opposite of Taylor

What promo did she do for TTPD that 30 for example didn't have?

• Like 4

she didn't rerelease her catalogue for sympathy and money

Edited by Miley Cyrus
  • Like 8
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 23

No, you did not do this comparison. Adele at her peak SQUASHED Taylor's current popularity peak, especially outside of the US.

That monstrous peak was followed up by a semi-liked album and she keeps growing with every record. Adele sounds like someone in her 30s, Taylor wouldn't have half of the audience if she didn't have songs that are written to appease teens and pre-teens. Also, Adele's only underperforming album opened to 800k units first week and had a 10-week #1 smash on the Hot 100, so while she has decreased in popularity she's still super big. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 32
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 30

She didn't want to keep up

Also her peak at the time was insanely big

I would just enjoy life after like her

Music promo, keeping up hype and sales are exhausting, Taylor's drive is absolutely insane

Also Adele still has 21 which is the most successful album of all time, that will probably never be passed at least in a very long time

• Like 7

i mean, from 2011-2017 Adele's music was putting up huge numbers and everyone loved her and knew her songs by heart. let's not forget that taylor's current dominance didn't start until she released folklore during the pandemic, so i don't understand "keep her momentum"

as much as people like to rag on 30 she still got a huge hit, debut numbers, and solid album sales. even her concert special drew 12M viewers which is massive in today's market

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Adele lost weight and went Rastafarian, so became un-relatable to her fan base.

I mean....I think we have to wait until her 5th album to determine if she's truly lost her momentum tbh.

But, for now, it boils down to this.

1. She's not a prolific artist in general. She goes on hiatuses between her albums which is often a gamble for many artists because they can risk being brushed aside in favor of other artists who blew up or become more active. 

2. Her albums have very little changes stylistically. Ballads and Blue Eyed Soul are basically what you can expect from any of her albums. And, while she does great in that lane, it can get a bit stale after a while especially when it's become clearer that she was trying to capture that lightning in a bottle that occurred with 21 after every release after 21. 

3. She doesn't do "eras" period. At first, people found this to be alluring about Adele. People were basically praising Adele as the "anti-Gaga" who didn't need costumes, gimmicks, fashion, or controversy to sell albums. That's what OGH's in the early 2010's said very often. However, over time, I think people started growing tired of Adele's complete lack of effort in not serving creativity in her rollouts and just trying to let the music do everything for her. It doesn't help either that Gaga proved herself to be a strong ballad singer herself while still maintaining her creative edge. 

4. Adele's fanbase was more so GP oriented or came from casuals and adults who enjoyed her singles and albums but weren't really all that invested in her as a person. As a result, you won't see many people speaking on her much outside of her album cycles which can make her feel almost invisible in pop culture despite her sales. 

Edited by Storm653
  • Like 3

She didn't have the double punch of Folklore/Evermore reinvented Taylor's career and sealed her as one of music's biggest legend.

Everything she does after 21 felt simply like attempts to recapture that magic but each time with worsening results.

• Like 2

She was too big and she doesn't strike me as the type of person that wants that type of level of fame. So it's only natural she takes a few years to decompress.

28 minutes ago, Taylena said:

What promo did she do for TTPD that 30 for example didn't have?

taylor announced TTPD on grammies, adele announced 30 on social media for starters lol

It's because Taylor keeps growing her fanbase by consistently releasing new albums and re-recordings. Both Lover and Folklore had similar first week SPS to 30, and now it's impossible for A5 to even compete with TTPD.

I also don't think Adele really cares about being the biggest artist in the music industry. She would've been on a WW tour instead of performing in Vegas if she cared that much.

• Like 3

She has a son to focus.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Punky Rooster said:

Adele lost weight and went Rastafarian, so became un-relatable to her fan base.

girl :redface:

• Haha 5

Aside from 30 being too similar to 25 but with less commercial appeal, would Taylor have been where she is today if she:

2008: Released debut album

2011: Released 1989

2015: Released Reputation

2020: Released Lover

No, she probably wouldn't either. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

Taylor hungers for it. Adele doesn't. 

Did I just read an Adele "stan" call 25 a semi-liked album and that it's too similar to 30?

WTF

Edited by Taylor fanboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Did I just read an Adele "stan" call 25 a semi-liked album and that it's too similar to 30?

WTF

They are talking about 30 being semi liked, not 25.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Kiss It Better said:

- announcing the album at an award show

- announcing new variants every week

- the tiktok banner

just 3 examples, pretty sure she did more

35 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

taylor announced TTPD on grammies, adele announced 30 on social media for starters lol

I suppose that Adele's extensive display of large billboards across various cities worldwide in the months preceding the album's release does not qualify as promotion. :dies:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.