Pet Shop Boys shade Taylor "Where are the famous songs?"

Shelter

36 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

And yet, what is PSB's Billie Jeans again?

It`s a Sin, Go West, West End Girls, Always On My Mind...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• WildHeart

• LIDDOATIN

• Shelter

11 minutes ago, i spit on haters said:

We've been saying this. Taylor doesn't even have a 'Crazy in love' or 'Single Ladies' let alone a damn Billie Jean. Hell, not even a Toxic or BOMT. A Vogue or Like a virgin. Or even an Umbrella or We Found Love. 

I hear more about this *****'s victim complex and her many relationships than I do her music and artistry. Or lack there of. 

Billie Jean and Vogue were released at the peak of the vinyl era, Crazy in Love and Toxic were released at the peak of the CD and TRL era, and Umbrella and We Found Love were released at the peak of the downloads era. I get some of what you're arguing to an extent, but they're not fair comparisons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Venice B said:

Love them but this is the second time in a spam of a couple weeks Neil tried to go for Taylor like...? :sleep:

What did he say before? 

You don't get to be a big as she is without having big/known songs, just because she doesn't have a bona fide classic like BJ or Thriller doesn't mean she doesn't have famous or big songs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardoazevedo said:

It`s a Sin, Go West, West End Girls, Always On My Mind...

None of those tracks are objectively on that level outside the UK except for West End Girls, barely. Period, point blank.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

40 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

West End Girls? or Domino Dancing perhaps if someone is latino and likes freestyle or electronica.

Love Story

You Belong With Me

I Knew You Were Trouble

Shake It Off

Blank Space

Anti-Hero

Cruel Summer

Are all indisputable monster smashes… you don't have to like her music but you can't deny she's got the hits.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No idea who this fad is and don't care. Why do men feel compelled to say such stupid things?

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 8

7 minutes ago, Punky Rooster said:

Now there's one way she's the same as Madonna.

I don`t think PSB want press attention. Neil Tennent was a journalist on a music magazine, so he knows what he is saying, but you are in part correct, is fashionnable to use Taylor`s name to get press attention. Like Madonna.

This wasn't even a diss, I don't know why some stans are being precious about his comments.

It opens up an interesting conversation about monoculture and the move from radio/MTV to streaming; hit songs aren't as omnipresent as they used to be due to the abundance of choice and lack of cultural programming.

Edited by Yakult
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

They are not wrong. None of her hits are classics.

Do any of Taylor's songs come close to being a cultural hit like Crazy In Love, Bad Romance, Umbrella, Vogue, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Rhythm Nation, Baby One More Time and so on? I don't think she has made cultural impact just yet:giraffe:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

Omg I saw this event and I knew when he said this it would get to some people's heads. I mean, I was a bit confused as well, but look at it from this perspective: With streaming taking over the industry, the mainstream is falling apart and separate "mainstreams" can co-exist successfully.

Until the last decade, you still had gatekeepers in the industry that regulated the access to music: labels wete powerful, magazines had a huge reach, TV was a profitable way to promote... all of this is long gone. Cruel Summer has more streams than Billie Jean, but that doesn't mean both songs exist in the same public memory "space". That's just the way it is. That doesn't mean one of them is better (Neil thinks there's something lacking today, I don't agree with that, but it's different), it's just that we will need to find a way to adjust our shared perception of what makes a "classic".

Let me say again that Neil said he likes her music and her artistry. Like all of us, he is baffled how popular she has become and just thinks that her success is a different category from successful pop artists that came before her.

44 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

Pet Shop Boys shaped Western gay and pop culture, they deserve their flowers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

This is just categorically false lol. It's different demos. Yes, Billie Jean is huge. Most people do know it. However, as an early 20s, I know several of my friends would NOT know that song. But they do know Our Song, YBWM, Love Story, IKYWT, ATW, WANEGBT, Shake it Off, Blank Space, Anti Hero, and Cruel Summer

It's simply different generations. And if he REALLY wants to play that game, my kid 60s father that lives on a farm knows of Love Story, YBWM, and Shake it Off just from cultural osmosis, and he's about as "out of touch" when it comes to pop culture as one can be

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Just now, LykkeLi said:

They are not wrong. None of her hits are classics.

Do any of Taylor's songs come close to being a cultural hit like Crazy In Love, Bad Romance, Umbrella, Vogue, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Rhythm Nation, Baby One More Time and so on? I don't think she has made cultural impact just yet:giraffe:

People say stupid **** like this as if Love Story, YBWM, Shake It Off, Blank Space aren't played at weddings, graduations, funerals :clack:

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Espresso said:

None of those tracks are objectively on that level outside the UK except for West End Girls, barely. Period, point blank.

Go West was a massive hit, like the other ones, the music world isn`t just USA, there are other big music markets. Period, point blank.

• Like 2

Old men think that the world orbits around them

For Millenials, Genz and Gen alpha she has a lot of classics.

SIO and Blank Space are undeniable classics

Also Cruel Summer will be up there soon, August and Cardigan are also getting there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 minutes ago, Yakult said:

This wasn't even a diss, I don't know why some stans are being precious about his comments.

It opens up an interesting conversation about monoculture and the move from radio/MTV to streaming; hit songs aren't as omnipresent as they used to be due to the abundance of choice and lack of cultural programming.

I just posted, but this is exactly the tea. Neil didn't say anything about the quality of music (I have never heard him talk negatively about the music of others), he makes a comment about the public reception. I know Swifties probably see this as another Damon Albarn situation, but Neil Tennant is as poptism as it gets, he is not coming for Taylor in any shape or form.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Yakult said:

He's smart enough then to have opined on that instead of using her as a convenient scapegoat like Noel Gallagher or Damon Albarn before him.

It's just tired at this point.

I thought this was about some guys working on a Pet Shop

gretchen-gifs.gif

• Haha 5

Just now, magazine said:

I thought this was about some guys working on a Pet Shop

gretchen-gifs.gif

It might as well be

gretchen-gifs.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, LykkeLi said:

Rhythm Nation

This cultural hit has roughly 10k daily streams pls be serious:rip:

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Espresso said:

He never stated anything about PSB being bigger. :deadbanana2: He compared to MJ only. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

I just posted, but this is exactly the tea. Neil didn't say anything about the quality of music (I have never heard him talk negatively about the music of others), he makes a comment about the public reception. I know Swifties probably see this as another Damon Albarn situation, but Neil Tennant is as poptism as it gets, he is not coming for Taylor in any shape or form.

Correct.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.